Looking for a low noise fan to cool off turner (plug into 110 AC)

Hot AV Receiver

I have a Pioneer VSX-29TX that likes to over heat and I'm also looking for a quiet fan. Suggestions anyone???

NMB box fan ??

I bought some box fans to build a 3-fan cooling system for my Sony 5300. I haven't installed them yet. I got the lowest capacity rated for 115 vac, 60cfm. The spec. sheet sez 31dB ea., but I won't know what that really means in my listening area until I have the system installed. My idea is to have 3 such fans spread across the top of the unit sucking the air up and out. If that doesn't work right I can raise the receiver and have them blowing into the bottom, which would be the best configuration but a bunch more hassle to install. I also bought a close-on-rise adjustable temp. switch to control them on/off. These fans should be capable of running at lower voltage, hence lower cfm and quieter. So if they are too loud running full tilt I'll try using something like a light dimmer to slow them down a bit. A second thermal switch can be used to "stage" them as well. I chose this type in part because they are ball bearing type vs. the cheaper and less reliable sleeve type. I got them through a local electrical parts distributor for about $13 ea, IIRC...

Attachments

• NMB Fan 4715-FS-12T.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 172
Well like I said, I got them from a local electrical parts store, the kind of place that deals primarily with contractors. They had to order them, but they shipped in about 2 weeks. IIRC they were about $13 ea. plus tax. I'll confirm the price tonight. I looked at the NMB site and a stock check took me to Newark (parts distributor). Newark has them in stock for $17.49 ea, plus S&H...

NMB Technologies Corporation

NMB | 4715FS-12T-B00-D00 | Fans & Blowers | Fans, Heat Sinks & Thermal Management | Newark.com

EDIT 08/12/08: The price I paid for those fans at retail was $16.45 ea. plus tax, not the "~$13" I reported above...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)