Looking for advice

In addition to the 3 sat tuners on each Hopper, you can get a usb ota module that will add a 4th tuner for your local ota channels. I've got a 1/3 system for 5 TV's. Each Joey can access either dvr as wells as the dvr being able to access the other dvr. Each Joey is linked to one of the dvr's.The only thing that the paired Joey's and Hopper can't do is see the ehd of the other dvr. Each Joey/Hopper is connected through a duo node, so only 1 coax cable is run to each unit. The system is easy to use. Even my thecho-phobe wife has figured out how to use it. We upgraded from a 722 in the living room and a 211 in my computer room.
If you watch a lot of network TV, we don't, activate PTAT and 1 tuner will be dedicated to recording the Prime Time schedule of the big 4 networks and store them for a week. This leaves 5 sat tuners in Prime Time to record other sat signals.
Hope this helps. I made the switch as soon as the ota module came out.

Before the drywall was put up I wired our house with quad shielded RG6. Ended up pulling around 3,000 feet thru the whole house to the main cabinet. I have 3 cables coming off the dish (only 2 currently hooked up) so from what I'm seeing online that would work with the duo node. Then each Hopper & Joey would get 1 cable each? This sounds like an easy install for whoever comes out.

Before the drywall was put up I wired our house with quad shielded RG6. Ended up pulling around 3,000 feet thru the whole house to the main cabinet. I have 3 cables coming off the dish (only 2 currently hooked up) so from what I'm seeing online that would work with the duo node. Then each Hopper & Joey would get 1 cable each? This sounds like an easy install for whoever comes out.

Two lines from dish to node and one line to Hopper and one line to Joey from other side of node.

Well, this sucks. I had decided to go with the 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys and was actually pretty excited about it. Called Dish and the CSR quoted me $495 for the equipment and installation. $200 for each Hopper plus the install fee. I said no thanks so he said I could get 3 922s for free, I'd only have to pay the $95 install. $500 sure seems steep to me, we've never paid anything for an upgrade.

EDIT: I knew I would have to pay for the 2nd Hopper but didn't expect to pay for both of them. Silly me was hoping they would cut me a deal on the 2nd Hopper.

Last edited:
Well, this sucks. I had decided to go with the 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys and was actually pretty excited about it. Called Dish and the CSR quoted me $495 for the equipment and installation. $200 for each Hopper plus the install fee. I said no thanks so he said I could get 3 922s for free, I'd only have to pay the $95 install. $500 sure seems steep to me, we've never paid anything for an upgrade.
Sounds like complete BS. DO NOT call...contact one of the DIRT team members. Original Hoppers were going for $50.00 a month ago.

He did ask if I wanted the Hoppers with Sling. I asked if they were more expensive and he said no. I don't really care anything about the Sling functionality. I really appreciate the help.

PLEASE DON'T run the risk of calling and getting another confused CSR. Contact Dirt!!!!!!!!!

Even in the hopper manual sticky thread (on this forum) the price list is shown and each hopper on the 2h xJoey system shows $50 for each hopper and $0 for the Joeys. $& a month for each system. The quote here is way out of line. Go by DIRT always for actual prices. I did and DIRT handled all including scheduling.

Later: Is see the new hoppers w/sling are $200 each.

Last edited:
He did ask if I wanted the Hoppers with Sling. I asked if they were more expensive and he said no. I don't really care anything about the Sling functionality. I really appreciate the help.

The Hoppers should cost you $50 each on an upgrade assuming you are a customer in good standing and haven't upgraded in the past year or so. The Joey's are free. And as stated by the other members make sure you say that you want the original Hoppers. The one's with sling are $200 each on an upgrade.

And I will definitely second everyone elses opinion on there to go with the Hopper / Joey setup over any other option. In your case it will be pretty much equal monthly cost to three seperate DVRs. And keep in mind that if you were getting by with 4 tuners before, you will now have 6 with only one additional TV.

If you went with three 722k's the additional monthly fees would be:
DVR Fee $7
2nd 722k $17
3rd 722k $17
Total $41

If you went with three 922's:
DVR Fee $10
2nd 922 $17
3rd 922 $17
Total $44

If you went with two Hoppers and three Joeys:
DVR fee $10
2nd Hopper $7
1st Joey $7
2nd Joey $7
3rd Joey $7
Total $38 and you would have HD on every TV and share recordings between every TV. WINNER

How can I find out which DIRT members are online so I can get my Hopper install setup? I looked at who was online in the DISH forum but nothing indicated anyone was a DIRT member. I've been looking for a few days. This forum is a lifesaver.

How can I find out which DIRT members are online so I can get my Hopper install setup? I looked at who was online in the DISH forum but nothing indicated anyone was a DIRT member. I've been looking for a few days. This forum is a lifesaver.

Keep checking every so often, there names will be in red

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)