Local HD Channel Issues

redelephants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Panhandle Florida
Here is my dilemma, I have a problem with my HD local channels coming from the Panama City, FL DMA. My HD locals are located on 129 Satellite. The signal levels average around 28-30 on a very clear day. The problem that I am experiencing is during the evening hours my audio loses sync to the video and the picture begins to pixelate and freeze. When this happens my signal drops below 10. Could it be that the Sat is wobbling enough at times to knock me out of the spot beam coverage? According to the spot beam maps I am not located in the green ring, but the yellow ring. I had a tech come out and install a "wing dish" pointed at 61.5 to see if the signal improved only to find out my HD locals aren't even on that SAT, they are on 129. So now I have a wing dish pointed at 61.5 for nothing. I have placed a call to corporate and they are willing to cancel my commitment, but want to send an "advance tech" out to my house first. My question is whether I will be able to resolve my fringe coverage with a larger dish, or should I just give up and deal with a non reliable HD local signal.

Here is my dilemma, I have a problem with my HD local channels coming from the Panama City, FL DMA. My HD locals are located on 129 Satellite. The signal levels average around 28-30 on a very clear day. The problem that I am experiencing is during the evening hours my audio loses sync to the video and the picture begins to pixelate and freeze. When this happens my signal drops below 10. Could it be that the Sat is wobbling enough at times to knock me out of the spot beam coverage? According to the spot beam maps I am not located in the green ring, but the yellow ring. I had a tech come out and install a "wing dish" pointed at 61.5 to see if the signal improved only to find out my HD locals aren't even on that SAT, they are on 129. So now I have a wing dish pointed at 61.5 for nothing. I have placed a call to corporate and they are willing to cancel my commitment, but want to send an "advance tech" out to my house first. My question is whether I will be able to resolve my fringe coverage with a larger dish, or should I just give up and deal with a non reliable HD local signal.

I have the same problem, just go with it. Watching WJHG local then National NBC. The strength improves with National broadcast and drops with locals. This is what happens in my case. I think it has to do with the locals broadcast. I will check levels and get back to you.

I hope this helps. Confused why they put a wing dish for 61.5 with our locals on 129?

i have no idea why on earth they wasted an install on a wing dish pointed at 61.5. I have determined that the downconverted SD feed gives me no problems, resulting in a lack of spotbeam coverage for HD feed. They came and removed the wing dish today.

i have no idea why on earth they wasted an install on a wing dish pointed at 61.5. I have determined that the downconverted SD feed gives me no problems, resulting in a lack of spotbeam coverage for HD feed. They came and removed the wing dish today.

Just checking back with you, I'm watching WJHG @ 5pm cst. My signal level is at 60. The local news PQ is not as crisp as the National Feed, but as you mentioned it is a downcoverted SD feed.

If you need me to continue to check signal levels through the evening just let me know. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)