Locast News (Additions, changes, etc)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Reactions: FTA4PA
People need to go after the broadcasters and the fcc.
The original contract with the networks was in order to get the spectrum to use for free they had to let all the people in their service area receive their television signal for free.
The spectrum is not owned by the government,it is owned by the people.
The fcc was just in charge of doing with it what was best for the people. If the fcc isn't forceing the rule that was set with the networks for the people they are not doing their job.
All people and their family and friends should force the fcc to do what was promised when the rule was made.
That the broadcasters have to let all the people in their service area see the signal no matter how they have to see it or the broadcasters have to turn their free spectrum back over to the people that own it. Which is the people of the USA. Unless they agree to let all the people in their area see the signal.No matter which way they have to see it. Then sell the signal to others like telcos that have to offer all the tv stations in an area stream on that spectrum free. And can use whatever signal is left for what the want. The problem is the people are letting the 4 big broadcasters,ABC,CBS,NBC and FO:mad:formally Dupont) change and write the rule now the way they want it.
Lots of locals would like to stream their signal so everybody in their area get to see the signal. But cause get their programming from the big four. If the people force the fcc to take the spectrum back if the big four don't live up to the contract they signed things might just change and services like locast could live. Heres an idea with the new fcc now that there soon will be 5 is everybody get their petitions ready and have all their family and friends sign them and force the fcc to fight against the big four broadcaster. And do what they did with net neutrality. Force the broadcasters to live up to what they signed.

Reactions: Jim S. and dishdude
Funny distintion here,
Or not.

If you cannot, with an antenea, receive a station, without regard to why (trees, mountains, buildings, etc), then you are not in their service area.
If you can pay for someone else to extend reception beyond the receivable broadcast then that is not in their service area.

If you can't get it with an antenea then the fcc 'free broadcast license' should be mute.

Something people should also know about the broadcast signal. There is not really a certain area. The area the fcc etc. use is not the area of broadcast. The area they are designatiing was made up by the neilson company for ratings of a station so they can decide what to charge for their advertisements/commercials. So really there are is not designated area for a station.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
People need to go after the broadcasters and the fcc.
The original contract with the networks was in order to get the spectrum to use for free they had to let all the people in their service area receive their television signal for free.
The spectrum is not owned by the government,it is owned by the people.
The fcc was just in charge of doing with it what was best for the people. If the fcc isn't forceing the rule that was set with the networks for the people they are not doing their job.
All people and their family and friends should force the fcc to do what was promised when the rule was made.
That the broadcasters have to let all the people in their service area see the signal no matter how they have to see it or the broadcasters have to turn their free spectrum back over to the people that own it. Which is the people of the USA. Unless they agree to let all the people in their area see the signal.No matter which way they have to see it. Then sell the signal to others like telcos that have to offer all the tv stations in an area stream on that spectrum free. And can use whatever signal is left for what the want. The problem is the people are letting the 4 big broadcasters,ABC,CBS,NBC and FO:mad:formally Dupont) change and write the rule now the way they want it.
Lots of locals would like to stream their signal so everybody in their area get to see the signal. But cause get their programming from the big four. If the people force the fcc to take the spectrum back if the big four don't live up to the contract they signed things might just change and services like locast could live. Heres an idea with the new fcc now that there soon will be 5 is everybody get their petitions ready and have all their family and friends sign them and force the fcc to fight against the big four broadcaster. And do what they did with net neutrality. Force the broadcasters to live up to what they signed.
As much as I agree. I doubt it will ever happen. The Networks as well as everyone has the right to protect their product. There is a lot of money behind it too. Not with the laws in place. Companies like Locast, as much as I supported them, are out of luck if the networks go after them. Anyway, the Networks have deep pockets. Just look at the constant disputes. My thinking is, the only way to get the Networks on their knees, is to all cable & satellite to join forces and demand a fair deal, or at one time all will drop the networks from their roster. So the only way for the people to view their network programming would be OTA. But the chance of that happening is very slim. It may come to that in the future, but only one service as a time dropping the service. The consumer can control things if they want to. But it would take all of push, and I doubt the average person cares that much.

Reactions: djont57
If you elminate the satellite csrriage fees..a good number of the local stations will go dark...too much competition for ad dollars

Something people should also know about the broadcast signal. There is not really a certain area. The area the fcc etc. use is not the area of broadcast. The area they are designatiing was made up by the neilson company for ratings of a station so they can decide what to charge for their advertisements/commercials. So really there are is not designated area for a station.
Yes, the Neilsen DMA's were created for advertiser use and were adopted by the FCC as the standard for satellite providers to provide locals. The FCC can modify the DMA stations allowed though. The stations do provide reception range maps to the FCC for license applications, antenna modifications, and antenna moves, etc. Those maps have no direct correlation to the DMA maps of course.

If you elminate the satellite csrriage fees..a good number of the local stations will go dark...too much competition for ad dollars
That and the networks themselves now charge stations to carry their programming, rather than paying them like they used to.

For years there was no OTA stations via Dish/Cable getting carriage fees. It was up to the station to make a deal and get their signal to Dish. I doubt many would go dark. There is a good possibility if all of these expensive carriage fees were not part of the issue, Locast could have continued to operate. It is the money involved. Greed creates a lot of problems.

They should have at least blown that $32m on legal challenges and then bankrupt the company.
Absolutely. If it were me, I'd be making the very fundamental challenge that there shouldn't be laws against victimless crimes in a free country. Failing that, I'd be moving myself and my money to a country that doesn't extradite to the U.S, and continuing to agitate for change from there -- after making it abundantly clear that I'm not going to pull a McAfee.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts