Looking for a free web browsing lockdown app

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I'm looking for a free application that I can put on a PC with Windows XP that will prevent all browsing to any site except for just one site. The application must also have a password to prevent the application from being exited. I know I could do this via removing the DNS entries and setting up the one domain in the windows hosts file. But I'm looking for a little bit more full proof method.

Anyone know of anything out there?

I was going to suggest that.. lol.. but other than proxy software I don't know of any..

We have a very annoying application called "WebSense" which blocks just about everything I want to see including things useful to work (software blogs, open source downloads, etc).. and things that have no reason to be blocked (McD's, subway, etc)

I use K9 Web Protection for my daughter:

K9 Web Protection

I think you can block all sites but can't remember right now. I'll check it when I get home.

Websense is more for a corporate environment. We had at the place I used to work before and you need a server and licensing can be pretty expensive.

simply go into IE->tools->internet options->content->parental controls

you can just make a white list (I no longer have XP here, just vista) and restrict all other activity. If you try to go to any other site it will ask a password.

Of course this only works for IE. I assume you will be locking up the PC so that they cannot install their own browser. Vista is much better at it than XP.