locating AMC 18

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Northern Ontario, Canada
I've been spending the last week aiming my newly acquired 6'mesh to whatever I can find...using lyngsat and other resources. No problems finding G16 and G17 but not having alot of luck with others. I move a bit further west from what I think is G16 heading for G23 and I keep finding a pretty hot signal, but I cannot determine what it is. I keep adjusting my skew according to the direction I'm going ( I do have the specs I should be using), perform the odd blind scan and nothing comes in at all. It looks like I'm aiming at about 200degrees according to my compass and I'm I'm wondering if its AMC18 I'm on.
So one of my questions is, would I be able to pick up anything on my Sonicview FTA ird from AMC18 to prove I am on that bird? I am toying with the idea of purchasing a DSR-410 and subbing to some of the HITS stuff and need to be sure I can receive AMC18.
Line of site shouldn't be an issue as I have no problems seeing over to 119 with my smaller ku dish so I assume I can see anything in between. I also have not been able to prove I've been hitting G23 either, but I'm working on that one....

I'm using an older Star Trak dual pol LNBF and 6' Star Trak mesh dish. Picks up G17 just fine, good quality. Older Sonicview 1000 IRD.

haha, anyone on this forum in Thunder Bay?? Love to chat it up and ask some questions of someone around the area.

Hi Jaray and the group, you may well be on AMC-18, the last time I checked I could only find DVB-S2 on that satellite. My SD DVB receiver does not see anything at all on that satellite. I can get the NBC MUX with my AZbox. hope this helps, DC

Lots on AMC 18 in DC-2. DVB NBC in S2 only. Comcast has that bird all bought up.

yep, short of a signal meter that locks onto signals to help you align a dish, your best bet is use a DC2 receiver and peak up the satellite that way.

On a 6' dish, I doubt you are going to get the BFI S2 mux (it took a 9' and larger dish for me to get it). The S2 NBC might be doable - I forget if I was able to lock it before I changed out my 7.5' orbitron for the birdview.

skysurfer, what is BFI S2 mux? I know in Manitoba they get ANC18 for the W5 dsr-410 pkg with a 6' dish, so I'm going off of that. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the dsr-410 anyway, so hopefully it'll work.
I see my neighbor across my street has a nice looking BIG mesh in his backyard and I highly doubt its being used, maybe its time to walk over with a cold bottled gesture and meet 'n' greet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts