Looking for correct Dish Network Reciever

tbzjr

Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
nj usa
I am looking to see if anyone knows the model number of the receiver that when you hooked an external USB drive to it it worked like a DVR, but you don't have to pay the monthly fee.

I thought it was a model ??? 200, or should I say 200 series.

I twas on the Dish Network site about 2 months ago and tech support told me about it, now when I call back everyone is playing dumb and the bookmarked page I had no longer works.

Thanks in advance

Yep. Be very sure you don't get a ViP222 series if you want to be sure of using an EHD.

The ViP211 series seems to be quite stable. Not as functional as the ViP722 series, but not as expensive, either.

Just remember, with the 211 if you are watching tv you can't dvr anything else since it has a single tuner. There is a 1 time fee of $40. If you want to be able to watch T wi\hile dvr'ing another program, you will need a 722 series dvr.

Thanks for the Input,

DW noted that the a 722 allows me to watch and record and there is only a $40 one time fee,

Can anyone tell me is there are problems buying a receiver off ebay and turning it on with dish network?

What do I have to look forward to?

Will they charge me a bunch of fee's?

Thanks

I forgot to note that I already have service over 12 years now.

I don't want to get in to paying them monthly for a receiver....

Thanks

Thanks for the Input,

DW noted that the a 722 allows me to watch and record and there is only a $40 one time fee,

Can anyone tell me is there are problems buying a receiver off ebay and turning it on with dish network?

What do I have to look forward to?

Will they charge me a bunch of fee's?

Thanks

The $40 only applies to the 211. There are no fees for the722. With the 722 you can record up to 3 feeds, plus watch dvr's programing (2 sat tuners plus 1 OTA). With the 722k you have to buy an OTA module and that gives you 2 OTA tuners. You can use as many EHD's as you want, but only 1 at a time.
I would steer away form Ebay. That equipment may be outdated and you can't be sure that the receiver is "clean"
Dish is converting most people on this side of the country to the Eastern ARC. That requires a VIP receiver since the EARC is MPEG4.

I forgot to note that I already have service over 12 years now.

I don't want to get in to paying them monthly for a receiver....

Thanks

Unfortunately, you'll pay either way. There is NO difference between owning & leasing in that regard. Lease fee or additional receiver fee--same/same. The only advantage would be if you didn't want to incur another 24 month commitment.

Ed

Also, he should be aware of the $6.00 per month DVR fee, if he currently does not have a DVR he may not be aware of this. Also, are you replacing your main receiver with a new one (the 722 or the 211?) or are you going to add this new one. If you are keeping more than one there will be an extra receiver fee tacked on. The amount of the fee will depend upon which receiver you have. If this will be the only reciever on your account (i.e. you are replacing an older one with this new one) then there will be no extra receiver fee. You will not have the $6.00 per month DVR fee with the 211 however as has been stated before, you can only watch one thing at a time and you cannot watch something else while you are recording something.

Just remember, with the 211 if you are watching tv you can't dvr anything else since it has a single tuner. There is a 1 time fee of $40. If you want to be able to watch T wi\hile dvr'ing another program, you will need a 722 series dvr.

That is not true with the 211K. I just verified that you can record 1 OTA program, 1 SAT program while watching a previously recorded event. I also verified that while recording OTA and SAT at the same time you can "recall" between the 2 and rewind either one.

Yep. Be very sure you don't get a ViP222 series if you want to be sure of using an EHD.

The ViP211 series seems to be quite stable. Not as functional as the ViP722 series, but not as expensive, either.

I already have a VIP222 I just was wondering why when people talk about adding hard drives to turn receivers into DVRs they never have the 222 on the list but MattG from Dish answered my question. I'll just still to my VIP722 with Sling to handle my recordings.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts