LOOKING BACK AT NBC SPORTS NETWORK'S LACK OF GROWTH

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013...ering-nbc-sports-network-s-growth-part-i.html

One of the most polarizing questions for sports media onlookers revolves around NBC, and specifically NBC Sports Network's future outlook. The million dollar question that seems to pop up weekly in some form:
Can NBC/Comcast close the gap on ESPN who currently towers above every competitor that spans CBS, NBC, Fox, Sports Illustrated, Turner, and Yahoo?

It's hard to believe it was over three years ago when it was announced Comcast would acquire a majority stake in NBC Universal, a deal which set the framework for the full out acquisition of NBC Universal that recently was completed.
When the deal was initially announced back in December in 2009, many including myself, thought there was some potential for the combined assets of Comcast and NBC to mount a challenge to ESPN. Maybe it was wishful thinking as I know many sports fans I talk to are getting tired of being dependent on ESPN for so much of their programming.

Perhaps the optimism surrounding the combined company was part nostalgia as sports fans my age grew up with a 1990's that saw NBC hold a full house of rights that are astounding in hindsight. Per Wikipedia (see that's not too hard Lynn Hoppes):
"During the 1995-96 television season, for the only time in history, the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, and Summer Olympics were telecast by the same network."

From London 2012 through Super Bowl XLVII, those four events would be spread across four different networks.

But slowly, fiscal prudence on sports rights saw NBC lose their foothold in sports. The NFL, MLB, and NBA would all leave and for many, the coverage of these sports has not been at the same level ever since, although NBC's reacquisition of NFL rights through Sunday Night Football has softened that blow.

Fast forward to the announcement that Comcast and NBC were now a combined entity with ESPN in their sights and the NHL, Notre Dame, and the Olympics along with a nice portfolio of web properties and sports regionals in their back pocket. Many envisioned a slow but steady pursuit of ESPN. I told fans who complained to me about ESPN that NBC would begin to challenge their dominance, but that it would "take a decade" to get there.

However, after another swing and a miss on sports rights fees (this time the Big East which will stay with ESPN with some help from Fox) and slim pickings going forward in addition to meager ratings on original programming, you have to wonder if NBC can ever get into ESPN's punching class. Even more shocking is the fact that Fox, a network not particularly known for its high quality sports broadcast experiences, may have jumped NBC on the totem pole with Fox Sports 1, a network that has not even launched yet or even been officially announced.

Below we look at the events, various opportunities, and issues that have hindered NBC's efforts to elevate NBC Sports Network to a viable ESPN competitor...

Let's hope so and I only watch it for NHL games and someone needs to be a competitor to ESPN :)

They have had in the past a policy of not over paying for their sports. Hopefully they keep that but not try to under pay and end up with nothing.

They are going to have to overpay. I do wonder if ESPN's ego can handle them losing a sport to someone else. I really dont see why they needed the Big East. Its not like they dont have enough sports.

ESPN wants to be,the be all,end all network,for all major sports.They will pay whatever it takes to make it happen.Meanwhile us customers will either have to pay more for ESPN or possibly lose out on some games of our favorite teams.

Fox is switching one of their networks to try the same thing, Fox Sports One if I remember right launching later this year. Will likely find the same struggles.

Fox is switching one of their networks to try the same thing, Fox Sports One if I remember right launching later this year. Will likely find the same struggles.

True, but Fox already has some in demand programming to put on FS1 when it transitions from being the Speed channel. Big 12 and Pac 12 football, NASCAR, MLB and UFC.

Fox is actually switching 2 of their networks, Speed & Fuel, into Fox Sports 1 & 2. Rumor has it that Fox Soccer Plus will be converted into FX 2 with FX 1 & 2 being split into a Drama/Comedy duo.

ESPN wants to be,the be all,end all network,for all major sports.They will pay whatever it takes to make it happen.Meanwhile us customers will either have to pay more for ESPN or possibly lose out on some games of our favorite teams.

Then they better start opening up some of the Alt. Channels they have and make sure all games regardless of what sport are shown in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)