Locals in HD???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I just heard a rumor from a friend of mine (another DirecTV owner). He mentioned that a new satellite will allow me/us to get local channels in HD (here in the Detroit Metro Area). Is this true? What is the timeframe (or where can I find out that information)?

Also, will this mean I can stop relying on my OTA Antenna? During LIVE sporting events, it ALWAYS pixelates and freezes...so often that I have to watch it in "Regular" definition. It is SO frustrating...some have said it is because I live TOO CLOSE to the signal.

The latest of these new satellites is supposed to launch on 10/27/2005 and we would hope to hear some hardware rollout dates soon after the testing of that launch.

I have never heard of being too close, but maybe they meant you antenna was too big for your application. You might try the indoor Zenith Silver Sensor.

There actually is a test market in the Detroit area that is just launching. The dish is going to be a five LNB dish that is being broadcast in Ka Ku band. You will also need different equiment.

Techoftheyear said:
There actually is a test market in the Detroit area that is just launching. The dish is going to be a five LNB dish that is being broadcast in Ka Ku band. You will also need different equiment.

Even thought it is true the DET is to be the test market, how are they doing the test market right now? No press releases, no hardware announcement or rollout, no users reporting info and no final satellite in place. What info have you received and where from?

Longhorn, what do you make (or hear) on the early test?

I'll need NEW equipment? My HD receiver ALREADY gets the locals in HD from the OTA Antenna. Maybe I just need a new dish? I hope? Any answers from the "experts" out there?

cypher said:
I'll need NEW equipment? My HD receiver ALREADY gets the locals in HD from the OTA Antenna. Maybe I just need a new dish? I hope? Any answers from the "experts" out there?

To get the locals in HD via DirecTV (and the new MPEG4 channels) you will need the new dish AND new receiver. The new hardware will stil support your OTA. There a many threads here on the what the exchange/upgrade deal will be; although still mostly rumor/speculation/hearsay. However the change IS coming soon.

cypher said:
I just heard a rumor from a friend of mine (another DirecTV owner). He mentioned that a new satellite will allow me/us to get local channels in HD (here in the Detroit Metro Area). Is this true? What is the timeframe (or where can I find out that information)?

Also, will this mean I can stop relying on my OTA Antenna? During LIVE sporting events, it ALWAYS pixelates and freezes...so often that I have to watch it in "Regular" definition. It is SO frustrating...some have said it is because I live TOO CLOSE to the signal.

I'm in the Detroit area too. The only channel I seem to really have pixelating/freezing issues is CBS (Channel 62). The rest come in good with the OTA (now that I have taken the dyplexers off and ran direct to the receiver from the grounding strip).

Our locals will be on the new D* birds...should be ready in the next few months from the sounds of it. We'll need new equipment though (D* says they will replace for free, we'll see about that).

Proc said:
We'll need new equipment though (D* says they will replace for free, we'll see about that).

Actually DirecTV has said nothing official yet; the speculation on the boards from those supposedly in the know, are saying that it might be free to customers in good standing, it could also depend on length of service, current contractual standing, and will certainly require a new 2yr commitment.

Judging from past history DirecTV has a good track record for taking care of its customers and this should be no exception.

Locals in HD

cypher said:

If this has been asked/answered before, please forgive me.

Does anybody know how many local stations are currently broadcasting their own programming (local news, etc) in HD at this time?

charper1 said:
Even thought it is true the DET is to be the test market, how are they doing the test market right now? No press releases, no hardware announcement or rollout, no users reporting info and no final satellite in place. What info have you received and where from?

Longhorn, what do you make (or hear) on the early test?

My question also.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts