Locals with sub Channels (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robbiee19

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2005
172
0
Hilliard, OH
Was wondering when D* start's giving local HD channels will that include the sub-channels that I recieve over OTA. Like my local PBS give's me 3 total which is great for the kids because of the cartoons thay show. I have looked but not really seen any talk about that. Just wondering.

Thanks
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

jpn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2005
756
0
robbiee19 said:
Was wondering when D* start's giving local HD channels will that include the sub-channels that I recieve over OTA. Like my local PBS give's me 3 total which is great for the kids because of the cartoons thay show. I have looked but not really seen any talk about that. Just wondering.

Thanks


Isn't that considered 'multicast'?

That's an ongoing FCC debate. Cable & satellite do not want to be obligated to carry multicast channels; broadcasters want cable and sat to be forced to carry multicast.

Cable/sat fear that local channel broadcasters could multicast channels that have nothing but informercials. The benefit to the broadcaster can be large; to the viewer it's small; and cable/sat would be saddled with bandwidth that does not help them sell anything.

If given a choice, I think D* would pass on your PBS sub-channels.
 

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
robbiee19 said:
Was wondering when D* start's giving local HD channels will that include the sub-channels that I recieve over OTA. Like my local PBS give's me 3 total which is great for the kids because of the cartoons thay show. I have looked but not really seen any talk about that. Just wondering.

Thanks

I really doubt that, in Detroit they only have 4 HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX). I think there will be a lot less than we are seeing now with the SD signals. That is why I could care less about their HD locals, don't plan to use them, I don't even use the SD signals now. Liked it better when they didn't include it in the package and you bought them separately. I will use the OTA first generation pictures, instead of the D* HD locals. I look at the NBC subchannel "Weather Plus" quite often, I know they won't have that. Now I get around 30 HD and digital channels, many of them won't be on D*. I would rather see them work on getting more National HD signals on the birds, than worrying about locals.

But, I guess if you are in a situation where you can't receive any HD OTA signals, you might have a different opinion than I do.
 

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
jpn said:
Isn't that considered 'multicast'?
Cable/sat fear that local channel broadcasters could multicast channels that have nothing but informercials. The benefit to the broadcaster can be large; to the viewer it's small; and cable/sat would be saddled with bandwidth that does not help them sell anything.

You are correct on that. Several of them in this area carry infomercials all the time, on their sub channels. That would be a waste of bandwidth, if they had to carry them on satellite.
 

robbiee19

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2005
172
0
Hilliard, OH
In my area I don't get the infomercials at all. I too look at the NBC subchannel "Weather Plus" a lot. My question is still any info on if D* is going to give the sub-channels. But I am leaning on not getting the HD locals from D*. I get a very good signal on all my locals and the HD programs are fine. Any reports from te Detroit area on if they are getting the sub-channels?
 

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
robbiee19 said:
In my area I don't get the infomercials at all. I too look at the NBC subchannel "Weather Plus" a lot. My question is still any info on if D* is going to give the sub-channels. But I am leaning on not getting the HD locals from D*. I get a very good signal on all my locals and the HD programs are fine. Any reports from te Detroit area on if they are getting the sub-channels?

Detroit has only have 4 HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX).
 

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
What is funny is that when I saw the demo of the HD locals in Tampa DirecTV had channels for two NBC subchannels, one for ABC, one for CBS, three for PBS and they even had PAX digital and three other PAX subchannels. Keep in mind that PAX is called something else now but I have no idea what its called anymore. Now I've asked if the subchannels will be carried or not and all they said to me was that they haven't decided yet. But DirecTV did have them uplinked and being sent out over the satellite and had a seperate channel for each of them.
 

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
957
0
Central Maine
LonghornXP said:
What is funny is that when I saw the demo of the HD locals in Tampa DirecTV had channels for two NBC subchannels, one for ABC, one for CBS, three for PBS and they even had PAX digital and three other PAX subchannels. Keep in mind that PAX is called something else now but I have no idea what its called anymore. Now I've asked if the subchannels will be carried or not and all they said to me was that they haven't decided yet. But DirecTV did have them uplinked and being sent out over the satellite and had a seperate channel for each of them.

You could be right, but I wouldn't think they would put them all up there, unless they are forced to. Here in our viewing area I get around 30 OTA HD & Digital channels, including the subchannels. Many of them are digital but not HD. Some play infomercials over and over, all day long.

I see they only put up the big 4 networks, in Detroit.

This is from their original press release, "Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal. HD local programming will be received via a single dish -- slightly larger than the current standard dish -- and customers will require new HD set top boxes due to new compression technology".

I thought they were referring to the big 4 Networks, like they have in their east & west coast HD channels now.
 

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
lou_do said:
You could be right, but I wouldn't think they would put them all up there, unless they are forced to. Here in our viewing area I get around 30 OTA HD & Digital channels, including the subchannels. Many of them are digital but not HD. Some play infomercials over and over, all day long.

I see they only put up the big 4 networks, in Detroit.

This is from their original press release, "Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal. HD local programming will be received via a single dish -- slightly larger than the current standard dish -- and customers will require new HD set top boxes due to new compression technology".

I thought they were referring to the big 4 Networks, like they have in their east & west coast HD channels now.

They said the big four at first to cover themselves in case SW2 didn't get up (as in it didn't work or it blewup for example) but now that both satellites seem to be working fine enough they can now go full force ahead and offer all the HD feeds that your local market offers. So from what I've been told in the Tampa market customers will get PBS HD, NBC HD, CBS HD, Fox HD, ABC HD, UPN HD and WB HD. They might also carry the subchannels but they have to cover themselves by saying that they will only carry the primary HD feeds from all the networks in the market. If a local station doesn't have a primary HD feed they won't carry that local station.
 

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
30,566
14,164
Cheshire CT
LonghornXP said:
They said the big four at first to cover themselves in case SW2 didn't get up (as in it didn't work or it blewup for example) but now that both satellites seem to be working fine enough they can now go full force ahead and offer all the HD feeds that your local market offers. So from what I've been told in the Tampa market customers will get PBS HD, NBC HD, CBS HD, Fox HD, ABC HD, UPN HD and WB HD. They might also carry the subchannels but they have to cover themselves by saying that they will only carry the primary HD feeds from all the networks in the market. If a local station doesn't have a primary HD feed they won't carry that local station.

Longhorn

Any word if (and when!) the sv channels are started if they will include hd?

Chip
 

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
raoul5788 said:
Longhorn

Any word if (and when!) the sv channels are started if they will include hd?

Chip

They will indeed include the HD versions if they are available in HD via the spaceway sats. When is another question because customers will need the new five LNB dish which means that most of their customers will need an upgrade from the single LNB dish to the triple LNB dish. Because those customers will at some point also need the new five LNB dish they just felt it better to hold off the rollout for another month and install the five LNB dish so they don't have to make two costly free upgrades.
 

robbiee19

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2005
172
0
Hilliard, OH
Well if they don't give me the sub-channels I may stay OTA. I like the Waether Plus on NBC. And Like I said the PBS subs which are great for the kids. UPN is a good channel in my area too. (Columbus Oh) With subs my CBS had 4 subs up for the NCAA March Madness games last year and they plan on doing the same this year. MARCH MADDNESS!!!!
 

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 12, 2004
125
0
robbiee19 said:
Well if they don't give me the sub-channels I may stay OTA. I like the Waether Plus on NBC. And Like I said the PBS subs which are great for the kids. UPN is a good channel in my area too. (Columbus Oh) With subs my CBS had 4 subs up for the NCAA March Madness games last year and they plan on doing the same this year. MARCH MADDNESS!!!!

But surely the quality with 4 subs (or even 3 subs) has to just suck. I'll take quality or quanity any day. In my opionion, with the exception of the PBS SD subchannel, all the subchannels I've ever seen are a waste and a drag on HD. Do we really need a 24 hour local weather channel to tell us what the temp is, or if it's going to rain. There are so many other places to get this info. DOWN WITH SUB CHANNELS!! :mad:
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

nhlfan79

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 1, 2004
36
0
Atlanta, GA
There's no reason *not* to switch to D*. Even the MPEG4 receivers will have OTA capabilities, so you won't be missing anything by upgrading.
 

robbiee19

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2005
172
0
Hilliard, OH
Sorry Richnau I like the subs. With March Maddness I was able to see mulitable games and the quality was there too. Also some people need or like the Weather Plus. Just my opion too.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top