Looking for a replacement SD receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwert1515

SatelliteGuys TheList
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Los Angeles CA
My Coolsat 6000 Premium died about two weekends ago, the receiver would not turn on and had a burning smell.

So now I am looking for a replacement receiver. I have a Pansat 3500 (I had it before the Coolsat) but it is very slow compared to the Coolsat and it lacks a few features the Coolsat had that I got use to.

I need a receiver that has channel master support, blind searches fast and has good motor control.

I would like the following features I got use to with the Coolsat: Scan speed or frequency step, blind search multiple satellites in sequence (Ability to select more than one satellite to blind scan).

I only need a SD receiver because I have a PC DVB card for SD 4:2:2 and HD.

Are there any receivers out there that meet my requirements, or come close, or do I need to get another Coolsat 6000? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

you could probably find a cheap coolsat 6100 somewhere (ebay?), and it has timeshift which is nice, dont know if your 6000 had it or not but 6100 does

i have two 5000 & one 6000 and they are almost alike
i prefer the 5000 best but i'm sure its just me
I have a traxis here somewhere and prefer the coolsat over it ( traxis = no CM support)

if i was to get another box ( and i have the diamond & coolsat 8000 for HD & s2 & a usb world box for HD & 4:2:2) probably will sell the coolsat 8000 soon but if i was to get another box it would be a coolsat 5000 or 6000 just cause i know how to use it and load channels real easy and familure with everything. for me its the easiest way cause there is no relearning a new box.

so if its a scanning SD box you need.... stick with what you know unless a new feature pops up real soon that you would like.

me three

Coolsat 5000 ;)
I think Iceberg and Gabsphere nailed it.
Get what you know and like. No point in learning something new.
You use it as a tool, so it needs to work without thinking or relearning.
I need a receiver that has channel master support, blind searches fast and has good motor control.

I would like the following features I got use to with the Coolsat: Scan speed or frequency step, blind search multiple satellites in sequence (Ability to select more than one satellite to blind scan).
The 5000's an 6000's can be had for a song.
Fire up the pipes and be done with it, I say.

And save the dead soldier for me.
Maybe I can study it and learn what died.
Might help the next guy who has a melt down.

Thanks everyone, it looks like I will get another Coolsat 6000 or a Coolsat 5000 if I can't find a 6000.

I looked into the 6100 and the "PVR" feature might be nice but it looks like the receiver is not supported by channel master :(

Thanks everyone, it looks like I will get another Coolsat 6000 or a Coolsat 5000 if I can't find a 6000.

I looked into the 6100 and the "PVR" feature might be nice but it looks like the receiver is not supported by channel master :(

I don't see PVR mentioned on the Coolsat web site. Is this a factory feature or 3rd party? I thought for sure the 6100 Private used the .NDF file format, at least in older code. If someone is running the 7000 code on the 6100 now that would explain why the channel file format is different.

I don't have a 6100 right now, but can get someone to check on it.

I received my replacement Coolsat 6000 today, but there is one major problem, the video switches from color to black and white :eek:.

I reloaded the factory firmware and changed the video cables but they did not fix the problems. Has this happened to anyone else, if so how did you fix it?

NOTE - This problem only exists on the RCA cables the SVIDEO cable gives color :cool:, I had this problem once after my Pansat was serviced and I sent it back to them and they said that the power supply had to be replaced.

Thanks.

NOTE - This problem only exists on the RCA cables the SVIDEO cable gives color :cool:, I had this problem once after my Pansat was serviced and I sent it back to them and they said that the power supply had to be replaced.

I have not seen this on my 6000. You're saying it is color sometimes and then goes to black & white? Or is it always B&W? Check the green component port as well, it should always be B&W, but see if it has any instability.

Does wiggling the cable / connector change it? Maybe there is a cold solder joint.

If you really need composite and don't find a fix you can probably find an svideo to composite adapter. A lot of video cards with TV out came with them.

The video is in color and goes to black and white, if I change the channel it sometimes causes the receiver to change colors and eventually goes to black and white.

Wiggling the cables does not make a difference.

The green component port is always black and white and stable.

Rebooting the receiver or turning it off and then back on does not make a difference.

Thanks.

The PVR function is only available on "after market firmware" I have one of those and they are good.I like my VS ultra better thou as I know it inside and out.The blind scan and sat meter work great on the 6100.I paid $70 shipped to CAN soit's possible be cheaper there.I think they are sorta a 6000 with a bit extra and the 7100 is a 6100 with pvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts