Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

arces12

Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Texas
Occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option. If the reports about the price tag to cable providers to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming.

Please DirecTV, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Analysis
A&M has a foot out door
Unhappiness with UT network places school on course to SEC
Unhappy with UT network, A&M appears bound for SEC | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
COLLEGE STATION — The Longhorn Network isn't going away, and because of that neither is the likelihood that Texas A&M will end up in the Southeastern Conference, most likely in 2013 but perhaps even next year.
I've been shocked by all of the coverage that the Longhorn Network has gotten this past month. We've all known about it for a year. It made a Big 12 Network impossible which destroyed the long-term viability of the league. I can't comprehend why our brass is just now figuring this out.

This story doesn't mention Oklahoma, but they were part of the story last summer as well. The "plan" as reported then was that A&M and OU would join the SEC West, and that they would go after Florida St. and Miami to put in the East making the SEC a 16 team league. If they couldn't get one of those schools, then Virginia Tech was their next target.

The funny thing is that I can't see this network making it off of the ground. The UIL has been adamant that they will not allow Friday night high school games to be televised, and even if they did, it would still be an NCAA violation to feature games with potential recruits, which would be just about any game worth watching. On top of that, Longhorn fans are some of the most fair weather in the country. By the end of last season, less that one year removed from playing in the BCS title game, there were about 15k empty seats against Florida Atlantic. I had a friend of mine of facebook trying to give away his season tickets to that game because he didn't want to spend the money for gas for the 150 mile drive from Houston.

The Big 12 should have been a great conference, but we've been hampered by bad leadership from day one. RIP.

The Big 12 already put the kibash on them showing high school games and the NCAA is sure to follow up and make sure that it definitely doesn't happen. They won't be showing any conference games either, as the Big 12 office has to approve that as well as the opposing conference member. I don't see the network being as big as Texas and ESPN think.

Ahhh ...
Here is some content for them.
Warrant: Scott's arrest stemmed from dispute over repossessed car
Scott, whom Doyle said she recognized from a previous repossession of Scott's Cadillac last year, got out of the Mustang and began yelling profanities at her, according to the report. Doyle told police that Scott pulled her from the Cadillac and threw her to the ground.

Scott then fled in the Cadillac, according to the affidavit. He was arrested at a nearby gas station.
I guess in that line of work, it's usually a little easier to repossess a car each time as you become a little more familiar with it.
:D

Just saw it scrolling across the screen. NCAA just put a stop to any ideas of them or any other university or league network showing high school games.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Did anyone see the article in USA Today for this weekend about The Longhorn Network? It was on the front page and I havent read it yet. I really wonder how this network is going to succeed because outside of its known areas, the south-Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, etc. do you think people are going to care? I mean if you live in Chicago or Detroit or New York, are you going to care about The Longhorn Network if its available?

Did anyone see the article in USA Today for this weekend about The Longhorn Network? It was on the front page and I havent read it yet. I really wonder how this network is going to succeed because outside of its known areas, the south-Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, etc. do you think people are going to care? I mean if you live in Chicago or Detroit or New York, are you going to care about The Longhorn Network if its available?

I sure wont here in the Detroit area. I do love the Big Ten Network though. It's good during football season and great during basketball. Football basically only gets the cupcake games but I still watch them often. During basketball they carry practically every MSU and U of M game that isn't carried on one of the other networks.

This is awesome! The LHN is going down in history as the network that destroyed the Bovine 9 but never actually came to fruition!
smug.gif

No offense. I see the network as a failure too, but I haven't seen it do anything else but make A&M the laughing stock of college football.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The Longhorn Network is on the air, but fans might have trouble finding it | khou.com Houston

The network has been launched and the first exclusive game is this weekend.

From the article, "At launch, the LHN’s distributors included Consolidated Communications, Bay City Cablevision, Mid-Coast Cablevision and Texas Mid-Gulf Cablevision. By September 1, they’ll add Verizon, En-Touch Systems and E-Tex Communications to that list. At launch, the LHN’s coverage area included Ingram, Conroe, Manvel, Pearland, West Colombia, Sweeny, Van Vleck, Bay City, Markham, Blessing, Palacios, Edna, Ganado, Louise, El Campo and Wharton.
By September 1, they’ll add Houston, Gilmer, Dallas-Fort Worth and the Verizon national footprint."

No national cable or satellite systems. Verizon is the only national carrier.

I love the Big Ten Network during college football and basketball season but they even have trouble filling their schedule with entertaining stuff to watch 24/7. That is an entire conference. It just doesn't make sense for one school to have their own network that can only show 2 football games for the entire year.

I think Texas greatly overestimated their value when they decided to do this and I can't believe ESPN partnered with them to make it happen. That's not a cheap shot at Texas either. I don't think any school can pull off their own full time year round sports network.

Is this going to be some type of pay-per-view thing?

No. It was supposed to be a full time sports network dedicated to all things Texas. The problem is no one wants to carry the network because they don't have enough content and they want to much money for it.

I love the Big Ten Network during college football and basketball season but they even have trouble filling their schedule with entertaining stuff to watch 24/7. That is an entire conference. It just doesn't make sense for one school to have their own network that can only show 2 football games for the entire year.

I agree...it's difficult developing sports material for a 7x24x365 network, from scratch. They do a great job during the fall/winter sports season...and I love how they produce the team shows and provide around-the-league news coverage. What most people don't realize is that they have greatly expanded coverage of many other sports (e.g., wrestling, womens sports, gymnastics, etc.) however, I would love to see them continue to expand coverage of these sports. Additionally, they don't show nearly enough hockey! However, I suspect this will change quickly when the Big Ten Hockey Conference faces-off in their inaugural year in the 2013-2014 season. The biggest problem with the hockey conference (my opinion) is there are only six universities fielding a hockey team: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State who are busy forming a team. Personally, I think you may see Illinios, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska and Northwestern evaluate fielding a hockey team thanks to the Big Ten hockey conference and BTN. We shall see.

Regardless, I don't know how the Longhorn Network can survive...Big 12 Network (if they survive), sure...Texas Longhorns...no way! People living outside of Texas don't realize the entire state of Texas isn't enamored with Longhorn football...a lot of folks avidly follow the Aggies, Red Raiders, etc. Additionally, there are a large number of Sooners and Razorbacks fans living in North-Texas that cannot stand the Longhorns. IMO, the Big 12 is going to explode after this season. We shall see.

Lol! I hadn't read that part. No way this lasts.

Too funny! I didn't realize they were broadcasting only two games. Hey, here's to the upcoming LN television schedule:

8:00 pm - 11:00 pm: Texas vs. Rice
11:00 pm - 12:00am: Longhorn Round Up
12:00 am - 3:00 am: Texas vs. Rice
3:00 am - 4:00 am: Longhorn Round Up
4:00 am - 7:00 am: Texas vs. Rice
7:00 am - 8:00 am: Longhorn Round Up
8:00 am - 11:00 am: Texas vs. Rice
11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Longhorn Round Up
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm: Texas vs. Rice

Englessly loop ad nauseum...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts