Voom, Are you ready? (1 Viewer)

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
Are you on the fence about Voom? Are you ready to jump in the van wagon? are you playing the waiting game to see what's going to happen? are you not interested at all?


I wonder how many people are waiting for the beta testers to figure out all the bugs and then jump in...
 

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,825
3
Moreno Valley, CA
I don't have HDTV so am not interested in VOOM right now. Even when I do get an HD set I don't think I would change from E* because they don't have the SD channels my family wants to watch. If VOOM became more competetive with their SD lineup, or had 480P versions of the channels we watch most then I might consider it. VOOM may have some value for those who are just getting in to HD and have only OTA or SD cable right now. It seems that their current lineup would be a good match with basic cable. I hope their box tunes analog cable channels!
 

JosephF

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2003
38
0
I'll go with E* when I finally make the move to HDTV. At least I know what most of their warts are and know I can live with them.
 

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
99,168
16,968
Newington, CT
I must admit at the moment I am not too excited about VOOM, $800 is a lot of money to lay down forum 90% unkwon HD content.

If VOOM had a $399 receiver only package I would probably jump on it though, although $99 a month for all the HD services is a little bit too much.
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
V* is good proposition if you have the patience and money to spend at this moment. The initial $800 is not a bad deal (30 days back money guarantee) if you look at the whole package. This initial fee will be an obstacle that will keep a lot of us out. Right now, E* has a few receivers that will be out (including the 921) and D* will have HD Tivo. So, a lot of E* and D* subscribers will feel the burden to invest $800 on an unproven product like V*. Yet, I may say that it will not keep us from looking further into the future.

(1) if V* receiver proves to be an stable receiver with all the bugs out.
(2) if the V* initiation fee drops around $400.
(3) if these 21 exclusive channels prove to be solid in their content.
(4) if V* adds more HD channels such as ESPN, HBO, INHD, and the ones that will be coming.

These are a lot of 'if's' but I am sure that once V* can give me positive answers to all these 'ifs', I could jump the V*. I'll keep my options open. I am taking a wait and see approach...
 

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
1,147
1
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am on the wait and see band wagon. Too many "if's" at this point. I don't see them being around too long right now. I see them being sold off.
 

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
904
0
Bergen co NJ
I have a difficult situation..where i live i have E* for hdtv and D*for the rest.because of the viewing angles(height in sky) since E* is taking away one by one the HDTV from the 61.5 sat which has a 40 degree angle and putting them at ones that have 20's i cannot get them without cutting major trees and mounting the "super dish" on a lampost (15' from the curb on my property) the town says NO WAY ,now i can fight siting the FCC but there are clauses about roofs vs land) and it is ugly and will tick off neighbors,oh yes plus the cost of running underground cable from the post to my set about $700 so my only alternative is VOOM or directv getting more sats next year at 101(i do get that).so i will get voom but only when all these horrible install stories are over (see yahoo voom)nand they add HBO and some other majors../.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top