Local weather alert banner cancels HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

20fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
America's Rollercoast
Watching the NASCAR race and we have severe weather alert in our area. Local Fox network has a weather alert banner/radar pic on the screen and HD coverage is lost to SD coverage. Anyone know why this happens?

While dropping out of HD to run a weather crawl is done by the local Fox affiliate, it's because of the splicers that Fox gave their affiliates. The local fox stations can't insert their own graphics and crawls into the HD signal that comes from Fox. They can do it to their own local HD news cast. An engineer from my local Fox has discussed this in my locals thread at avsforum. He says they will soon get new splicers that will fix this issue.

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Greensboro, NC - HDTV

FYI - We are getting information that FOX will be demonstrating the long awaited new splicer features at NAB in a couple of weeks. I hear by the end of summer, stations should be able to do moving video (animated logos) along with weather crawls, EAS information and other crawl info while staying in HD during network.

What he said in Greensboro is correct -- because of the way FOX distributes their feed, the local station Master Control is effectively out of the circuit during network programming. To insert something over the feed, they have to switch from the network feed to the local Master Control, and the only video output that FOX provides for that purpose is COMPOSITE ANALOG.

However, if a station has an HD master control switcher, there are creative ways to circumvent this problem. :D

My local Fox (WSJV) doesn't broadcast local news in HD but, has the ability to run crawls over the national HD signal.

I'm not sure how they do it but it's cool with me.

our Fox affiliate has no issues with HD..

ABC does. They do the SD shuffle when weather approaches

What is really annoying is if you live several hundred miles from your "local" and they keep weather or breaking news banners up in SD or HD
and we can thank the NAB for having some huge ass DMA's..we have the same issue for Minneapolis

I noticed it on the local channels until they switched over to local HD broadcast....for awhile they'd drop out of HD and do local news/shows in SD. Slowly but surely all the locals have gone over totally HD and even their weather alert "crawlers" don't flip back to SD now. It really never bothered me but sometimes they'd take their time about flipping back to HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts