Local Stations-Are They in HD over Satellite

Stoofpilot

Aug 8, 2007
I have been thinking about leaving Cable for either Disk or Direct TV. I have a question about my local TV stations. Currently, I get the HD version of my locals using over the air and a Trek antenna. Both Dish and Direct say they have my local stations yet are they providing it with a standard definition signal or will it be an HD signal like I get with over the air.

If it is standard, then how do you guys deal with getting it digital?

Thanks

At this point it depends upon where you are at for locals in HD. Need that info first. Other than recording if you have a HD PVR stick with the over the air signal. It will give you the best picture.

Local stations are in HD only if you subscribe to them and you have the necessary equipment to receive them such as the H20 receiver along with the 5 LNB dish from DirecTV. Other than that, subscribed local stations will be in digital format only which is also a good signal but not as good as HD.

If you have an OTA antenna, you should be able to receive local station HD signals usually within a 50 mile range of the transmitting broadcast tower. OTA signals are far much better than an HD signal through a satellite dish. The OTA signal is the best HD signal you can get with a good line of sight connection. I personally would stick with the off the air signal for locals. If you prefer premium pay channels in HD, then consider the proper satellite dish and receiver for such services.

Thanks for the answers. I was in a Best Buy-Magnolia store section in Raleigh last week looking at a Pioneer Elite and the sales rep told me basically the same thing. He gets a better HD signal using OTA than with either cable or satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)