Locast update

Subscriber chooses not to buy locals from satellite or cable company...station loses revenue...assuming customer cannot receive locals with OTA antenna..that simple
But the station isn't the copyright holder of the sports broadcast which was your argument. Further, the number of stations that are owned by sports leagues or teams that also offer OTA broadcasts of said leagues/teams is very small. I am not saying a judge won't find in favor of the copyrights holders -- certainly the courts have favored big media for decades, but I don't think they should based on how the money flows, or, in the case of Locast, it doesn't flow, since they are not for-profit.

Reactions: dishdude
But the station isn't the copyright holder of the sports broadcast which was your argument. Further, the number of stations that are owned by sports leagues or teams that also offer OTA broadcasts of said leagues/teams is very small. I am not saying a judge won't find in favor of the copyrights holders -- certainly the courts have favored big media for decades, but I don't think they should based on how the money flows, or, in the case of Locast, it doesn't flow, since they are not for-profit.
You see its not the stations suing...its the networks..who own the copyrights..loss of income is loss of income

You see its not the stations suing...its the networks..who own the copyrights..loss of income is loss of income
I see, and I already explained that is not how they get paid and they don't automatically own the copyrights to the content they distribute. Networks get paid on viewership, not on subscriptions.

I see, and I already explained that is not how they get paid and they don't automatically own the copyrights to the content they distribute. Networks get paid on viewership, not on subscriptions.
Networks own the studios or vice versa...as in fox, universal,viacom and disney
Not sure what viewership gas to do with$12 dish locals..but it all ends up eventually at the network level after lical stations pay for the programming

There are a couple other services like Locast out there, but they avoid the main networks and concentrate on diginets and smaller FTA and free streaming channels. They way, they stay out of hot water.

Networks own the studios or vice versa...as in fox, universal,viacom and disney
Not sure what viewership gas to do with$12 dish locals..but it all ends up eventually at the network level after lical stations pay for the programming
The local retrans fees go to the stations. The stations have a fee they pay to the networks based on the size of their market. If they want to be able to afford to pay the fee, they have to sell enough advertising and get enough subscriber revenue to make the payments. The ad revenue is based on ratings, but it is quite lucrative in general compared to national ad campaigns. It is the stations missing out on the subscriber revenue, and, if they cannot afford to pay the networks then they lose the franchise. Obviously this is not what would happen with O&O stations -- they would just get new management, but most stations are not O&O by the networks.

In the case of the O&O stations, they are a separate legal entity that is wholly or partially owned by the networks and operated as a separate business. They pay the fees just like an affiliate station according to a friend I have that works at WTVD, a Disney-owned ABC station in my market. There is no direct correlation between how much the stations pay the networks and how much subscriber revenue they get.

It is the affiliate fees, along with national advertising that generates the revenue that the networks use to buy the programming they distribute to their affiliates. In many cases, you have content from studios that don't have TV networks, like Sony for instance, that is what is being delivered to the stations getting the subscriber fees. If I was a Locast lawyer, that is one thing I would argue if the networks are claiming loss of revenue. Essentially, prove it, because the subscriber revenue doesn't go directly to the networks in most cases.

The local retrans fees go to the stations. The stations have a fee they pay to the networks based on the size of their market. If they want to be able to afford to pay the fee, they have to sell enough advertising and get enough subscriber revenue to make the payments. The ad revenue is based on ratings, but it is quite lucrative in general compared to national ad campaigns. It is the stations missing out on the subscriber revenue, and, if they cannot afford to pay the networks then they lose the franchise. Obviously this is not what would happen with O&O stations -- they would just get new management, but most stations are not O&O by the networks.

In the case of the O&O stations, they are a separate legal entity that is wholly or partially owned by the networks and operated as a separate business. They pay the fees just like an affiliate station according to a friend I have that works at WTVD, a Disney-owned ABC station in my market. There is no direct correlation between how much the stations pay the networks and how much subscriber revenue they get.

It is the affiliate fees, along with national advertising that generates the revenue that the networks use to buy the programming they distribute to their affiliates. In many cases, you have content from studios that don't have TV networks, like Sony for instance, that is what is being delivered to the stations getting the subscriber fees. If I was a Locast lawyer, that is one thing I would argue if the networks are claiming loss of revenue. Essentially, prove it, because the subscriber revenue doesn't go directly to the networks in most cases.
Again why I am paying dish $12 a month that supposed to be free? Or just a nominal fee to cover uplink costs...because local station switched fro. A majority free ota to a subcription cable/ satellite delivery system...locast bypasses that system...its all up to judge

Again why I am paying dish $12 a month that supposed to be free? Or just a nominal fee to cover uplink costs...because local station switched fro. A majority free ota to a subcription cable/ satellite delivery system...locast bypasses that system...its all up to judge
You are paying Dish (are you really paying Dish? Seems unlike you.) $12 per month for locals because, in simplified terms, the law says that companies that profit from the retransmission of those OTA signals must pay for the privilege of doing so if the station requires it. It does not say non-profits must pay. As you say, it is up to the judge, and there may be some aspect of this that none of us is considering which makes Locast illegal.

You are paying Dish (are you really paying Dish? Seems unlike you.) $12 per month for locals because, in simplified terms, the law says that companies that profit from the retransmission of those OTA signals must pay for the privilege of doing so if the station requires it. It does not say non-profits must pay. As you say, it is up to the judge, and there may be some aspect of this that none of us is considering which makes Locast illegal.
There you nailed it...retransmission..it does not say non profits don't pay...hence the court case

Kodi never charged either but the police have been known to smash down doors and seize their servers

Interesting that there are the re transmission fees but many stations have a network of free OTA translators, like from Portland stations. It seems like the networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) are the main issues. In many cases I have talked to CEs at TV stations that they are flattered that someone from across the country would enjoy watching their TV station. Why else are hundreds of TV stations nationwide have an app to watch their news? But it must be the copyrights regarding the programs..

There you nailed it...retransmission..it does not say non profits don't pay...hence the court case

Kodi never charged either but the police have been known to smash down doors and seize their servers
I see what you are arguing, and the courts could certainly end up looking at it given all the yahoos that have been appointed, but I don't interpret it that way. Also, it isn't the station owners who are suing for lost retransmission revenue, it is the networks suing for copyright infringement, so it is kind of a moot point for this particular lawsuit. And the law certainly does specifically state, nonprofits are allowed to provide secondary transmission of copyrighted material:

(5)
the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service.

Reactions: NYDutch
Interesting that there are the re transmission fees but many stations have a network of free OTA translators, like from Portland stations. It seems like the networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) are the main issues. In many cases I have talked to CEs at TV stations that they are flattered that someone from across the country would enjoy watching their TV station. Why else are hundreds of TV stations nationwide have an app to watch their news? But it must be the copyrights regarding the programs..
I remember reading on here years ago when Dish offered East and West coast locals that it has to do with advertising revenue. It doesn't help local advertisers if someone from across the country is watching commercials in a market where they don't even live.

Locast Nation,
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina. It’s our 33rd market.
Starting today, Locast users in Raleigh-Durham can now stream 40 local broadcast TV channels across 23 counties, including the cities of Fayetteville, Chapel Hill and the surrounding area.
Within the Triangle region of Raleigh-Durham, which includes North Carolina State University, Duke University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Shaw University, among others, Locast is an invaluable free tool for residents and students to stay informed about major storms and hurricanes, health updates, local news, weather, and sports on local broadcast TV. Raleigh-Durham residents can watch their local TV channels using Locast on their phones, tablets, laptops or streaming media devices.
Raleigh-Durham is also home to many military families who can qualify for our Locast Cares Program – a way for users who cannot donate financially to watch their local TV channels without receiving donation-request interruptions. The program is open to the first 25,000 applicants and is available for one year. Military personnel, first responders and low income households, among others, can qualify. Apply at www.locast.org/cares.
Find out more about Locast in Raleigh-Durham at www.locast.org or on our news page.
As a reminder, there are many ways to watch Locast – at www.locast.org, app stores, TiVo, streaming service providers Google Play, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon, and ROKU, and on DISH Hopper/Wally receivers or select DIRECTV receivers.
We continue to work hard to launch more markets, so stay tuned. Please help us spread the word and share this message with five friends and family members who live in one of our 33 Locast markets. We are a nonprofit and rely on user donations of just $5 per month to support the ongoing operations and expansion of our nonprofit service.
Thank you!

I had an interesting thing happen with Locast yesterday. When I tried to access the app I was getting a popup that told me that it was reported that I was not in a covered city and I got no access. So, I found contact information on their website. I sent them a message that explained who I was, where I was located, my DMA information, and my ip address. Within 5 minutes I was back up and I had an email explaining what happened and that they made some changes to my account and should be working again. It seems it was a geo location issue. I've seen this before on other apps. It all comes down to Xfinity, my internet provider, showing their home offices located in Sacramento as location instead of my actual location that is in the San Francisco DMA. I thought this was pretty good service!

I remember reading on here years ago when Dish offered East and West coast locals that it has to do with advertising revenue. It doesn't help local advertisers if someone from across the country is watching commercials in a market where they don't even live.

The same way with radio. If I listen to a station in LA from OR, it is unlikely I will buy from that business. I guess if the TV frequencies skipped like lower frequencies, there would not be that issue.

I had an interesting thing happen with Locast yesterday. When I tried to access the app I was getting a popup that told me that it was reported that I was not in a covered city and I got no access. So, I found contact information on their website. I sent them a message that explained who I was, where I was located, my DMA information, and my ip address. Within 5 minutes I was back up and I had an email explaining what happened and that they made some changes to my account and should be working again. It seems it was a geo location issue. I've seen this before on other apps. It all comes down to Xfinity, my internet provider, showing their home offices located in Sacramento as location instead of my actual location that is in the San Francisco DMA. I thought this was pretty good service!
I have never had that, but once since I had Locast (Portland OR), I clicked on it as one of our translators is out, and I got San Francisco locals! Apparently my local IP address did not read right on their end. It worked too. I watched the news from SF for a while. The next time I kicked on Locast it was on regular Portland.

They ask for donations. Well when they get Locast in the Mobile/Pensacola area I will donate.
I think for the most part, those of us that use the service and donate understand that we're not just funding the existing markets maintenance, but also funding future market expansion for others.

I think for the most part, those of us that use the service and donate understand that we're not just funding the existing markets maintenance, but also funding future market expansion for others.
Well then you keep on donating to them if you are and maybe they'll get down here on the Emerald Coast.