Locals in HD Rollout?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmags

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
the next wave of markets is due to start in april. does anyone have a tentative time frame(month by month) for each market? i am in hartford,ct and was hoping to watch the masters but thats not going to happen. lets hope for the us open, if not by oct for the world series you can say goodbye.

If hartford does not get them by october, the rest of the remaining markets are all scrud.

My guess for Hartford would be early June, perhaps late May.

i have heard 4/06 as the turn on date for mpeg4 locals in hartford. i've heard it through several higher tiered dtv employees. don't take it to the bank. just passing on what i have heard.

Last edited:
No disrespect to harford, but if bigger cities like seattle and pittsburg aren't getting them until later in april, I wouldn't bank on that.

none taken. just looking for a time frame to get locals. i hate having a $3000 plasma tv and the only hd channel i watch is espn. i hate to go back to cablevision but with locals in hd, rsn in hd, and hd-dvr it just gets more tempting.

I am in Baltimore. I just got the new dish today w/ H20. Does anyone know the exact timeframe that HD locals will be turned on? Thanks in advance.

DirecAnnapolis said:
I am in Baltimore. I just got the new dish today w/ H20. Does anyone know the exact timeframe that HD locals will be turned on? Thanks in advance.

April and there is no exact timeframe with D*.

I wish more people would post about confirmed dates or even general time periods for cities on this forum or in the local hd sticky above. I have only heard 2 confirmations from people who talked to directv or installers about even a general date, what about the rest of the cities in the current group, they can't all be 2 or 3 months behind pittsburgh.

There are no stated dates, only rumors. Of the group next in line, they will come online in packs of 6 or 6 most likely, and then 30 - 60 days later another 6 -8 and so on. Usually a few weeks before you will start to get firm dates.

Well, it's only a few weeks until Pittsburgh, if they are going to do anymore cities anytime soon we should be hearing more. What I meant though is not many have even seem to heard confirmation or rumors from directv or installers that they will be getting local hds at all, other than the vague press release.

Last edited:
Will there be special HD channels for locals(like ch 73 ESPNHD, while ESPN SD is 206) or will it be that your locals will appear in HD?

I believe the channels will be labeled like 12SD and 12HD, you will keep both your standard and high def local channels though, which makes sense if you have multiple tvs/receivers/recorders in the house that do not support hd.

FWIW, the CSR I spoke to this morning said that Hartford HD locals would start in April.

Wow, maybe they will be rolling these out faster than I thought, though CSRs are often clueless. Still that's 3 rumors I have heard about Hartford in april. There are 14 cities with a higher dma rank than hartford in this current group.

As stated in the other threads the official DirecTV plan is to have 76% of the DMAs HD locals rolled out by the end of 2006. Remember Spaceway 2 still needs to be fully tested, handed off to DirecTV and then their testing will begin.

Not at least getting accurate information released to customers is the direct result of not having to properly server customers who are in long-term contracts. I'm going to guess that many of you are in for another 2 years with the recent addition of the AT9 & H20.

They should, at the very least, have an e-mail or website update in your account area.

i've been hearing april/may 2006 for columbus oh (both a regular csr, and advanced tec, and retention), but then the flunkie installer i had for the at9, said not till 2009. so weigh both based on sources

Questioner said:
No disrespect to harford, but if bigger cities like seattle and pittsburg aren't getting them until later in april, I wouldn't bank on that.

The list they are going by, to light them up, is by market (coverage) size, not individual city size.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)