Looking to get into DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjg247

Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
The Big Ten network has forced my hand, I need DirecTV.

Where would I go about getting the best install and setup pricing.

I will only need 4 boxes.

I was thinking 1 HD-DVR (possibly two depending on price)
2 HD receivers
1 regular receiver

What kind of startup costs would be associated with a setup like this?

Thanks for the help!

Scott has a deal with Welcome Satellite Guys Forum Members - Plasma Concepts for users of this site so that might be a place to start. The other way is to just call D* and ask what type of deal they can make. Since you want a HD DVR I'd go with the "wanting to upgrade to HD" line, tell them cable and E* will give you the box with no upfront charge, what can D* do to help lessen the pain of switching to them.

Wait, D* is DirecTV.

E* is Dish network?

Plasma Concepts is offering 1 HD-DVR for $199. Is this a good deal? I have used cable forever so buying equipment is completely foreign to me.

If I get the HD-DVR for $199, I will then have to buy every other box for the house? That could end up being VERY pricey, right?

Thanks for your help.

Yep, D*= DirecTV, E* = Dish (aka Echostar).

The 'lease' price on the HR20 is $299 and if you want to a Best Buy or Circuit City that's what they'd charge. Even thought you pay for it it's still a leased box and needs to be returned when you cancel service. As to if $199 is a good deal, it is if you can't find it cheaper anywhere else, probably only D* will be able to deal much lower then that.

As for the other boxes, a straight HD receiver is $99 but they've been giving those for free for new customers according to some ad's I've seen. As I said probably the best thing to do is just call and see what deal you can work out. If you don't like the first deal just say no thanks and try again later, a different CSR might do better, and then again might do worst, it's a crap shoot.

Is the HR-20 the newest HD-DVR?

I noticed that on Ebay they are going for around $225. Is this to own them, or is it a lease like D* offers?

I noticed that on Ebay they are going for around $225. Is this to own them, or is it a lease like D* offers?

Yes, the HR20 is their newest. For $225 it's most likely still a lease, to purchase one without having the lease is $800 IIRC. I'd just go with the lease since if it breaks D* will replace it for the shipping charge ($20), if you purchase you're on your own.

HR20 is the latest and unless its like $700-800, its a lease upgrade fee. You do not own the receiver.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Which in you opinion would be most advantageous, going through DirecTV or one of the dealers such as Plasma concepts?

Double OUCH!

I just called and they want $500 dollars for the equipment. 1 HD-DVR($200) and 3 HD receivers($99 a pop). $700 for 2 HD-DVR's.

I can't do it. $500-700 and I don't own anything? Comcast which I hate, charges me $5 a month for HD boxes. I don't have a DVR through them so I don't know how much they cost.

I forsee at least two more outings to a local watering hole in the near future to watch my Nittany Lions.

I have always wanted to get DirecTV and for sports fans I hear it is the end all be all.

I guess I will have to wait until they lower their cost for HD equipment from my first born to one arm and/or leg.

Thanks Brewer and Rad. It would have taken me a long time figure out the info you guys gave me in a hour.

Did you try calling DirecTV directly to see if they would work out any deal for you? If not might be worth a shot, doesn't cost anything to try.

call again... :) You might be pleasantly surprised. You can simply say that you have reviewed the various forums and have seen that some people are getting the h20 or h10 for free, so why can't I?

Ouch, not much of a deal then. Are you calling the 1-888-777-2454, D* new customer number? As I mentioned, just try calling again, you may get something better, other have.

You may also want to consider lowering your equipment order just a tad. D* will often give you one advanced receiver free or at little cost but ordering more than that will likely result you receiving no discounts.

You may also want to consider lowering your equipment order just a tad. D* will often give you one advanced receiver free or at little cost but ordering more than that will likely result you receiving no discounts.

Good point.

jjg247 ,
You may also find better prices if you wait a few weeks till the new channels start to pop in, they may offer different options.
Also, you may be interested in the deal for the ST , you pay for the ST and get the Premioum package free for 3 months I think it is still.

As iwc said above
I would only order what you definately need right now. 1 HR20 and maybe 1 other, then after 6 months they will deal with you on another rec., until then, they will be standard prices after the first one.

Unless you get a CSR that just doesn't care.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)