Local HS football team and coach show TRUE courage!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I heard about this story this morning and I was so proud of these kids! I thought it was a story that ALMOST has a happy ending and a story that should be told.

Broward football players, coach save 3 in canal crash

BY LARRY BLUSTEIN AND ADAM H. BEASLEY
lblustein@MiamiHerald.com

After a prep football competition in Tampa, the trip home for a group of Hollywood Hills players was typical as they crossed the state along the rim of Lake Okeechobee: rainy, rural and dark.

Then a waving man on the side of the road caught the eye of their coach, who was behind the wheel of their van.

Over the course of the next hour, they went from athletes to heroes.

The four players and their coach rescued a Flagler Beach couple and their granddaughter Sunday night from an SUV, overturned and sinking in a canal along U.S. 27 outside Clewiston.

All three survived the crash, although the grandmother, Juanita Carrillo Bryan, 53, was in critical condition and later died at Lee Memorial Hospital's intensive care unit in Fort Myers on Wednesday.

''It was something out of a movie,'' said coach Scott Barnwell, a former kicker for the University of Miami Hurricanes. ``I jumped in and found that there were people inside [the car]. It was all a blur after that.''

Bryan was unconscious with her head below water when the team, returning from a football tournament at the University of South Florida, saw the flipped Nissan SUV about 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

She was likely saved by the quick actions of Hollywood Hills junior Jared Maldonado, who revived the unresponsive woman with CPR, a skill he learned in school as a ninth-grader.

''At a time like that, it's like not even being in your own body,'' Maldonado said. ``One moment, we're riding back and talking about the two days at USF, and the next thing you know is that you are trying to save lives.''

UNEXPECTED DRAMA

Maldonado was traveling with Barnwell and teammates Alvin Arnold, Clarence Murphy and Anthony Yerou.

Along with the man who had flagged them down -- another passerby who stopped when he discovered the overturned vehicle -- the team began disassembling the SUV to get to the victims.

Minutes before, Bryan had been northbound on U.S. 27 with her husband, James Bryan, 56, and their 2-year-old granddaughter, whose name has not been released by the Hendry County Sheriff's Office.

Apparently traveling too fast, the SUV hit standing water, slid off the highway and flipped, trapping the passengers.

When the team discovered the accident, the water inside the vehicle was already four feet deep and rising, Barnwell said.

The group had to take off the door from its hinges, and then pulled out the little girl, who was secured in a car seat in the back. They got James Bryan out quickly, but his wife's rescue was difficult.

She was trapped, under water and not breathing. Another passing motorist, Waddy Thompson, of LaBelle, cut the seat belt away, and the group pulled her free.

''My heart sunk,'' Barnwell said. ``She was gone. I couldn't hear her breathing, but I still felt there was hope if we got her out and up on the banks fast enough.''

CPR TRAINING

After the players grabbed Juanita Bryan and dragged her to shore, Maldonado began CPR. It was dark, making it difficult to see her face, so the junior lineman relied on his training.

''At first, I was shocked and overwhelmed by seeing what I thought was a dead body,'' said Maldonado, an offensive lineman. ``I had taken CPR in the ninth grade, but never thought I would use it -- not like this.''

Maldonado pushed in sets of 30 chest compressions. During the second set, he saw the woman move, and by the third set, she was making noise and spitting up water. Medics later airlifted her to Lee Memorial Hospital.

Barnwell was a one-time police officer in Miami-Dade County, so he had seen similar situations before. Still, when he had a chance to gather his thoughts, he was struck by how the four young men instinctively sprang into action.

''I am so proud of these young men for the way they never hesitated to save a life,'' Barnwell said. ``To me, Clarence, Alvin, Anthony and Jared are heroes and examples of what this generation holds.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1140326.html

Great story Salsa. Too often we hear only negative stories about our athletes. Even at the high school level. We need reminders like this that there are many, many more fine young men and women who know how to do the right thing. I am a hard core Phillies fan but my best years are behind me now. I don't keep as up to date as I once did. I do know that Jamie Moyer is very active in some foundations that benefit many people. I have also heard Jimmie Rollins is quite active. Jimmie was featured on ESPN recently helping someone for Make a Wish foundation. I have a great nephew who was the beneficiary of a good time courtesy of Make a Wish and the Philadelphia Eagles. It would be great to hear more of these stories along with the normal back and forth that goes on here. Really enjoy your input even though I don't always agree. Everybody knows I'm the only one that is always right. That is until I say something. ;)

Yep! Too many blogs are loaded with negative stories and not enough good stories that make you wanna think that our future could be in good hands....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)