Looking for some starter tips

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Duke Pittsburgh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hey gang, FTA newbie here. Bought a camp in the mountains of Pennsylvania with a DN500 hanging outside (think it's 18"). Bought a $40 eBay Pansat 2700(not a clone) and was perfectly happy with having only ION TV & NASA TV. Since they have been removed, I've toyed with pointing to some different birds with all the info I've gathered from these threads, and the sites they have led me to, but have not been successful with any channels. I'd be really satisfied if I could just pick up an ABC News One or Ohio News Network (actually ANY english speaking channel) or even some wild feeds. Any chance of that happening with an 18" dish, or is (min)90cm a must? Also, there's no Diseqc switch on the DN500, coax strait from the 119w side of the dual LNB. Any point in trying to get input from both? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Hey gang, FTA newbie here. Bought a camp in the mountains of Pennsylvania with a DN500 hanging outside (think it's 18"). Bought a $40 eBay Pansat 2700(not a clone) and was perfectly happy with having only ION TV & NASA TV. Since they have been removed, I've toyed with pointing to some different birds with all the info I've gathered from these threads, and the sites they have led me to, but have not been successful with any channels. I'd be really satisfied if I could just pick up an ABC News One or Ohio News Network (actually ANY english speaking channel) or even some wild feeds. Any chance of that happening with an 18" dish, or is (min)90cm a must? Also, there's no Diseqc switch on the DN500, coax strait from the 119w side of the dual LNB. Any point in trying to get input from both? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

First go into the receiver infomation in the menu and see if it has the factory file or a hack file,you must have the factory file for true fta. Second the dish 500 is just that,for receiving dishnetwork programing and it has a built in diseqc switch in the lnb that is if it is a dishpro lnb,you wont get true fta with the dish500!

You won't get anything else with that DBS lnb. You need a linear Ku lnb to attempt getting anything else. Do a search there are some threads here on using a Dish 500 to get some of the stronger transponders on various satellites

No, no point in adding a switch to that setup, that I know about. Nothing left on DN for free, other than maybe A promo channel or two. I'd locate a bigger dish with a linear lnbf and build up a system that would be reliable. Find yourself a 1m dish, like an old primestar, and you'll be set. Ohio News is gone, btw, they went internet-only awhile back, but the ABC thing is still there on 89w ku. Welcome to the forum !!

when speaking of dishes bigger is better... the dish 500 has an internal disqc switch & circular lnb's.... what u need for fta is linear... the 18 inch lnb will yield very little as far as fta.... check local garages that are closed down for some dishes for free

You need a 30" or larger dish and a Linear LNBF to get the good FTA channels on KU satellites in the continental US.

It is possible to put a Linear LNBF on your Dish500 and get a few strong transponders in clear weather, but the signal will be weak and hard to find.

The circular LNBs on your Dish500 are useless at present for true FTA signals.

The learning curve is very steep at first in this hobby. Much study is needed before success is assured.

I suggest you read through some of the faqs on this site, and be sure to read the Tip of the Iceberg section.

The Pansat 2700 is a nice receiver with a good blind scan. All you need is a bigger dish with a linear LNBF.

This thread will show you what I was able to get with a Dish 300 (even smaller than a 500) with a linear LNBF installed on a motor, a year or so ago.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/189909-dish-300-dmx521-linear-sg-2100-a.html

As has been mentioned you will only get the stronger tps, and even those would probably drop out in bad weather with that undersized reflector.

If money is the issue try to find a used (free!) Primestar, Muzak or Hughesnet/Direcwav internet dish, any of those can be adapted for a fixed FTA installation pretty easily.

Duke,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

The previous responses to your questions are on target. The DN equipment won't be usable for FTA - at least not reliably. A larger dish reflector is required and the LNBF needs to be of the LINEAR polarity type.
DN uses circular polarization and a stronger power level and the satellites are separated in the sky by 9°, so you can get by with using the smaller 18" dishes.
FTA sats use linear polarization, transmit with lower power (and thus can be located closer together than 9° - they can be 2° apart) so you need a larger dish to capture their signal.

In reality, there can be several linear FTA satellites at near the same orbital location in the sky. For instance, Hispasat at 30.0°W. There are actually three satellites there now, Hispasat 1C, 1D and 1E (soon to be on line). These satellites are truly three unique physical masses of metal and electronics, so they obviously cannot occupy the very same space. They are actually separated slightly. One might be 29.96° and another 30.03° or something like that. But, for all intents and purposes to us from our viewpoint on earth, the receiving station, they are all at 30.0°W. So, they all appear to be the same satellite, even though they are three unique satellites positioned there.

Now, if it is the intent to keep two satellites separated (so that when you scan one, you don't scan the other as well) then they have to position them further apart. For linear sats this spacing is 2° and for the circular satellites, it is 9°.

This information is all for your benefit to understanding the differences between specific sat transmissions. It is only one little piece of the basic foundation that you will need to know in order to understand everything.

So, what is the difference between linear and circular transmission? Well, a simple analogy will get your mind to visualize it. In linear polarity, think of looking through a gun scope where you see the vertical and the horizontal crosshairs. The antenna on the satellite in space is orientated the same way, like a big "+" sign. So, the vertical polarity signals are resonating in a vertical line - up and down and the horizontal polarity signals are resonating in a left to right fashion.

In order for your LNBF to capture those signals properly, the vertical crosshair in the LNBF on your earth based antenna must line up with the same vertical axis as the antenna on the satellite in space. And the same for the horizontal crosshair or axis. So, envision the linear satellite in space to be a large "+" target and you must dial your LNBF in on it to align the V and the H crosshairs with the "+" on the satellite. If the satellite is directly south of you, the "+" sign stands straight up. In the northern hemisphere, if the satellite is more to the east of you, the "+" appears to lean over to the left or to the east. So, to track that change properly, you have to tilt (or roll) your gun scope in the same direction to maintain the alignment. This is what is called "polarization" of the LNBF.

Actually, the components of the "+" remain perpendicular (|) and parallel (-) to the circumference of the earth, but when the satellite is viewed from different locations on the earth's surface, it appears to be leaning or tilting unless it is due south of you. To compensate for this angle appearance, you (or your LNBF) must lean over in the same direction to view it as if it is still upright.

Circular polarization is much different. The signal appears like a corkscrew, twisting CW or CCW as it eminates from the satellite in space and down to earth. Like putting English on a pitched baseball or a rifle bullet that spins as it is exiting the muzzle of the rifle. Now, the polarization of the LNBF no longer matters. The LNBF can be twisted in a circle to any position and still receive the signal. So, here you can think of your LNBF like a "funnel" for the signal. It doesn't matter how you rotate the funnel, it captures the transmitted signal the same in any position.

These same polarization rules apply to C-Band as well as Ku-Band signals.

Now, with your new cabin, your main trouble is going to be with having a good LOS (Line Of Sight). If there are trees or hills and mountains in your way, you won't get one specific satellite. If you are atop the peak of a mountain, you have no worries except the trees. If you are down in a low valley, you may find your LOS limited by the mountain ridges. Depends on the terrain of course.

For Ku-Band, a 75 cm dish might get you by acceptably. You can go up from here to a 1.2 M dish to amplify low signals better and to reduce rain fade and provide for better separation (less interference) from adjacent satellites.

A 76 cm Winegard DS-2076 dish is really quite acceptable for the mid-section and more southern United Sates. It is inexpensive, it is lightweight, it is built tough, it is easy to handle and it is designed well. Everyone states that bigger is better, but that all depends upon the specific application. I have several of these specific dish models (DS-2076) and they are absolutely fine for my purposes here in Nebraska. Now, I have also installed a 1.2M GeoSatPro dish which gains me a few more lower power channels and improves my reception on the ones that I was getting with the 76cm Winegard.

I would not go less than 76cm nor do I think that it is beneficial to go larger than 1.2 M for Ku band in the mid section of the country. Somewhere in this range you should find a dish size that fits your niche.

I hope that my information will be helpful to you. If nothing else, you will store some of this information in your head for just reference purposes.

RADAR

Last edited:
WOW! I mean WOW!!! First off, I cannot believe that I have learned more in half a day than I have in the last 6 months! Lesson learned, surround yourself with good people (members of Sat Guys) and don't be embarrased to ask questions!
RADAR, that was AWESOME info, I like most, understand best by analagy, and the "gun scope" refference really helped me understand.
I am going to take all of your advice with the bigger dish and linear LNB.
"The_Man_One", may I ask what you meant about checking local garages for the bigger dish? Is that what companies use for their "piped in" corporate TV?
To all, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. I've only been a member for a day and already had people reaching out to help, it is very much appreciated.

You will see the Andrews / Channelmaster / Primestar / Muzak dishes on gas stations, restaurants, banks, anyone that uses satellite for their credit cards etc, will usually have one on the roof somewhere. Usually I see the round .75 and .90 cm or the oval .84cm dishes in my part of the country. Rarely see the 1.0m or 1.2m around here.

WOW! I mean WOW!!! First off, I cannot believe that I have learned more in half a day than I have in the last 6 months! Lesson learned, surround yourself with good people (members of Sat Guys) and don't be embarrased to ask questions!
RADAR, that was AWESOME info, I like most, understand best by analagy, and the "gun scope" refference really helped me understand.
I am going to take all of your advice with the bigger dish and linear LNB.
"The_Man_One", may I ask what you meant about checking local garages for the bigger dish? Is that what companies use for their "piped in" corporate TV?
To all, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. I've only been a member for a day and already had people reaching out to help, it is very much appreciated.

Duke,

You are most welcome, from all of us. We enjoy the fact that you joined our group and you won't regret it!

Next step (tip) for you is to understand that the mast that you set your dish upon, whether you use a motor or just a fixed point dish like DN normally uses, must be precisely plumb. Use a good level and check your mast all around to be sure that it is perfectly vertical. All the other angles that you set with your dish or motor depend highly on the mast being absolutely straight up. This mast is the foundation for your dish. Ensure that it is a good foundation. Just a minor error here will cause you great trouble down the road in your dish alignment. So, take great care to ensure that you install your mast perfectly. You will find yourself cursing if you do not follow this major item of advice. This step is critical.

Your mast also must be sturdy. Wherever you install your mast, it must be extremely secure so that wind and even elephants wont' change it! Your mast should be so sturdy that if an elephant needs to scratch his butt on it, that it won't move. OK, that is a little extreme, but you get the idea.

RADAR

Our next tip for you is this. When you go out to your installation of the dish. Take your receiver and a small TV set with you. You want to set up the sam situation as you have in your living room or TV room. Having this equipment directly at your dish site will allow you to get immediate feedback from any adjustments you make to the dish or motor. Trying to have a friend or your wife yell out to you and try to align the dish that way is futile. It is too difficult and you may even get yourself in trouble with your wife over this. Your best friend might even run out of patience here, so beware and try hard to follow our recommendations. We do want to make this easier for you and we do know how to do that, so please take heed in what we tell you. Some of what we tell you is general information, but you want to pay closest attention to the tips and tricks. These are the things that make your life and your endeavor so much simpler.

As always, good luck! :)

RADAR

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

On the pages of this forum, you will find all the information you'll ever need for the FTA hobby. The members who responded above have given perfect advice. I just wanted to add that there are a couple of dishes that you might find people throwing away that would work without modification. One is the Dish Network Superdish, and the other is the DirecTV International dish. Both are larger than standard Dish Network or DirecTV dishes, measuring more than 30" wide. Both of these dishes already have linear LNBs that will work for Ku-Band FTA, so if you can find one, you'll be set without much equipment expense.

Please let us know when you're up and running!

local garages have sat dishes on top of them... some are great for ku reception & even have the lnb u need to go "as is".... lots of the dishes up there have been "upgraded" to newer services which makes the older dish dead weight so to speak.... ive seen a lot of primestar dishes like the 85e & the big round ones 40" x 43" on tops with different names... most of the time u can find the owner & give a bull crap story about getting the "eyesore" off the roof for free... bam free dish... also decide wheather u want to run multiple dishes & switches or a motor... most of the guys here have a combination of both... i personally like the switch option if im using it for tv viewing (keeps the wife happier with instant channel changes) motor has a delay while driving to the position... motor is the best option for searching feeds & such

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts