Locked Cable Box Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
True,

But most of those things are not kosher. Rarely are they grounded (no biggie) and they look like crap. IF CATV could keep their system up they could "own" apartments (MDUs). The internet service alone could do it. But still folks migrate from a great system that just doesn't work much of the time.

Just sayin',

Joe

Same in our area, especially since until five years ago the cable system in our area was an old-school A/B system with less then 30 channels.

Can the OP take a pic of the box in question?

I agree with alot of this Joe, but disagree whole heartedly about the "Apts are the place for Cable" comment.

I see D* and DISH dishes all over at most apt complexes everyday.

5617141373_086ce90e27_m.jpg

Side View

Last edited:
KimmiKat said:
Same in our area, especially since until five years ago the cable system in our area was an old-school A/B system with less then 30 channels.

Can the OP take a pic of the box in question?

KimmiKat, sounds like we may be in the same area or have same owners, about 10 years ago the local Cable Co did away withthe a/b system and went with the digital boxes.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

5617298349_03e995653c_m.jpg

hmm I was trying to make it bigger so u could see the inside better. but if u look in the middle at the very top u can see a star shape.

Here is Directv's stance on lock boxes. See link below.
Many installers are former cable guys & may have or have access to keys for these boxes. These boxes are typically cable co property. The internal wiring of the building going back to this locked box typically belongs to the building owner.
What is your zip or dma? I may be able to steer you in the right direction.

[Cached:18:19:48-18:19:48]*BLAST FACTS* Lock Box Guidanc | Field Announcements (INSTALLER | DIRECTV Technical Help Forums

Thanx stardust for that. I think I'm just going to let it go.

The Tool needed is called a Diversfied tool, they are made special for Cable Companies

hmm I was trying to make it bigger so u could see the inside better. but if u look in the middle at the very top u can see a star shape.[/QUOTE]

NOTE: Some apartment complexes when they are built use the cable company to wire the building which give the all the rights to the cable company only, the only way to install directv or Dishnetwork is to mount on a railing and use flat cables to come in through the windows of the apartment, That is how we do it in southern Texas, we are not allowed to touch the cabling in the apartments at all

So Directv will cooperate with the law guys if sombody breaks
a cable box.

Any change on finding subcontractors who flee with cash?...... or is that still being worked on at "corporate" ?

What should a tech do...eat a ding in productivity or just break the box open and deny any contact?

The trucks do look nice these days.

Joe

hmm I was trying to make it bigger so u could see the inside better. but if u look in the middle at the very top u can see a star shape.

how does that tool unlock the box? does it turn and the lock pops open?

NOTE: Some apartment complexes when they are built use the cable company to wire the building which give the all the rights to the cable company only, the only way to install directv or Dishnetwork is to mount on a railing and use flat cables to come in through the windows of the apartment, That is how we do it in southern Texas, we are not allowed to touch the cabling in the apartments at all[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to worry about opening these boxes. As long as your not giving people free cable, there is no issue.

The only issue you need to worry about is the cable company playing cat and mouse and disconnecting the satellite lines everytime they come out to service one of their customers.

Yeah that's the funny part about it. Most ppl break into a cable box to steal cable, me on the other hand is trying to get it!

From my understanding landlords have to allow dishes as long as the are in your area of exclusive use such as a balcony, patio, etc. and do not modify the structure. The landlord can't forbid running flat cables in through a window or the space where an air-conditioner provides an opening as long as the dish can be attached in the manner detailed above. See FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

As for the cable box the company owns the box and wires up until the point where it enters the building but the internal wiring is the owner's. They will make this clear if you have have a problem with wiring that requires service . Unless you pay for a service plan that covers internal wiring you are completely responsible for the cost of repair.

The same is typically true if the box is within a utility room within the apartment building. The owner agrees to let them install the box there (same with other utility companies) and have access to the room as needed but the company maintains ownership of their equipment. It is like when you have an electric or gas meter located inside. They may be inside your residence but you do not own them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts