Looking for some FTA info. . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
I was given a small dish by a friend that stated it was of no use to him any more. It would pick up 110, 118(I think), and 129. So I know what he was talking about. I have also seen the "Free to air KU band satellite list on this site. My question would be, can this dish and the amps on it be used for true FTA? If yes, then what would be the best satellite to attempt to point to that would have the most FTA programs?

RT.

Sorry to inform you that the small dish he gave you is useless for true FTA. You need a dish of a minimum of 36" in size to start receiving true FTA. What kind of receiver do you have?, most receiver will be good for true FTA.

avenger said:
Sorry to inform you that the small dish he gave you is useless for true FTA. You need a dish of a minimum of 36" in size to start receiving true FTA. What kind of receiver do you have?, most receiver will be good for true FTA.

actually ive been able to get 101 on a 26 inch dish. i doubt itd make tv thru a rain storm but it works. ive got a 30 inch dish aimed at 72 aswell. but my 1m performs alot better.

cant hurt to try with what you got but that lnb is gonna have to get swapped out for a linear.

crackt out,.

actually ive been able to get 101 on a 26 inch dish. i doubt itd make tv thru a rain storm but it works. ive got a 30 inch dish aimed at 72 aswell. but my 1m performs alot better.

cant hurt to try with what you got but that lnb is gonna have to get swapped out for a linear.

crackt out,.

I have a Sonicview 8000 receiver. The lnb was the problem I was thinking about. Best guess is they are circular polarized that are on the dish at this time. Now will my old 8 ft mesh BUD do the trick with the 8000 receiver? Would the the power out of the 8000 be correct to power the lnb on the BUD?

RT.

yes the old 8 foot dish would work fine with that receiver

Depending on the type of LNB it **might** work. Does the LNB have 3 wires coming off of a blue box? If it does you could just upgrade the LNB to a voltage switched one (that the receiver can switch polarity)

if you want to get your hands dirty...

Friends don't let friends BUY dishes smaller than 36" if they're FTA newbies.
But, making something work is always fun.

From the description, you might have the 1000.2 listed on this page with others.
(pix of the 1000.2 only)
As you can see, it's 19" high and 24" wide.
Not gonna be a real performer. :)

Worse yet, all after-market LNBFs have scalars designed to see round dishes.
You won't be able to get one that sees all this dish, and nothing more.
BUT, all is not lost. :up
Rig up a holder to mount a Standard (10750 Local Oscillator) LNBF on your dish.
You'll have to remove the original LNB trio, and maybe the plastic shell/extender holding it to the arm at the bottom of the dish.
Make sure you put your replacement LNBF at the same height and angle as the original center unit.

Point here to see get a little programming: 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku
Out of all those channels, a few may appeal, and it's certainly a good mix.

Of course, if you don't want to fool around building things, buy or find a larger dish. - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)