Looking to buy a new HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahhutch9

Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I am looking to buy a new HDTV within the next month or so. And I am having a hard time trying to pick. The most I would want to spend is around $2000. I have been looking at Circuit City, etc. and really like the Hitachi TV's. I am pretty set on a Hitachi unless someone is able to change my mind, but I am open to suggestions and input.

I have read quite a few reviews on Circuit City's web site on the Hitachi's and they all are good and rate the TV's high.

I just went to Sears yesterday and by chance saw a couple other Hitachi's at Sears that Circuit City doesn't carry.

Circuit City carries the 57F710S for $1799.... while Sears carries the 57S715 for $2099. However, Sears will price match plus give an extra 10% off and I found the 57S715 at another store for $1799.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these TV's and which one I should go with?

Any help would be great! Thanks!!!

I have no idea which one is better.

As you can see by my signature I also have a Hitachi HD (UltraVision line) that a run in my bedroom. I think these are one of the best RPTVs made. I recently moved it from the den into the bedroom to go much larger with improved resolutions in a much smaller footprint, but would clearly recommend this line to anyone in search for the best RPTV.

i just got back from circuit city, but did not look at the one you are talking about. i saw a sony 57 inch rear projection for 1799 that i am considering.

More questions....

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I won't be moving out until the end of July... but to be able to buy the 57S715 for $1619 seems too good to be true. I might have to bite the bullet and buy it now and store it until I move out. Do you think that is a good idea?

Also, I was reading a couple reviews on the internet and ran across some on designtechnica (I tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me)... the 57S715 didn't receive too many good reviews... any comments on some of the negatives that were listed on that website?

I am also looking to possibly purchase a Universal Remote. I was looking at the Sony RMAV3100... does anyone have any experience with this remote? It looks cool... but I just wasn't sure if it would be compatible with the equipment that I have. I believe the surround sound and dvd player I received for Christmas was by Sanyo. Are these compatible with the Sony remote?

Does anyone have any recommendations on cables for the Hitachi TV? I know Monster cables are supposed to be really good... but which ones will I need? Do I need audio cables, etc?

Finally, sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any recommendations for a 27-32" TV for less than $400 that I could mount in my bedroom? I am looking for something relatively thin so people don't knock their heads on it. Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

wahhutch9 said:
Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I won't be moving out until the end of July... but to be able to buy the 57S715 for $1619 seems too good to be true. I might have to bite the bullet and buy it now and store it until I move out. Do you think that is a good idea?
I don't know what the regular price is, but I personally wouldn't spend that money now just to have it sit in storage for a month. Remember that your warranty starts the day you buy it. If there is something wrong with it or needs returned, a store may not allow it to be replaced instead requiring you to go through factory service.

HDTV prices are dropping quickly. If there isn't a sale on that model today, there will be one tomorrow.

i would also recommend waiting if you are not going to use it right away. it seems like prices fall every week and with the new models coming out, they will only go cheaper.

korsjs said:
i just got back from circuit city, but did not look at the one you are talking about. i saw a sony 57 inch rear projection for 1799 that i am considering.

Go with the Sony It is leaps and bounds over Toshiba, anyone that says Toshiba has a better picture then Sony on the exact same input have problems with their eye sight.

I didn't see where anyone mentioned a Toshiba. However the Hitachi UltraVision line is easily equal and in some cases better than Sony.

Samsung DLP is the only way to go. Some people will disagree but I see 5-10 HD TVs every week in peoples homes all price ranges and sizes and nothing compares. I've had mine for a little over a year and have had 4 friends see my tv and sell their sony's and Hitachi's and go buy a Sam DLP. 3rd gen at best buy for about $2200.

What size is that for $2200? Is it over 100 high def inches? their 61" (LOL) is $3500 - 46" is $2500 - 42" (SQUINT) is about that price. Just joking around, so don't get bent. I would assume anyone that sold a Sony or Hitachi to get this set was selling a NON-HD set.

charper1 said:
I didn't see where anyone mentioned a Toshiba. However the Hitachi UltraVision line is easily equal and in some cases better than Sony.
I'll drink to that, a friend bought the 65" Ultravision and it even makes Dish SD look good (that's before it looked as good as it does today), and that was through an 811 and a SD PVR.

HD921 said:
Go with the Sony It is leaps and bounds over Toshiba, anyone that says Toshiba has a better picture then Sony on the exact same input have problems with their eye sight.
This would be an opinion.
The best TV is the one I own. Why? Because I bought it. ;)

If one sticks with the major brands- in no particular order- Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony, Mitsubishi, or Pioneer there is not a lot of difference in similiar priced models. Technology wise DLP,LCD and CRT arer different animals. No one technology is better after being properly set up by an ISF PQ wise. All have different benifits wether it be resistance to phosphor burn, size or price.

Pick a price range you can afford and then look at the technology.
1500 will buy you a good CRT RP, 2200-2700 will get you DLP or LCD much more for plasma.

My HDTV setup cost me less than $750.

I bought a Samsung SIR-T351 on eBay for $165, and a Sony VPH-D50Q on eBay for $465, plus antenna and cables <$100.

I haven't done a complete convergence on it yet (too busy watching an amazing picture), but my 72 inch picture looks like I'm right there.

If you do your research carefully and shop smart, it is easy to get a setup for under $1000.

CRT has the best picture, but it is brightness challenged, unless you don't mind burning up your tubes.

I figure I've got at least 5 years of viewing left on this projector with minor tweaking along the way.

I find it amazing how the eye can ignore color bands near the edge of the picture that are obvious when you look at a convergence grid.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts