looking for houston tracker 70 c/ku receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlf35121

Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
oneonta al
i used this receiver to move my 10ft mesh dish mounted on a birdview h&h mount we had a lighting storm and it hit a tranformer run in on tv/hts70/741u lnbf /reed sensor on h&h mount 2 week later bought a vbox and replaced the reed sensor with one from a actuator now only have 5 or 6 counts between sat useing the vbox when i had the hts 70 in the fine tuneing mode i could move my dish to get the ku sat. someone on another form has a hts 50 but not sure it has the fine tuneing mode trying to find a manual for a hts premier 50 to see if it has a fine tuneing mode any info on the receiver or manual will be appreciated dlf35121

The counts are not 'made' by the mover. It only counts them while moving the dish. So if you are only getting 5 or 6 counts between satellites now, I'd suspect the reed switch and magnets on the dish. Think it's skipping over magnets without producing a pulse.
BV mount with a reed switch conversion kit installed?? Check to make sure the magnet wheel isn't loose and 'freewheeling' or too close and catching on the magnet wheel or mount. Close up the air gap between the switch and magnets, and try again with the Vbox. That's what I'd check first.
Maybe even replace the reed switch with new. How is it known that the recycled one is good?? Is it even the right 'shape'?

dlf I am right here in the same town, send me a Private message (click on my name) . I have several analog receivers that are in good shape here. Not sure if that is what you need but I could bring you one and try it out.

The counts are not 'made' by the mover. It only counts them while moving the dish. So if you are only getting 5 or 6 counts between satellites now, I'd suspect the reed switch and magnets on the dish. Think it's skipping over magnets without producing a pulse.
BV mount with a reed switch conversion kit installed?? Check to make sure the magnet wheel isn't loose and 'freewheeling' or too close and catching on the magnet wheel or mount. Close up the air gap between the switch and magnets, and try again with the Vbox. That's what I'd check first.
Maybe even replace the reed switch with new. How is it known that the recycled one is good?? Is it even the right 'shape'?

the vbox moves my dish to far when i try to fine tune. i need to get the right reed sensor i order one from digi-key didn't work then i use one from a actuator

It's possible that it's a motor voltage problem, ie, too much voltage resulting in motor coast after power is turned off so also check to see what voltage the motor is and then check the output of the Vbox too as it's over 30v (I think).

But like Turbosat says, it could also be a problem with the reed switch and or how it's setup in relation to the magnet wheel. The reed switch that's on a Von Weise mover requires that there be an EVEN number of magnets and those magnets have to be mounted in opposite polls, ie, north and south and north and south, etc. Two norths or two south's in a row won't trip the switch resulting in a lower count per degree.

hi Long Gunman im useing a birdview h&h mount with the pod convision to reed. i have the 2" wheel with 8 magnet and i put a reed sensor that worked with a 1" round magnet. ive seen a few modifaction to the birdview mount on the forum. i think these bv h&h mount wouldn't design for ku band. went out and look at the sensor and all magnets are the same not inverted from north to south they are about 1/4' apart i thing i need to get the right sensor the one that went bad was a GIR P-20 -A 221 1-Q-93 threaded barrel

Last edited:
you right i need the one that came with the kit. they are hard to find the one that went bad has a part # and some numbers thanks

It's possible that it's a motor voltage problem, ie, too much voltage resulting in motor coast after power is turned off so also check to see what voltage the motor is and then check the output of the Vbox too as it's over 30v (I think).

But like Turbosat says, it could also be a problem with the reed switch and or how it's setup in relation to the magnet wheel. The reed switch that's on a Von Weise mover requires that there be an EVEN number of magnets and those magnets have to be mounted in opposite polls, ie, north and south and north and south, etc. Two norths or two south's in a row won't trip the switch resulting in a lower count per degree.

motor 36V i have a motor i'm going to change it out thanks

A proper magnet disc would have 24 poles, not 8, and their polarities would alternate, not be all the same.
Linuxman built such a wheel many years ago, and documented it here on the forum.
(he also used a Gbox, which doubled his counts)

More recently, Pendragon documented the use of an actual encoder with 2X, 4X, or possibly 8X as many "poles" for his Ku-only Birdview.
Both got excellent positioning and Ku performance.

edit: I reread your original post.
Apparently you were happy with the 8-magnet wheel.
If you aren't getting reliable counts now, I'd say it was your reed switch.
But it could also be the Vbox.
How long is your cable run?
Can you hang a 'scope on the reed contacts on the back of the Vbox?
Maybe getting some noise, there?

Last edited:
i bought this one in september #59065-01-ND SENSOR MAGNETIC SPST-NO 5/16 THD from them this was the one somebody posted on the forum its not the one that works with the birdview mount i have the part number of the correct sensor they might can match the part thanks for the info

when i was useing the HTS-70 i didn't have any trouble but when i went to the vbox -x and change the sensor that when motor would move the dish to much for the ku side of the satellite i check my magnet wheel all magnets are in the same polarity if you placed them 1/4 " a part you can turn them all they same may i think if its the same one your talking about i think i seen it he done a lot to his mount it looks brand new thanks for the info but not happy may have to get a GBOX or like tubrosat said put a arm on it and be happy thanks again anole

i hope that someone else can understand what you are saying without using any punctuation might i suggest that you type your replies in a word processor that would assist you in forming a reply that can be comprehended by all some of us may have had problems similar to yours in the past but we are unable to comprehend what you are trying to say without caps commas periods i finally gave up

I see what you are saying.iwas useing a iPod and I would use the space bar instead of . And I didn't no it would put all the words togeather I no not to use a iPod to answer.

Actually, I have lately been posting with an iPhone 4.
Other than running a later version of the operating system (iOS), it's about the same as your iPod.
Its auto spell correction probably causes as many funny words as it fixes. :)
I just reread what I wrote when I'm done, and with luck, nobody will ever suspect. ;)

Periods, spaces, new lines, and capital letters are easy.
I do use a 50-cent stylus to type faster and more accurately.
Here's a 10-pack; share with your friends: :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AOKW8Q?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts