Logitech Harmony One-Horrible Purchase

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
My wife and I travel frequently and our house sitters had problems dealing with all the remotes. So I purchased a Logitech Harmony One so they could use my entertainment system with one remote. My system includes the following:
Sony TV, Directv HR24, Scientific American cable box and an Onkyo a/v receiver. None of my activities includes more than three devices. From the outset none of the functions worked properly. After 16 contacts with the Logitech techs I gave up. I use the Harmony One remote only because if you press the help button enough times it will finally turn on the proper devices. Why this device cannot remember to turn on three devices consistently is beyond me.

The Logitech Harmony One is expensive. Buy one at your own risk.

Dennis

Sorry it didn't work for you. I have found with this remote that when turning on and off, you need to keep the remote pointed toward the equipment for a very long time. In my home theater setup downstairs, it requires pointing for up to 5 seconds.

The Harmony One works well for me, controlling a Panasonic Plasma, A TIVO, An Onkyo receiver, a BluRay Player and an HD-DVD player.
The basement system controls the same equipment except the TIVO is replaced by SA cable box and the plasma is replaced with an Epson projector.

It works flawlessly, except when I get impatient and put it down too soon.

I have never had problems with Harmony remotes. Best of the best, IMO.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I have found with this remote that when turning on and off, you need to keep the remote pointed toward the equipment for a very long time. In my home theater setup downstairs, it requires pointing for up to 5 seconds.

The Harmony One works well for me, controlling a Panasonic Plasma, A TIVO, An Onkyo receiver, a BluRay Player and an HD-DVD player.
The basement system controls the same equipment except the TIVO is replaced by SA cable box and the plasma is replaced with an Epson projector.

It works flawlessly, except when I get impatient and put it down too soon.
i believe you can adjust these delays on these remotes. i can with the 880. i don't know that there is a more customizable remote out there than the harmony ones. true that they don't make them like they used to but still one of the best......

Dennis Brown said:
Why this device cannot remember to turn on three devices consistently is beyond me.
It must be one of three possibilities:
1. You haven't configured your components and activities correctly, or
2. You don't have the line of sight: some of the IR commands don't reach their corresponding components, or
3. You use some other remotes!
With Harmony it's an all or nothing proposition: you can't use any other remotes interchangeably. Your remote remembers the last state of each component, but it wouldn't know if the state was changed by another remote.
Also, as already mentioned, do not put the remote away until it is done sending all the commands (until the light goes off). This may take a long time, depending on the components. For most TV sets, after turning the TV set on, the remote will wait 5-10 seconds or more before sending the command to switch the input source. If you put the remote away before it's done sending the last command, the last command may not succeed and the remote can get out of sync with the actual state of your component. This becomes even a bigger problem for components that don't have discrete commands: the remote must know the current state of your component precisely in order to be able to switch it to another state.

As for Harmony technical support, I haven't used it in the past 2-3 years, but in the past it used to be the best in the industry!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My wife and I travel frequently and our house sitters had problems dealing with all the remotes. So I purchased a Logitech Harmony One so they could use my entertainment system with one remote. My system includes the following:
Sony TV, Directv HR24, Scientific American cable box and an Onkyo a/v receiver. None of my activities includes more than three devices. From the outset none of the functions worked properly. After 16 contacts with the Logitech techs I gave up. I use the Harmony One remote only because if you press the help button enough times it will finally turn on the proper devices. Why this device cannot remember to turn on three devices consistently is beyond me.

The Logitech Harmony One is expensive. Buy one at your own risk.

Dennis

I whole heartedly disagree. The Harmony One is an excellent remote. It might take awhile to get it to your specs, but if you can't do it(especially with tech support), it's because of user error.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)