Looking for Advise on a new TV/Sat setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

Thought I'd look for advice here since everyone knows so much on the subject :)

My current setup is dying, so I'm thinking I'd upgrade since I've got to replace things anyway.

I've attached a picture of my current setup to hopefully make it clearer. I'd like to go with an HD setup, but I'm so lost as to how the HD world works.

What I have in mind is a LCD as big as I can fit. The opening on the cabinet is 44" wide, and I could squeeze another 3/4" going behind the trim. From what I can see a 46" screen is about as big as I can get in the opening. I could go to 50-55" screen if I can figure out a cool method to mount the TV in FRONT of the opening. The cabinet is 27" deep, so from what I could see that's just a little too deep for an extension mount. So I'm looking to see what you all think. I do not want to cut or damage the cabinet, but I can build things, so I was thinking some kind of false wall behind it to mount it too? I'm just not sure how secure it would have to be. (The opening is 55" high, so I think I'm good there)

I'm also looking at a new Dish PVR and am wondering which is the best HD one they have?

I would need a receiver also (main part that's failing now) and my thought is I would get one with HDMI in and out, them plug everything into that with the output going to the TV? The ones I've looked at so far do not have inputs for turntables, is this the norm now? Is there a flaw in this thinking?

When done, I would like to have it setup for Dish box, computer, Blu-ray or Playstation/Blu-Ray. I have an internet switch behind the current TV and I'd like to have that hooked in to the computer for Netflix streaming, and other internet stuff.

I know this is a long post, but I really don't know where to start right now. The TV part is the stuff that's really throwing me. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    959.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4514.JPG
    IMG_4514.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 187
Hi,

What I have in mind is a LCD as big as I can fit. The opening on the cabinet is 44" wide, and I could squeeze another 3/4" going behind the trim. From what I can see a 46" screen is about as big as I can get in the opening. I could go to 50-55" screen if I can figure out a cool method to mount the TV in FRONT of the opening. The cabinet is 27" deep, so from what I could see that's just a little too deep for an extension mount. So I'm looking to see what you all think. I do not want to cut or damage the cabinet, but I can build things, so I was thinking some kind of false wall behind it to mount it too? I'm just not sure how secure it would have to be. (The opening is 55" high, so I think I'm good there)

Jim

I had a Toshiba 61" projection TV in a media center like this one....

http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:WCL300.jpg

When I went to HD, I bought a samsung 67a750 projection to put in its place. It is a nice TV and is only about 16" deep.

I had the problem where the TV wasn't as tall and I had not way to put it in the same spot. I didn't really want to trash my entertaiment center so I bought a TV stand that fit in the same spot and wa about the same color as the entertainment center.

The depth wasn't really an issue since I just placed it flush with the entertainment center.

Crutchfield has a wizard that help give you an idea of what will fit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Wx1LWKzOtUx/App/Tools/TVFitFinder.aspx?view=1

I would need a receiver also (main part that's failing now) and my thought is I would get one with HDMI in and out, them plug everything into that with the output going to the TV? The ones I've looked at so far do not have inputs for turntables, is this the norm now? Is there a flaw in this thinking?

When done, I would like to have it setup for Dish box, computer, Blu-ray or Playstation/Blu-Ray. I have an internet switch behind the current TV and I'd like to have that hooked in to the computer for Netflix streaming, and other internet stuff.

You would probably need to go with a phono pre-amp like this one.

Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 Phono preamplifier at Crutchfield.com

You can do hdmi switching for your inputs.

Sorry to break up your post. :D

Post back if you have more questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)