Longitude, Latitude question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
I have noticed that different website show differerent co-ordinates for the same Zip Code of 70458 and for the same address location, and I am wondering why. Here are two instances of what I have came across.

1. Dishpointer show my address and Zip Code co-ordinates to be Longitude: 89.7576, Latitude: 30.2967
2. Geosatfinder Longitude: 89.773 Latitude: 30.275
3. Yet my G.P.S shows it as Longitude: 89.45 Latitude: 30.17

When I use the USALS function in the microHD for searching and scanning the satellites, which of these co-ordinantes is best to use for my address location?:eek:

dishpointer shows a pic of the backyard and I put the cross-hairs where the dish actually is for the readings.
They say for usals you end up having to tweak anyway.

Cordinates shown in "Degrees, Minutes and seconds" have different values than those expressed in decimal degrees. Make sure you compare the same values.

I have noticed that different website show differerent co-ordinates for the same Zip Code of 70458 and for the same address location, and I am wondering why. Here are two instances of what I have came across.

1. Dishpointer show my address and Zip Code co-ordinates to be Longitude: 89.7576, Latitude: 30.2967
2. Geosatfinder Longitude: 89.773 Latitude: 30.275
3. Yet my G.P.S shows it as Longitude: 89.45 Latitude: 30.17

When I use the USALS function in the microHD for searching and scanning the satellites, which of these co-ordinantes is best to use for my address location?:eek:

I would personally double-check your coordinates using GOOGLE EARTH. Compare GE's result to your other results and use the set that matches the closest.

Google Earth is generally quite accurate, but it will display in DEGREES, MINUTES, SECONDS and you will have to convert this to decimal degrees (i.e XX.yy).

Your GPS unit could vary depending upon the age and make/model of the GPS unit, older GPS units may not be quite as defined in their accuracy.

RADAR

Most GPS units can change the format so you should be able to set it up so it displays the most common type. I recommend the same as Radar above, it seems to to be the most common. Degrees and decimal Minutes are also common, used for geocaching etc (DD,MM.mmm) Also check which gological survey year, I think the latest is 1984 and is the standard. SHould be somewhere in the settings menu. Older GPS units without the differential receiver will still be 40ft or less in accuracy as long as it sees more than 4 satellites and you let it sit for a while to settle in. Anything within a few miles accuracy should do for aiming your dish...

I played with all three of the mentioned co-odinants and did not see too much of a difference while scanning the satellites via USALS, just curious about all the variou numbers that were presented for the same location..

Such small differences make no differences with USAL. However if you are trying to find your truck after a day of walking in thick forest terrain, it makes a difference.

I played with all three of the mentioned co-odinants and did not see too much of a difference while scanning the satellites via USALS, just curious about all the variou numbers that were presented for the same location..

Avenger,

When you are setting up a motorized dish to track the entire satellite arc, these coordinate entries are highly important.

HOWEVER... You must realize that a few minor discrepancies or differences in these coordinates are not going to BUST your alignment.
Tenths of DEGREES and SECONDS are not going to truly alter your dish and motor alignment substantially. Don't fret about your
coordinates to any extreme as that is not necessary. If you are able to, use the most accurate coordinates you can obtain you to make
your life more simple.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)