LOL, some hacker tried to IM me today..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rkrenicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Its been a long while since I have been here.. how has everyone been?

Today, I was greeted to a new trick.. I had someone use AOL Instant Messenger to ask me how to steal dish network.

He went by the name of "AkaJJ21" and is apparently an AOL user (I have his IP logged)

Code:
[19:44] AkaJJ21: Hi. Are you there?
[19:44] *** Auto-response sent to AkaJJ21: Ah, I thought I smelled cheese nearby..
[19:45] Ultatryon2001: I am
[19:45] AkaJJ21: I was wondering if you could help me out
[19:46] AkaJJ21: I got your name off Satelliteguys
[19:46] Ultatryon2001: ok
[19:46] AkaJJ21: I have a pansat3500sd
[19:46] AkaJJ21: it's updated to 8
[19:46] AkaJJ21: I have a Dishnet dish with a dishpro lnb
[19:46] Ultatryon2001: um
[19:46] Ultatryon2001: ok
[19:46] Ultatryon2001: what are you trying to get
[19:46] AkaJJ21: Do you have a good bin
[19:47] Ultatryon2001: You cant get much with that dish, you would need a 80cm dish or larger
[19:47] Ultatryon2001: with a linear LNB

[19:48] AkaJJ21: it's pointed at 110 119
[19:48] AkaJJ21: I have 95% signal strength
[19:48] Ultatryon2001: what exactly are you trying to recieve
[19:48] AkaJJ21: Dishnet 
[19:48] AkaJJ21: heh
[19:48] AkaJJ21: I scanned the sats all the Echo sats
[19:49] AkaJJ21: says theres' over 200 channels
[19:49] Ultatryon2001: ok, well, apparently you never read my posts about how I abhore hackers and theft of service in general,   congratulations, you are about to be reported to Dish Network.
[19:49] AkaJJ21: but they are all scrambled
[19:50] *** Ultatryon2001 wants to directly connect.
[19:51] *** AkaJJ21 is now directly connected.

Will wonders never cease. :)

What really cracks me up is when started looking at FTA stuff and other sites, I had to stumble through all the theft sites to find legit ones. Surprises me that these people can't find the crap themselves.

Yes, that is why I DCed, otherwise, I would not have had an IP to go by.

Funny thing is, he accepted it without question...... even after I told him that I was going to report him.

:D

And thank you Ice, for the Welcome.. its been a long time ;) Unfortunately, I moved again, and I havent setup my dishes, but yet again, I have one of those perfect little roofs just right for dish mounting right outside a window :) and I didnt even try this time!

What really cracks me up is when started looking at FTA stuff and other sites, I had to stumble through all the theft sites to find legit ones. Surprises me that these people can't find the crap themselves.
Yep... it sucks how many non-legit sites exist that you have to stumble through before finding this one. What makes it worse is that many of those non-legit sites promote illegal activities as ok, and legal when they are not... for a newbie that sort of message is dangerous.

It truly is sad how when I mention to people that I've got a free-to-air set that they assume that I'm getting free HBO movies etc. And when they find out that I don't get all of those channels, they all know "a guy" who has one with all channels and for only $200 I can get one too. No thanks. I really wish that the signal security issue would get resolved so that I can pick up some cheap equipment to use for true free-to-air signals.

it might be sooner than you think :)
It'd be nice if that was the case. The problem is that just like any other underground pirate rings (whether it's software related, game related, movie related, or anything else), the pirates and those trying to stop them are in a constant never-ending arms race to beat one another. I was reading Game Developer Magazine the other day and there was an article about game software piracy. It said that at the most, software companies can expect their games to not get cracked or hacked for only 2 weeks after releasing stateside, and that if they are released internationally, they can expect the crack or hack to come about in almost 24 hours or so in some underground pirate ring in the world. That's pretty astounding numbers to think about. If they are that keen on getting free games, I suspect that they are just as adament about getting around other forms of protection.

I think if law enforcement would get stricter and start taking ips of folks posting over there on those illegal forum sites, and busting them, even if they only busted a handful of folks, it may help enormously... unfortunately they can't do that quickly enough, for a variety of reasons... It's sad but true. Law enforcement is always 3 steps behind criminals. It'd be awesome if there was some way for them to get ahead in the arms race, but no one's come up with a way for that proactive type of crime busting to happen yet.

I am hoping that the recent activity does something for at least a little while and brings receiver prices down. I got my CS5k cheap as heck just a few months ago when illegal FTA was down for a while.

on the positive side, it seems like Iceberg et al have been a lot less busy than in the past, not so many people to ban. :D

it might be sooner than you think :)

I do hope so, because it is very much out of hand, Bell and Dish need to do something because it is not good for all the other programming providers to lose so much money because of the two providers with poor security.

I am hoping that the recent activity does something for at least a little while and brings receiver prices down. I got my CS5k cheap as heck just a few months ago when illegal FTA was down for a while.
yep. A few of us got a Neusat for cheap when they were down. Also when the illegal boxes go down, some people just sell it to collect their losses.
Also, illegal FTA is an oxymoron...if its FTA, its not illegal :)

pepper said:
on the positive side, it seems like Iceberg et al have been a lot less busy than in the past, not so many people to ban.
true. It has gone down a little bit recently. Hopefully the scum figure out that we don't tolerate it here

tdti1 said:
I do hope so, because it is very much out of hand, Bell and Dish need to do something because it is not good for all the other programming providers to lose so much money because of the two providers with poor security.
exactly. NFL should pull their NFL ST from Bell because of this. Dish got smart and put a bunch of locals on spotbeams so they couldn't watch all the NFL via locals from around the country

yep. A few of us got a Neusat for cheap when they were down. Also when the illegal boxes go down, some people just sell it to collect their losses.

I bought my Fortec receiver on Ebay while the hacks were "down" period a few months back. I had to reflash it back to clean factory firmware, and it has been "up" ever since on true Free-To-Air channels on Galaxy10, T5, AMC6, SBS6, etc..

It has to be tough for sponsors like Sadoun when the underground is artificially driving up their costs on the goods too.

exactly. NFL should pull their NFL ST from Bell because of this. Dish got smart and put a bunch of locals on spotbeams so they couldn't watch all the NFL via locals from around the country

Actually NFL on Bell is very secure at this point. I see them change their provider ID's to 09 04 and now 09 05 on their NFL channels every weekend on the uplink reports. I would assume this is working for them as no one has the keys for 09 04 since they keep doing it every weekend.

Actually NFL on Bell is very secure at this point. I see them change their provider ID's to 09 04 and now 09 05 on their NFL channels every weekend on the uplink reports. I would assume this is working for them as no one has the keys for 09 04 since they keep doing it every weekend.

Hmm wonder why they don't do that with all the channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)