local HD

zexel8888

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I have a quick ? Can you receive HD locals with a 942 or do you need a 622 ?

To get satellite HD locals you need either the 622, the 211 or the 411. You can get OTA locals with the 942 (with an antenna).

I have a quick ? Can you receive HD locals with a 942 or do you need a 622 ?
Depends on your market. Most locals are still in MPEG2. The newest ones are in mpeg4 or at least coded for MPEG4. The 942 can't decode the mpeg4.

So if your market is still mpeg2, which it most likely is, yes you can get HD locals if dish offers them.

Depends on your market. Most locals are still in MPEG2. The newest ones are in mpeg4 or at least coded for MPEG4. The 942 can't decode the mpeg4.

So if your market is still mpeg2, which it most likely is, yes you can get HD locals if dish offers them.

You're passing along some very incorrect information.

HD Locals on Dish have always been mpeg4 except NYC and LA which started as mpeg2 with the vip-only flag which caused them to require an mpeg4 receiver anyways. Now NYC and LA are true mpeg4. The only mpeg2 HD local (not even plural) ever available was way back when Dish was offering distant CBS HD for NYC and LA.

The answer is get an OTA. I have a 942 with an antenna on the roof and get all my locals in HD via the OTA feed. In fact, I get about about 35 digital channels via the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts