Looking to buy a projector

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am wondering where you can find comparisons of the quality of particular projectors vs. particular televisions that way we can see what we can get for the money. I would hate having to buy a bulb for one about every year.

I have had mine for more than a year (14mos) without the need for another lamp, but figure this. Based on 7 years (I am sure we all might be looking for something new in 7 years)

5 lamps @ todays cost = $1500 (one per 14mos / lamps are rated per hour however)
HD Projector and 106" basic manual HC matte 16x9 screen = $2200
Total $3700 for 7 years of LARGE 106" HD

The above is non-refurb/full retail, can be moved easy and setup on a small table in 10 mins at another location for a party, scaled up or down in size without buying anything new. Lamps will get cheaper over time.

Now, the TINY HD 60"+ fixed flat screens

Cheapest costs I saw online *non-refurb (if you have another post it/the cost/where)

RCA Scenium HDLP61W151 61" DLP $2700

Mitsubishi WD62527 62" LCD $2500

Samsung PPM63H3 63" Plasma $7000

Last edited:
Pj

First you need to decide between a DLP or LCD projector. Try to see both types in person to help you decide. There are many nice 720p projectors in your price range. A great site to learn more about projectors and read reviews is Projectorcentral.com.

AND just to add, no chain retail box will give you the real truth on the quality and bang for the buck on projectors because of the much better profit margins they have on flat pannels. So they will always push toward that. Find a quality Home Theater shop and read online.

Last September I was given a sneak preview of the Infocus IN76 which was just released. It is spectacular! Infocus also has some of the very best service and support, they really stand out in that regard. (Sorry Charper)

Where are you located Claude? Try to see a Panny 900 or PLV-Z4 and compare them to a 720p dlp. One that is probably able to be seen in most larger cities is a BenQ 7700 or Optoma HD72. They're all on your price range.

Another advantage for Infocus is they are calibrated to D6500 (or very very close) out of the box.

Personally I prefer DLP but have been impressed with the Panasonic AE900 for LCD.

Digital Dude said:
Last September I was given a sneak preview of the Infocus IN76 which was just released. It is spectacular! Infocus also has some of the very best service and support, they really stand out in that regard. (Sorry Charper)

Oh don't be sorry DD; I am for the promotion of any QUALITY FPTV as opposed to people being brainwashed into thinking ONLY about flat panel. I have no comparison on that service & support level between the two, as I have never needed mine. But I have heard great things about the non-entry level InFocus units (X series) but seeing that mine was about $1000 or so cheaper and comes very highly industry rated, I would have still picked it; and I am not a huge fan of DLP projectors. I have also read great reviews on the Pany.

Sanyo-PLV-Z4

Panasonic PT-AE900U

BenQ-PE7700

BenQ-PE8700

InFocus PlayBig IN76 #1

InFocus PlayBig IN761 #2

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Oh don't be sorry DD; I am for the promotion of any QUALITY FPTV as opposed to people being brainwashed into thinking ONLY about flat panel. I have no comparison on that service & support level between the two, as I have never needed mine. But I have heard great things about the non-entry level InFocus units but seeing that mine was about $1000 or so cheaper and come very highly industy rated, I would have still picked it I think; and I am not a huge fan of DLP projectors. I have also read great reviews on the Pany.

I agree 100%. I am prejudiced towards CRT for PQ but that's a dead horse. I personally have a NEC HT1100 with a 106" Graywolf and love it, too bad NEC has pulled out of HT FP at least for the short term. You probably know my prior alias, I've been into and done many FP's in the past 4 years. Flat panels are way more expensive per square inch and don't have anything to do with the term "theater", unless you are right on top of them they don't take up enough of a person's field of view compared to a movie theater.

I believe in budget home theater, it's where the real "bang for the buck" is. There are many places you can go read about $10,000 Sony Ruby's but the vast majority of sales are under $3000. When you figure an 8 ft front projection setup costs about the same as a 42" flat panel there is no comparison. An 8 ft FP screen has 2 1/2 times the viewing area of a 65" RPTV. With the coming of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray along with HDTV, those that want to feel like they're on the field at the Superbowl or want a real movie experience can achieve that with front projection, you're "there" you're not watching it.

I may have picked a bad moniker, every time I read DD I think of Kramer and Frank Costanza arguing over "Manssiere" or "Bro"!

AMEN!

Hey, a buddy of mine is about to go for FPTV and the one he likes can be bundled for a real nice savings with that Grey Wolf screen, can you pass along some details on it and how you like it; please?

While it's billed as being "Retroflective" (Devo?) to give the highest gain back in the direction the projector is and people say you should table mount your PJ to get the most out of it, it stands on it's own very well. I've used it on HT1100 and a HT510. It really helps out the HT510 and gives the 1100 a slight bump. The 1100 has a 3500:1 CR with Iris and the 510 is listed at 1200:1 but with the grey wolf the blacks are helped a great deal.

Compared to a matte white screen the projected image is more viewable with ambient light with the grey wolf.

I had tried grey screens in the past, most are .8, the grey wolf is glass beaded and suposedly 1.7 gain. The bottom line is that it's a sweet screen for digital projection, helps with viewing with some ambient light, pulls down the black level without much discernable muting of color, and helps reduce Screen Door Effect (SDE).

I can't believe the low price it goes for, definately a keeper.

While motorized are cool the self tensioned versions are rather spendy. A fixed frame won't develop waves. My Grey Wolf is a pull down in front of a fixed matte white DIY screen. I'd fix the grey wolf but like the option of having different screens when evaluating a projector.

Pj

Forget about the Benq 7700. There's a very long thread about it at Avsforum.com with ongoing bulb failure and firmware problems.

I've heard good things about the Infocus IN76 also.

Right now I'm using the Infocus X3, great low budget pj.

I agree though, that crt will give the best picture, but alot of setups (basements) can't handle 175# of projector hanging fron the ceiling without ducking. :)

I'd love to get my crt's back in use, have a couple of Sony VPH-12xx laying around that my wife just rolls her eyes at whenever I pull one out to play around with.

The upgrade bug has bitten, and the Infocus IN76 is looking like a good option. Infocus has been great with their warranty and support.

rangersjay99 said:
but alot of setups (basements) can't handle 175# of projector hanging fron the ceiling without ducking. :) .

WHAT? What is 175# ? (that usually means pounds)

Many projectors only much as a ceiling fan. Less than 10"

There are many quality units under 15#

If talking about hang; you have to be referring to a non-standard low ceiling; under 8'.

LOL! I thought you were talking about the LCD & DLP ones we were talking about.. I had thought the CRT they mentioned was RPTV untis. LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)