Looking at DirecTV

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
(ALSO Posted in the DirecTV Receivers forum)

I currently sub to Dish Network's AT120+ with 5 HDTVs supported by a 722K and 3 211's (all with EHDs), the 722k and one 211 are leased all 4 have EHD plus Starz net monthly bill is $89.99 plus tax. One HDTV is an old component input only 34" Philips 16X9 CRT type that my grandson uses, so HD there is not critical - it gets the TV2 out of the 722k.

If I upgrade to the Hopper/Joey, I'm probably looking at $100-150 up front for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys plus my monthly bill will go up $11, so that's a minus - but I do Get 6 tuners, all my EHD's from the 722k will still work with the hoppers and I can get 2 OTA tuners one on each Hopper.

Yesterday by chance I looked at a DirecTV setup for my situation and with the new HR34 Genie System and 4 of their C31 mini clients for only $49 up front and $76.98/month for the Entertainment package for the first year, then $91.98 per year the next 12 months. Bill goes down $13 first year, then up $2 the second year.

I lose is my RSN (no biggie) and also my EHD's for my 722k become useless but I gain BBC America HD, National Geographic HD and Velocity HD plus DirecTV has my Locals in HD and Dish does not.

There are 4 of us living in the house, so that is probably the maximum number of viewers at one time.

I would get $45/mo. in discounts the first year then $15/mo. the second year, then I could totally re-evaluate my situation.

I have been with Dish since 2003 and like their hardware and am not as piqued by occasional channel disputes as many are - bottom line is I am satisfied where I am.

What are the unpublished gotchas with the Genie system?

What usability will I sacrifice by jumping from 4 independent DVR receivers to the DirecTV whole house system?

How does the Genie system integrate OTA and how much does the module cost?

My research seems to indicate that we can only actually view 4 tuners at a time which we rarely if ever do, what are the other recording/viewing limits if having a Genie + 4 clients?

I have read on the DirecTV forums that performance is an issue with the HR34 (Genie) it sometimes taking 5-10 seconds to change channels especially if you do not reboot it often (reboot - sounds like Dish issues).

I would hate to switch to DirecTV and then hate the system and be stuck with it for 2 years, what do you recommend?

(ALSO Posted in the DirecTV Receivers forum)

I currently sub to Dish Network's AT120+ with 5 HDTVs supported by a 722K and 3 211's (all with EHDs), the 722k and one 211 are leased all 4 have EHD plus Starz net monthly bill is $89.99 plus tax. One HDTV is an old component input only 34" Philips 16X9 CRT type that my grandson uses, so HD there is not critical - it gets the TV2 out of the 722k.

If I upgrade to the Hopper/Joey, I'm probably looking at $100-150 up front for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys plus my monthly bill will go up $11, so that's a minus - but I do Get 6 tuners, all my EHD's from the 722k will still work with the hoppers and I can get 2 OTA tuners one on each Hopper.

Yesterday by chance I looked at a DirecTV setup for my situation and with the new HR34 Genie System and 4 of their C31 mini clients
There are 4 of us living in the house, so that is probably the maximum number of viewers at one time.

What are the unpublished gotchas with the Genie system?

What usability will I sacrifice by jumping from 4 independent DVR receivers to the DirecTV whole house system?

My research seems to indicate that we can only actually view 4 tuners at a time which we rarely if ever do, what are the other recording/viewing limits if having a Genie + 4 clients?

I have read on the DirecTV forums that performance is an issue with the HR34 (Genie) it sometimes taking 5-10 seconds to change channels especially if you do not reboot it often (reboot - sounds like Dish issues).
?

OK first, the HR 34, had some bugs . Most have been worked out, Out of the 2 HR's in my house the HR34 never gets rebooted, and is a way better machine then my HR23.

Next yes, the Hr 34 can only have a max of 3 C31. The HR 34 can only stream 3 remote live feeds at any one time. 4 total.

Now if all of you want to watch live TV at the same time only 1 room can record without interruption of your 4 rooms of live tv. Its really simple 4 rooms using 5 tuners. You do the math.
They are fully functional DVRs though.

OTA, was a a $50 charge for the AM21 box. this does not add Tuners, so you still can only record a MAX of 5 things at once on the HR 34.

Now, I'm not a fan of the C31's, mainly cause they don't have tuners, they use the HR34s.

Honestly. I would rather have HR34 and 3 H25s. Yes not True DVR's with live tv but they still record, and playback,Pause, FF/RR from any room in the house . And live tv interruption is never an issue like a 2 hopper 2 joey system, and a HR34 3 C31 Genie system if you have 4 rooms in constant use.

I had DirecTV for a couple of years recently (until May 2012). It was fine, but the software was not as stable as Dish's when I had it from 2007-2010. The annoying thing with D* is I lost my discounts fairly rapidly. I dropped SHO and Cinemax after the initial free period, yet I somehow lost my $20/month Choice programming discount in the process and could never get it back no matter who I talked to. After that, it seems like the prices went up every time I made a change. It reminded me of the horrible experience I had when leaving D* in 2006, and they tried to make me pay an ETF despite my contract saying I could return my purchased equipment and avoid the ETF. That took about a dozen calls and a few hours of my life to straighten out. It was easier leaving the second time, but I wouldn't relish dealing with them again. Dish in comparison was always easy to deal with for me.

-Ted

I can get 3 clients free with the 4th for $49, receivers are $199 each. I might go with 3 clients and one extra receiver just to add another tuner - what receiver would you recommend?

Would that receiver's data be integrated with the Genie data on the menus?

I just switched from DirecTV to Dish to save money, if you switching to DirecTV save you money then I would do it.

The equipment while different is comparable and both better than what you get from the cable company. Yes from what I hear he HR34 has some bugs but then so does the Hopper.

Losing H2 in HD and not being able to keep my EHD recordings (or make new ones that I could keep for as long as I want) would be a big deal for me. I would also miss the music on DISH.

Unless you jump services a lot, a year or two of savings often isn't worth the learning curve unless the deal is VERY sweet and you're getting something you can't otherwise get (like MLB Extra Innings or NFL Season Ticket).

I'd do up a chart of the channels that everybody watches and see how each really stacks up.

Driving a component TV with a C31 or H25 can be problematic and there aren't any RF modulators in the DIRECTV receivers/DVRs.

I wouldn't base you decision too much on equipment. They all have their ups and downs regardless of the company.

For me I would look strictly at which service has the channels you want for the cheapest price. Right now it would appear that directv would be the choice. Also the fact that they have your locals in hd would be a huge plus!

Good luck in your choice. They are both good companies and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

I can get 3 clients free with the 4th for $49, receivers are $199 each. I might go with 3 clients and one extra receiver just to add another tuner - what receiver would you recommend?

Would that receiver's data be integrated with the Genie data on the menus?
HR24 if you get HD DVR. I would demand it!!!!
H25 if you get a NON DVR. (Very compact size)

Only the Client boxes can see what ever the HR34 has in its entire Menu.
The other H boxes can only View the HR34s recordings, and set recordings to it. Except the HR's they can only set recordings to themselves, but are still available to watch from the entire system.

I have a question?
If I switch to DirecTV can I they the same cabling used by Dish?
Dish just came a few months ago and mount a pole for the dish, so that can also be use by DTV as well?
I don't want them do a lot of stuff, less is better.

I have a question?
If I switch to DirecTV can I they the same cabling used by Dish?
Dish just came a few months ago and mount a pole for the dish, so that can also be use by DTV as well?
I don't want them do a lot of stuff, less is better.
They can sure, But most don't. Last I knew if a field supervisor decided to check on an install and they saw anything other then Directv wire outside, they would get back charged.

I've been thinking about get the HR34 myself. But wouldn't need anything else and for the 1st year I could have the least expensive package I think and get all the channels I care that much about. I will know more when I look some more.

Found a great offer at Costco. All the online discounts plus a $200 Costco gift card. cw.directv.com

I've been thinking about get the HR34 myself. But wouldn't need anything else and for the 1st year I could have the least expensive package I think and get all the channels I care that much about. I will know more when I look some more.

Guessing D*'s new customer promotions pretty well made Hopper upgrade a non-option? We'll miss ya bud :) .

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Guessing D*'s new customer promotions pretty well made Hopper upgrade a non-option? We'll miss ya bud :) .

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys
Who said I was leaving. I just considering D*. And I don't really want a Hopper. I would have to pay for an upgrade for one of those and w/ locals here in SD on E* and HD on D* it is what is making on consider it. This is why I don't really "live" here. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts