Local Sears Voom Reports...

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
If you have visited your local Sears store and will like to make a report of VOOM, please do in this thread. I think it will benefit all of us if you stay:

(1) location of Sears Store
(2) HD or SD channels that you were able to see... (comment on quantity and quality).

If your local Sears store does not carry VOOM yet, it will also be important to report it. Thanks.

P.S. I had given various VOOM people that I met at the Press Conference this site URL. They may or may not look at this Forum. Also, remember that VOOM is in its early stage, so please point any negative and positive about the system.

Went Thurs. 10/16 Winchester, VA

As usual, I knew more about the Voom service than the 2 dweebs at the local Sears. They at least had a display up but no service. The box locked up trying to navigate the menus that were showing!. The dweebs said that they tried to contact Voom themselves for an install but got hung up on by Voom!!!!

Get this, the demo showing was from a DVD run through a Samsung HD931 DVD player!
The dweebs even admitted that what they know about Voom was from the DVD demo loop.

The remote looked like it came from a Clown branded TV! Lots of perty colors!

So far a waste of time. It does have potential. The brochure available stated that the 28 channels are available but the web site states only 23 incl. the 21 Voom channels & DiscoveryHD & an Intro Voom are available now. The rest later (after 2/1/04).

Thus there are NO add on packages now.

I am still tempted to sign up for the 23 channels. However, once I get a Dish 921, I would not need any addon channels with Voom due to the Dish HD pack & HD DVR!!

Robert

Friday, Oct. 17. Sears in East Northport, NY (15-20 minute drive to Cablevision's HQ in Bethpage) had NO voom, no receiver, no display, nothing. Dweeb there managed to find a brochure which I declined. He said that MAYBE they'd have something in and set up in a couple of weeks. What a joke!

Ann Arbor

Sear's store at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor, Mi.

They had a semi-working system on launch day, but I could never get a full screen of anything, only the little pre-view window in the guide would work. Everytime you tried to 'watch' a channel, the system would either say can't find signal or put up the pin number screen. And since the local sales people were not aware that someone had programmed a pin number, that avenue didn't work.

I went back yesterday thinking that they might have these problems sorted out. The system was turned off.
I asked for it to be turned on, but they could get nothing but a blue screen on the TV. (yes, we checked all inputs and cables).

So, no VOOM to see yet in Ann Arbor.

The Sears staff continue to say they are waiting for the 'rep' or the 'installer' to show back up and make it work right. I wonder if the VOOM people have any idea they supposed to make a return visit?

I went to the Sears in Meriden, CT on Saturday.

They had the VOOM Display setup, but the TV was showing the Dish Network HDTV demo channel.

I pulled the receiver out to see how it was hooked up and a sales guy cam over to see what I was doing.

He told me the VOOM receiver "Blew up" and they hoped to have another working unit by Tuesday.

So far a bumpy road for VOOM.

Sears- Camp Hill (Harrisburg), PA:
VOOM display atop rear-projection TV, complete with Motorola receiver and very nice fold-out color brochure. TV was not turned on. I assume the receiver locked up so they just shut it down.

Sears - Birmingham, AL (Century Plaza):

They had up VOOM posters. I could not find any receiver. After 10 minutes of looking I found a sales guy. He said the VOOM people put up the posters and gave them a DVD about VOOM.

He said they did not give them a receiver.

Louisville, KY Sears: VOOM dish and receiver installed on Mitsu WS55413 not hooked up or working. All associates say the system is useless.

Elizabethtown, KY Sears: VOOM dish and receiver installed on a Mitsu WS48413. Receiver is working with some programming available. From what I could tell, you could access some info channel, similar to the remote help channel on Dish. Also they were running some sort of screen saver channel that had some lava lamp image with the VOOM bug in the bottem right corner of the image...but it was reversed and said MOOV. Weird...:?

Just visited Sears at the Bronx (NYC). No Voom System set up. I asked whether Yonkers will have it and the salesman said "no". It's crazy that they did not think of setting anything here in NYC.

I went to my local Sears. The had a Voom Display over the top and bottom of a Mits 57" HDTV. The TV was not on. There was a Voom receiver on top of the set. The salesman said that someone had stolen the remote, so they could not demonstrate Voom. No demo, no purchase.

Moov is one of the HD channels. I think it is a mood channnel. A lava lamp does set a mood., but I wouldn't call watching a lava lamp, a channel.

"He told me the VOOM receiver "Blew up" and they hoped to have another working unit by Tuesday. "

Hey Scott- So the VOOM went Ka-BOOM ? LOL

Last Saturday I was at the Sears Store in Duluth, MN. They've got this whole room dedicated to VOOM. Went in there and grabbed a brochure, but all they had on the TV was Dish HDTV promo. I asked them to see how Voom worked and when they turned it on, all that was on there was a blue screen and some random numbers on the screen. They said "Voom was working on getting it operational"

Not for me...sorry

This has been the biggest dissapointment about V*. Their single retailer cannot get a working V* system to display it to potential customers. V* must know this and I find it quite amazing that I have read that only 1 person had a working system and it did not have all the channels. I do not kow why V* does not get all these receivers at the different Sears store to work. Maybe this is an indication of things to come (who knows?)...

As I mentioned in another thread, I went to a Sears in a Mall in Orange Connecticut.

When I went to their Electronics Department, I asked and was told that they removed their VOOM Display as it did not work. The only VOOM thing they had was a single Voom poster hanging from the roof.

In Beaumont , Texas, the Sears store actually has a voom receiver and remote set up for all to see. Right next to Dish hd channel on the rest of the tvs. You can only see one channel on Voom as they aren't authorized for anything else. That channel is the weather and news channel. Acutally no news yet just a weather map. The Sears employee tried to scan to any other channel with the remote and each one said no subscription for these channels.

I asked him if anyone has bought the Voom system and he said no one had even asked what it was until I came in. The Voom system had been up since the 3 rd week in October.

Most people I talk to in my work place don't even have a clue what hd is and won't take satellite tv since there are no locals on Dish or Directv. I can't even give away my Club Dish certificates to friends or family. You would think that Digital Cable was the best thing that most in my home town have ever seen. Ask them if they know what a dvr is and they say: HUH!! Is it like a vcr????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)