Locals Only W/ HD?

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
For a long time now, I have been giving thought to going OTA only. The vast majority of what I watch is available OTA. The only stuff I really watch on sat is stuff life The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Stargate Universe (all available on Hulu), and various reruns, available on the net and Netflix.

The only thing that has stopped me is the start up expense. Buying a DTVPal DVR or Tivo HD with service, installing an outdoor antenna (as my reception indoors is too unreliable on some channels), a Netflix streaming device, and so on. That, combined with uping my internet speed just didn't make it financially worth while. Paying just $42/month, as I do now, makes the business case not such a slam dunk.

But the thought has recently occurred to me. Dish used to offer a $9.99/month locals only plan. I'm wondering if it is still out there. Also, since the HD access fee is gone, are HD locals included? Can I, with a DVR fee, keep using my 622? And, do you think they might let me upgrade to a 922 eventually with such a dinky plan?

The only stuff I really watch on sat is stuff life The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Stargate Universe (all available on Hulu), and various reruns, available on the net and Netflix.

Don't count on that. With Comcast buying NBC/Universal, I'd bet money that any SyFy or USA show currently on Hulu is going to dry up. Can't speak for Viacom properties or anyone else, but Comcast envisions Fox, NBC, and ABC broadcast content on Hulu, but FX, USA, and Disney content being moved off.

Comcast takes control of NBC, promises not to crush Hulu -- Engadget

The only thing that has stopped me is the start up expense. Buying a DTVPal DVR or Tivo HD with service, installing an outdoor antenna (as my reception indoors is too unreliable on some channels), a Netflix streaming device, and so on.

TiVo HD is your only option for an OTA appliance; DTVPal DVR is dead. The good news is that the TiVo does Netflix, as do most Blu-ray devices (like the $180 Samsung BD-P1600). Any of those devices pays for itself in less than a year. You do need a minimum 6Mbps internet connection for SD, 10Mbps for Watch Instantly in HD. God forbid you're in a Comcast neighborhood where they implement throttling policies, or your 6Mbps connection turns into 3Mb every night at 6PM.

But the thought has recently occurred to me. Dish used to offer a $9.99/month locals only plan. I'm wondering if it is still out there. Also, since the HD access fee is gone, are HD locals included? Can I, with a DVR fee, keep using my 622? And, do you think they might let me upgrade to a 922 eventually with such a dinky plan?

I've heard it's doable. I think that Welcome Pack + Locals + DVR is neat, but I'd rather spend the same money on a TiVo subscription and bump up my Netflix or broadband connection one or two tiers.

You can get the Welcome pack for 9.99 and add locals for 5.00 more. If you own your receivers and do not have a commitment with DISH. My aunt has this pack and there is no hd enabling fee any longer, so this shouldn't stop you if you want an hd receiver. You have to ask for the Welcome pack because DISH doesn't advertise it.

The good news is that the TiVo does Netflix, as do most Blu-ray devices (like the $180 Samsung BD-P1600). Any of those devices pays for itself in less than a year. You do need a minimum 6Mbps internet connection for SD, 10Mbps for Watch Instantly in HD. God forbid you're in a Comcast neighborhood where they implement throttling policies, or your 6Mbps connection turns into 3Mb every night at 6PM.

According to Netflix, you should be able to get full HD streaming at 6.0Mbps:

The Official Netflix Blog: Encoding for streaming

This doesn't tell the whole story. At a minimum, you need to have 25% headroom over and above the stream itself, in the real world, more like 50% (hence the need for a 6.0Mbps connection to watch 3800kbps streams). You also have to take into account other uses of your home broadband connection at the same time that you want to watch a movie, or have a home router that's configurable enough to ensure a full 5.7Mbps goes to your streaming appliance (TiVo, BD-P1600, etc).

I've been thinking about doing exactly the same thing that you're contemplating, Roberts, and I've had a few months of unemployment to research it. :)

You can get the Welcome pack for 9.99 and add locals for 5.00 more. If you own your receivers and do not have a commitment with DISH. My aunt has this pack and there is no hd enabling fee any longer, so this shouldn't stop you if you want an hd receiver. You have to ask for the Welcome pack because DISH doesn't advertise it.

I thought only new customers could get the welcome pack?

Don't count on that. With Comcast buying NBC/Universal, I'd bet money that any SyFy or USA show currently on Hulu is going to dry up. Can't speak for Viacom properties or anyone else, but Comcast envisions Fox, NBC, and ABC broadcast content on Hulu, but FX, USA, and Disney content being moved off.

Comcast takes control of NBC, promises not to crush Hulu -- Engadget

TiVo HD is your only option for an OTA appliance; DTVPal DVR is dead. The good news is that the TiVo does Netflix, as do most Blu-ray devices (like the $180 Samsung BD-P1600). Any of those devices pays for itself in less than a year. You do need a minimum 6Mbps internet connection for SD, 10Mbps for Watch Instantly in HD. God forbid you're in a Comcast neighborhood where they implement throttling policies, or your 6Mbps connection turns into 3Mb every night at 6PM.

Good point on Comcast. Well, there is always bittorrent. :)

As for the Tivo HD, too pricey. I won't do it. But if I could just keep my 622...

Maybe just to reiterate, here is what I would like to do:

-Keep my leased 622
-Get my locals in HD and little else

How can I make it happen?

The Welcome pack, with Comedy Central and Food would be nice, even if SD, but not required.

Did this. I love the 722 but @$70/month for watching mostly locals and no premiums something had to give. I made a coat hanger antenna and mounted it in the attic. It outperforms any of the expensive store bought antennas I have worked with.

I HAD to get a TivoHD for the family. Plain and simple. It is easy to use and just works. Netflix HD looks awesome and plays just fine on the standard RR package.

In the other rooms I setup some old computers I had laying around as MediaCenters. They work well, but still crash every now and then. Hence the need for the Tivo. The hulu widget is the big plus on these. I can't wait for it to come to the tivo!

With this and FTA, there is more than enough tv for $22/month.

Maybe just to reiterate, here is what I would like to do:

-Keep my leased 622
-Get my locals in HD and little else

How can I make it happen?

The Welcome pack, with Comedy Central and Food would be nice, even if SD, but not required.

Welcome Pack w/ locals is $15/month. They offered it to me when I canceled. It sounded tempting, but there would still be the dreaded DVR fee and HD fee (at the time). Would have still been $30/month.

They did away with the HD enabling fee, but you are still going to have the lease fee. Who knows what it will end up being with the coming price increases.

Well, I decided to wing it in an online chat. Looks like we are working!
About $5 more than I was thinking. But still a monthly savings. So long as there are not big changes in Feb.

Chat transcript

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.
Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: I will be more than happy to assist you with your programming concern.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Please give me two minutes while I pull up your account and assist you further.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: May I please verify your Dish Network account number?
HDRoberts: ############2868
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Thank you for that information.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: May I have your zip code please?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: 441##
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Thank you for that information.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: What programming changes would you like to make today?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: I was looking to simplify. There is a package I have read about, but I know is unadvertised. The Welcome Pack for 9.99. I believe locals can be added for $5.99. Plus, obviously I would need a DVR fee.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: I can help you with that, but please be advise that the Welcome package doesn't include High Definition channels.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: That is fine. However, I believe I still would have access to HD locals. Just not the HD channels in the welcome pack.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Yes, that is correct. You can still get your local channels is High Definition.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Please give me two minutes to process your request.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: For future convenience, you can also make programming changes through the automated system, Dish Home channel 100, online at Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.888.825.2557 or by calling Dish Network’s customer service hotline at 1-800-894-9131.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Well, you can't add the welcome pack online. But thanks for the suggestion.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: You're welcome.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Normally, there is a $5 transaction fee for downgrading your package but since you're a valued customer, I’m willing to waive that fee for you.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Why thank you.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Please give me a couple of minutes to process your request.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: I'm almost done.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Take your time.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Thank you.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: Your new monthly rate is $25.97 before taxes, which has decreased by $14.02 because of the programming change. This will be on your next billing statement covering the period from 02/02 to 03/01, which will be sent on 01/17. There is also a one-time prorated credit that applies to that programming between today and 02/01. Again, you'll receive your statement on 01/17 and the payment will be due on 02/06. The change you made will take effect in 10-15 minutes.
(03mk) Joyce M. T8D: I’m glad I was able to assist you with your programming request.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDRoberts[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Thank you!
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

I'll miss Syfy, Food HD, and occasionally Travel, but that's about all.

I thought only new customers could get the welcome pack?

NO. I have had a third account for years for my aunt in Arkansas and I owned the receiver a 501 dvr. I was sent an email by DISH a few years ago telling me of the Welcome pack. I called the number and I was set up . This beats paying the 6.00 no basic programming pack + locals for 11.99. So for 3.00 more I gained 20 miscellaneous channels and I also got her the one cent Cinemax and added the 4.99 Encore pack . So for a total of 19.98 a month my aunt gets a good mix of SD variety, news, entertainment and movie channels.

Another thing about this package is to be sure to have the Public Interest channels added for an additional fee of zero. Also each month there is something in preview mode like with any other package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)