Looking for a free web browsing lockdown app

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I'm looking for a free application that I can put on a PC with Windows XP that will prevent all browsing to any site except for just one site. The application must also have a password to prevent the application from being exited. I know I could do this via removing the DNS entries and setting up the one domain in the windows hosts file. But I'm looking for a little bit more full proof method.

Anyone know of anything out there?

I was going to suggest that.. lol.. but other than proxy software I don't know of any..

We have a very annoying application called "WebSense" which blocks just about everything I want to see including things useful to work (software blogs, open source downloads, etc).. and things that have no reason to be blocked (McD's, subway, etc)

I use K9 Web Protection for my daughter:

K9 Web Protection

I think you can block all sites but can't remember right now. I'll check it when I get home.

Websense is more for a corporate environment. We had at the place I used to work before and you need a server and licensing can be pretty expensive.

simply go into IE->tools->internet options->content->parental controls

you can just make a white list (I no longer have XP here, just vista) and restrict all other activity. If you try to go to any other site it will ask a password.

Of course this only works for IE. I assume you will be locking up the PC so that they cannot install their own browser. Vista is much better at it than XP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts