Longer WI-FI Range

billyboy_1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Southeast Missouri
I go with my wife when she shops. Sometimes I get tired of walking in the store with her and go back out to the car. I always take my netbook just to surf the net. At our shopping center there is a coffee shop across the highway and I can't always connect. Is there any way of extending the range of my netbooks wireless range like maybe an external antenna? I saw a thing that looked like it might work. It is a Ubiquiti WiFiStation-EXT - 2.4GHz 1000mW Long Range USB WiFi Client with external antenna. Just wondering if that will extend my range?

That should definitely help extend your range. The larger the antenna the better the gain, particularly panels.

Sometimes I like the more practical approach. Why don't you just drive across the street to the wifi location and park there until she is done shopping? When that time comes, let her call you on the cell phone and you go back across the street to pick her up.

Well, that's the way I used to do it. Today, I have a 5spot device that I just turn on and have my own wifi hotspot. You can do the same with most smart phones using software too. No need to fiddle with long range antennas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts