Looking for Basic Information

mfugate

Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for info to see if I'm getting hosed or not. I really know nothing about Satellite gear so I'm turning to people who can hopefully enlighten me.
I recently purchased a cabin in the woods and it came with some old gear - dish on roof and control inside. When I talked to my local DISH dealer about setting it up for use I was told that it was all garbage and I would need to scrap it and get all new stuff. They claim the items I have aren't work anything for trade in so I should just chuck them in the dumpster.
How can this be? I assume the former owners were using them up until they sold the cabin. There was a hand written date on the manual from the control box (I assume it may be the purchase date) of Feb. 2003. I know 11 years is a life time for the electronics industry, but no value or ability for use at all??

Can someone please help me to understand this ?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Yes. Basically Dish has a certain amount of satellite bandwidth available to carry hundreds of channels. So, to get the most channels possible, they cram as much data on the data stream as possible. One way they are doing this is to change the modulation from QPSK to 8PSK. This unfortunately makes a number of their old/original receivers obsolete. They are also switching from mpeg2 to mpeg4, which makes ALL their SD receivers obsolete.

Which receiver is it that you found in your cabin?

The receiver may have some value, but not likely. The remote could be used for other devices or in some cases a backup to a usable receiver. The dish may be used or may need some upgrading. It's hard to tell without complete accurate info on receiver, type of dish and lnb's.

I did that on my first account. moved into a home with a dish and very old receiver still hooked up. I plugged it in, noticed it was getting some free channels, and called dish to see what I needed to do. they told me the box and dish were mine now and gave me a new account. so...I got stuck with crappy legacy equipment when I could have had brand new for the same price (free). when it came time to upgrade to what I should have had in the first place, I had to pay.

I'm more surprised that you are surprised that a receiver from 11 years ago would be worth anything or would necessarily work. I have what was a mid to higher end audio receiver from 12 years ago worth less than the shipping would be to send it to someone. TV's from 11 years ago would be worth about.... nothing. Even working cassette players that can record are worth little to nothing. Technology has passed them by and would only be worth a little to a few.

Bottom line it may work with remaining satellites it is still compatible with if you can see them from your location. And also depending on your location because it only will work with certain satellites, you may or may not be able to get the Networks. (ABC NBC etc) You also have to be sure the LNB's (that actually see the satellites) in the DISH is good.

If you have cable TV then I can understand, many still use equipment almost as good as DISH receivers from 11 years ago. :)

Last edited:
The OP started by saying they knew nothing about the Sat industry and didn't have any idea if the information they were given was right or not. Give him / her a break they are just trying to find out a little info. We all know there are people out there that will take advantage of a situation esp when they since someone is unfamiliar with a topic.

At 11 years old the other posts are on target IMO and most likely you will need to start over. In fact if you want service it may be better for you in more than one way to start from scratch.

I'm more surprised that you are surprised that a receiver from 11 years ago would be worth anything or would necessarily work. I have what was a mid to higher end audio receiver from 12 years ago worth less than the shipping would be to send it to someone. TV's from 11 years ago would be worth about.... nothing. Even working cassette players that can record are worth little to nothing. Technology has passed them by and would only be worth a little to a few.

Bottom line it may work with remaining satellites it is still compatible with if you can see them from your location. And also depending on your location because it only will work with certain satellites, you may or may not be able to get the Networks. (ABC NBC etc) You also have to be sure the LNB's (that actually see the satellites) in the DISH is good.

If you have cable TV then I can understand, many still use equipment almost as good as DISH receivers from 11 years ago. :)

I would have to agree with that retailer you talked to. If a customer asked what to do with 11 year old equipment they had I would say the same thing. Even if it could be sold and activated it really has little value at that age. I would be lucky if I could sell an old 311 receiver for $50 now days.

The OP started by saying they knew nothing about the Sat industry and didn't have any idea if the information they were given was right or not. Give him / her a break they are just trying to find out a little info. We all know there are people out there that will take advantage of a situation esp when they since someone is unfamiliar with a topic.

At 11 years old the other posts are on target IMO and most likely you will need to start over. In fact if you want service it may be better for you in more than one way to start from scratch.

I gave constructive information in that post. I don't know much or anything about certain electronics, but I don't need to, to believe an 11 year old piece of electronics has little or no value. I would look into it, but I wouldn't be surprised and that is how I worded it - surprised someone would feel it must be worth money.

11 years ago it was 2003. It is possible that his equipment may still work.
I agree, it may still work, but what if he wants HD service, for example ? From 2003, I guess it could be an 811 receiver (maybe). Is the 811 still supported ? Dish does phase out receivers and won't activate them. The dish itself is most likely a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119, so presuming HD service is wanted, he'.ll be missing a few channels since he's not pointing at 129.

That's what I meant when I said it would only see some of the satellites. If he wants the Networks for instance and they are only on the EA for where he is, no soup for you.

There was no EA in 2003. His dish is almost certain to be aimed at 110/119 or maybe only one of those (with a Dish 300).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thank you to all that replied.First of all let me address some of the concerns you seem to have. I haven't replied until now because I was traveling through areas with poor coverage and only have a tablet to work with this weekend. Tampa8 - sorry if I offended you with my ignorance, I turned to this forum in search of answers - not to be reminded of how technically challenged I may be. My fault, I should have been more specific. My concern over the lack of value was for trade in to upgrade to the latest equipment if necessary. As far as the age of the equipment - it appeared the former owners were still using it recently and I couldn't not understand how in a matter of months, it could go from operational to useless. Again my fault - I should have done some research before I asked for help. Thank you for making me feel welcome. If after you read this your feel the need to belittle me again, please don't bother. You can ignore my future posts as well - thank youAs for those who provided constructive information - once again Thank You. When I get back to my computer I will post the model, types of equipment I have and hopefully I can be educated to its worth and usefulness. My need is to know if my local dish guy is just trying to make a sale or not.

Is the dish connected to the receiver? If so, hook it up to your TV. If you get channel 100 and a few others, you're in business. Just call Dish. They'll ask for some numbers, activate the receiver, and you're done.

You mention trade-in value, but Dish doesn't do that. Doesn't matter if it works or not...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If I were the local dish guy, I would sell you new equipment, because otherwise I wouldn't get paid - and it should be free for you so everybody wins. then at least you get a visit, cables may be changed, etc. if you just start service with the old equipment and need some cables checked in the future, you will pay for it.