Locals over antenna - how to see program info?

I had the same problem and found that hdmi from 722 to tv then optical from tv to 5.1 receiver made the difference. With the optical going directly from 722 to receiver, the audio was being processed quicker. When I set it up for audio and video to go to the tv by hdmi then optical to receiver, it doesn't have any real sync issue now.
Ah. Problem is, I'm getting the audio sync problem just going from the 722 to my TV via HDMI. So far, going directly from the 722 to the TV or to a receiver, I get the sound before the action. Maybe 3000-4000 ms.

looks like a large # of you folks are interested in OTA standalone recording. But none of you has mentioned what a media center can do when it comes to ota recording. Here is what I have

- Dell pc with Vista premium
- ATSC Dual tuner
- Xbox 360 (as mce extender)

Setup may cost alot or almost nothing, Pc is main pc in house. I had to pay less than 100 bucks for atsc tuner. I already had xbox. so my cost was pretty low. MCE is the most advanced dvr. even better than vips. because you can customize all kind of plugins
YES, epg is free, so is bunch of other cool contents.

Total Dish newbie here, and nobody at Dish can answer my question:

Yesterday, I had my stuff installed (722 receiver/DVR) and I originally signed up for local HD channels. The tech set everything up, and plugged in my exterior antenna, and I had ALL the local HD channels over the air already! (In other words, the guide listed all my local channels twice - once on air, and one through the sat). When first turned on, the "programing info" was not available for those over-the-air channels. Just said "Digital Service" in every time slot. The tech did something (pressed a few buttons on the remite), and presto - the program info for the air locals downloaded, and they showed up in the guide.. So I could then set up recording by choosing a show.

FF to last night. I called to remove the local sat channels since I could get them for free. Now it seems the programing info is gone again (from the guide). I can watch the channels perfectly, but cannot choose shows to record. I don't know when the Olympics are on my NBC station, for example.

Does anybody know how to get that local channel info back into the guide?? OR am I required to also subscribe to the local channels through Dish to get that info (as I've been told by one CS guy - though none of them have sounded like they even know what I'm talking about)??

Thanks!
- Darell

You get the guide with locals if you keep Dish's. BTW, You can record up to 3 events at a time with the 722. Your antenna counts as one. That's why you saw the locals before in 2X. If you get D locals back you can record the same program 2 times by using the ant. local & D's local-same ch. Have fun with the 722.

Last edited:
Question about this because I get my locals through Dish (Charlottesville, VA) and am using an OTA antenna pointed at both Charlottesville and Richmond, VA (for the HD versions). There is no guide data for the OTA channels from either market. Check switch has been run multiple times over the course of several years when reading how I should have guide data.

When I briefly "moved" to Atlanta last year the guide data for my Charlottesville and Richmond OTA channels did show up. When I "moved" back, guide data was gone again.

I have DVR advantage, top 250, VIP622, etc....Any theories on why no guide data?

I live in an unserved area by Dish, so I can not purchase locals. Tonight, all of the network channels show guide info. Don't know if this is temporary or if dish has indeed changed their policy. I am cautiously optimistic about the guide data remaining. But just to be sure, I am keeping my timers as manual timers.

I was all excited about getting my 612ViP and being able to record off of three tuners. Two satellite and one over the air until I realized how bad the over the air reception was. Tried a Terk indoor antenna and the UFO Radio Shack antenna and it was not much better. Outdoor is out of the question and I should not need it because I live in the city. I would hook it up to my 612 and the first time I did a scan all I was able to pick of a waste religious WFME crap and a Spanish station WNJU with about 90 signal strength. After tweaking the antenna, moving it around the new york locals like WABC and WNBC I was lucky to pull in 60. I would get around 10 to 50 signal strength mostly and my PBS station which Dish Network does not have in HD I could barely pull in one bar. Now I just have my over the air tuner hooked up to my TV and pick up fair reception. The reception is much better than hooked up to the ViP. I live right in Brooklyn yet I can pick up those New Jersey wastes at full strength but stations right in Manhattan. I can see Manhattan right on my roof I can get a yellow break up signal and on a good day at the most four green bars.

So I will be subscribing to my locals on Dish for as long as I have Dish because I don't trust recording anything OTA. Just wish Dish would carry my two local PBS stations WNET and WLIW in HD because OTA I get dit on those stations.

Last edited:
"1. On the 722 is there any way to skip forward or backward x number of minutes? I can do 10 seconds back or 30 seconds forward, of course. My ReplayTV allowed me to key in "03 skip" and it would take me 3 minutes forward (or back). I see no way of doing that with these DVRs."

Sorry, not to my knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)