Swtch from DirecTv to DISH?

goodideadave

Original poster
May 25, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I would appreciate some input. Here is my situation. I am a current direcTV customer and have been for 12 years. I have 3 DVRs (for 3 HD TVs) and the Choice Xtra Classic package. We don't watch much TV live, just what is recorded on our DVRs. We watch the major networks, Comcast Bay Area for Giants games, WGN for the occasional Cubs game, ESPN, TBS, Ion, and USA. Never have watched a PPV movie. DTV is charging me $111/month. My wife called them recently and asked for a discount since we were long-time customers. Their response was, no, just pick a different channel package. I would, but in order to keep getting Giants games, the least expensive package would save me about $9/month. BFD, and thanks for nothing direcTV. I would switch to DISH in a second, but here's the thing: DirecTV in my house has been rock solid since I moved here 5 years ago. Had to swap out 2 of the 3 DVRs the first month, but that was pretty painless and since then it just flows. Earlier this year DTV tacked on an additional $4/month charge, now there is something called a "Regional Sports Fee" since February ($1.82). All because they can. So what would you do if you were me? Thanks for your time.

1st thing to do is call directv & tell them the dish installer just showed up. Tell them you wanted to see if they could do anything to change your mind before you let installer begin.

You might be surprised......

Welcome to the site. :)

I would call Dish and set up an install. In fact that's exactly what I did in February. I had been with DirecTV for about 11 years and had recently upgraded to a Genie with an HR24 and an H25. The problem was that the HR24 was incredibly slow and I could get the same programming I wanted for about $25 less a month with Dish. In addition I was able to get even better pricing for the first year which covered my Early Termination Fee with DirecTV.

The Hopper is so much better. It is faster and is much more stable for me. The Joeys are very reliable. The only drawback was losing the 5 tuners in the Genie, but since almost everything we record is on one of the big 4 networks during prime time PTAT makes up for that. I added a SuperJoey a couple of months later to have the additional 2 tuners integrated into the same Hopper interface. Now that it looks like they're going to allow two Hoppers to integrate in a similar manner I may swap my SuperJoey for a second Hopper. That would give me a backup in case something happens to the first Hopper and I have to wait for a replacement.

Go Giants!

If you want to switch best thing to get for most options is a hopper with sling, super Joey, and a Joey.

Dvr fee $12
Super Joey 10
Joey. 7
Total equipment fees $29. Then just add on your package price and that's it.
5 tuners plus enabling ptat gives you 8 during that time period. Comcast sports net comes in for anything AT120+ or above, maybe even AT120 not sure.

Sounds like you are in the bay area. I'd be happy to do your install. :) (contra Costa, Solano, and Napa counties is what my shop covers oh and part of Sac county too).

If I were you I'd do like previously mentioned first and then if they don't drop your subscription price, I'd switch over.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just to add to what's been said, not only would you save with Dish on the introductory prices, the regular prices appear to be lower than what you're paying. In order to get the regional sports networks (RSNs) you do have to have the AT120+. The regular price for the AT120+ is $59.99, and I don't want to quote the 12 month introductory price, but I know it's at least $20 less.

So, even after the first year, if you have a Hopper (3 tuners), a Super Joey (2 additional tuners), and a regular Joey (for a total of 5 tuners to use at three TVs), you'd pay:

AT120+ $59.99
DVR Fee $12.00
Super Joey $10
Joey $7

Seems to be $88.99 even after introductory discounts.

Disclaimer: As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Just to add to what's been said, not only would you save with Dish on the introductory prices, the regular prices appear to be lower than what you're paying. In order to get the regional sports networks (RSNs) you do have to have the AT120+. The regular price for the AT120+ is $59.99, and I don't want to quote the 12 month introductory price, but I know it's at least $20 less.

So, even after the first year, if you have a Hopper (3 tuners), a Super Joey (2 additional tuners), and a regular Joey (for a total of 5 tuners to use at three TVs), you'd pay:

AT120+ $59.99
DVR Fee $12.00
Super Joey $10
Joey $7

Seems to be $88.99 even after introductory discounts.

Disclaimer: As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.
Thanks. Can you tell me briefly what the difference between a Joey and Super Joey are? Also, do you need coax between the hopper and the joeys?

Edit: just googled my questions.

Last edited:
Your best bet is a super joey as it will have an additional 2 tuners in it whereas the joey doesn't.

If the Hopper has the off-air dongle, can the two tuners in the super joey record off-air as well? I'm just about to switch as well (SEC/LHN/Pac12 junkie here), and being able to record OTA in two locations is a big deal.

Bottom line I would not switch. You are happy with Direct TV other than price, well join the club for most all of us with most any provider. If you had Cable my answer might be different.

If the Hopper has the off-air dongle, can the two tuners in the super joey record off-air as well? I'm just about to switch as well (SEC/LHN/Pac12 junkie here), and being able to record OTA in two locations is a big deal.

You would need two off air dongle's, they are under 50 bucks. The joey will be able to see all your recordings. If you have prime time enabled on the Hopper you can record 1 show each on Cbs,Abc,Nbc and fox plus 2 more giving you six at a time. When prime time starts at 7pm-11pm it will record all shows on those prime time channels and you will have 3 tuners open so you can still record two more shows - one tuner from your over the air dongle, so you can still record 2 more shows leaving one tuner for live tv.

With the Super Joey you will have 2 more tuners. A 2nd hopper would give you three more tuners. So if recording is important to you then you will be covered well. To answer your Q about the dongle, you will need two of them one for each receiver. The joey or 2nd hopper will still be able to see that OTA recording.

OK, so if I have one Joey and one Hopper, then I can run only one dongle for OTA. But the Joey will have two tuners for satellite only that operate independently of the Hopper. And both the Hopper and the Joey can see what the other recorded and there is an list of recorded programs includes shows from both of them.....yes?

FWIW, I don't give two hoots what the networks are playing in prime time, can't remember the last time I watched them for prime time programming. So...if prime time programming is NOT enabled, I'll have three tuners on the Hopper, and two on the Super Joey, right? And thanks for the explanations! The last time I had Dish my main receiver was a 3000!

If you record or watch the local big 4 network channels ANY TIME of day (not the OTA ones), they will still only use just one tuner, whether you are watching 1 or 4 at a time. This is regardless of prime time being enabled or not.

Yup! Everything you said in post #15 is right.

BTW - a Hopper is light years beyond a 3000.

If you record or watch the local big 4 network channels ANY TIME of day (not the OTA ones), they will still only use just one tuner, whether you are watching 1 or 4 at a time. This is regardless of prime time being enabled or not.

OK, so here's the deal...I'm a freak for our local newscasts. I record them all, all the time. So what we're saying is that I can tell the Hopper to record all four from 5:00-6:30 p.m. and it will use only ONE tuner during that time? I was under the impression that this was a prime time only thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)