Looking for Basic Information

This is what I would do. First determine whether the equipment still works and can be activated. If you can still use it the why not, you save yourself a 24 month commitment. If you can not activate it or you prefer to get HD programming then you best just sign up as a new customer.

As for the value of the old equipment, it's basically worth nothing to any retailer or Dish. If it can be activated you may be able to sell it to someone for very little.

Two more things to note.....

1) Why didn't the previous owners take at least the receiver with them ?

2) Presume it's the top of the line Dish receiver from '03. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the 811 (the 921 was maybe just released, but let's presume not for the sake of this). On eBay, there are a total of (6) available. They range from $15.99 - 24.99 on Buy It Now, one listed for $9.99, and one available along with a 301 and 2700 with a starting bid of $20.

Two more things to note.....

1) Why didn't the previous owners take at least the receiver with them ?

2) Presume it's the top of the line Dish receiver from '03. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the 811 (the 921 was maybe just released, but let's presume not for the sake of this). On eBay, there are a total of (6) available. They range from $15.99 - 24.99 on Buy It Now, one listed for $9.99, and one available along with a 301 and 2700 with a starting bid of $20.

For those prices I'd throw them away or just leave them like the previous owners did. To me it's not worth dealing with and wasting my time.

For those prices I'd throw them away or just leave them like the previous owners did. To me it's not worth dealing with and wasting my time.

Not only that, I don't think any of those receivers that Hall mentioned can be activated, period. And thank you Scherrman for the good advice you gave to the OP above.

Reactions: Scherrman
The OP started by saying they knew nothing about the Sat industry and didn't have any idea if the information they were given was right or not. Give him / her a break they are just trying to find out a little info. We all know there are people out there that will take advantage of a situation esp when they since someone is unfamiliar with a topic.

At 11 years old the other posts are on target IMO and most likely you will need to start over. In fact if you want service it may be better for you in more than one way to start from scratch.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to accomplish.

Reactions: Nebugeater
As I said in my last post, I would post the info on the gear as soon as I could. From reading many of your responses I do believe my local DISH guy was had it right - no trade in value and no way to use this equipment. Time to start looking at something new.
Thanks again to all who gave me advice. When I get the new stuff I may have some application questions.
Dish 500 reflector with a LNBF of BS1D1UP201M stamped 110 deg & 119 deg
DishPro DP301. R0035526000

Reactions: Nebugeater
Dish 500 reflector with a LNBF of BS1D1UP201M stamped 110 deg & 119 deg
DishPro DP301. R0035526000
The receiver will not be activated by Dish - they consider it obsolete. The dish and LNB are technically okay and could be used, but a) it's best to have a dish that receives from (3) satellites in order to receive all channels you may be subscribed to and b) the LNB may be 'dead' (they do fail).

Yup; the 301 has been rendered completely worthless because Dish won't activate them any longer. (They can't demodulate 8PSK.) I finally recycled mine a couple of weeks ago, along with my original Dish 4900, a 111 (inexplicably de-supported by Dish despite being able to demodulate 8PSK), and a 4100 I bought from Canada in the mistaken belief I could turn it into a Super 111 simply by putting it into the Dish stream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts