Looking To Go HD.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sissacot

Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
...but there's NO WAY (and I mean no way) that the Mrs. is going to bite on a $900 HD-Tivo unit (HR10-250). Currently have a triple LNB dish (receiving locals) and a Philips DSR704 Tivo unit connected to my HD ready tv (Pioneer SD643HD). Is it possible to hook up an HD receiver w/ the current Tivo and run the 2 simultaneously so that I can watch HD broadcasts and mamasan can still set-up her season passes? I realize that the recorded shows won't be watched in HD (I guess). If this can be done, can you walk me through the steps for setting this up. Fair warning...I'm mechanically and technologically retarded!! Lastly, any suggestions on a good basic HD receiver. Thanks in advance for the input.
Scott

I know what you mean about the expense of the HD Tivo.

I think you can hook up a seperate HD Tuner box if you can receive Over The Air HD channels.
IF you want to add a 2nd Direct TV box to you tv that should also be possible. If you can run a line into the room and you have an additional input on the back of your tv or receiver you should be good to go. They would be run as two seperate boxes but I don't see why it would not work.

Do not, and I stress...DO NOT...buy Samsung SIR-TS360. They are complete pieces of junk. I can't tell you how many times I've troubleshot one and was biting my tongue about to tell them to take it back cause they completely suck. HNS is the best quality out of all of them, IMO.

Beavis said:
Do not, and I stress...DO NOT...buy Samsung SIR-TS360. They are complete pieces of junk. I can't tell you how many times I've troubleshot one and was biting my tongue about to tell them to take it back cause they completely suck. HNS is the best quality out of all of them, IMO.

Amen brotha.... testify! I have one of those things myself. At the time that I bought it, the 360 was the only option for someone wanting HD but not wanting to spend $1,000 on a HD Tivo. Now that there are other options available, buy anything but the Samsung 360.

the hughes htl-hd has been solid for me.. they are discontinued, but ebay will have them I am sure

Thanks for all of your input. I'm also looking at switching back to Cablevision. Check this deal out; Phone (unlimited local / long distance), internet (cable modem) and io digital cable package w/ hd-dvr for $109 / month x 1 year! Zero install & equipment charge, due to being a satellite customer. I'm thinking about switching for a year or 2 until the new hd satellite technology rolls out and we see about the next generation of equipment.

Maybe I am dense or missed the answer here. I have the same question as Sissacot and a similar setup. I also have no knowledge of this stuff or how it works.

I have a Phillip's TIVO D* receiver with two cables from my triple LNB dish SD programming w/locals feeding my TV via one S-Video Input.

Can I buy an HD H-10 receiver and run another cable from the triple LNB to the H-10 receiver and HDMI out from the H-10 to the TV's HDMI in for HD programming, and still have the two current cables from the Triple LNB dish to the Phillips TIVO and from it into one of my TV's S-Video input thus getting D* HD programming from the H-10 via HDMI, and SD programming with locals, record two channels SD and playback, season passes ETC through the Phillips TIVO receiver in its current configuration?

It seems like it should work since different TV inputs are being used to display different programming. My Sony GWIV has seven seperate video inputs including HDMI, two component, and three S-Videos.

OTA HD is not an issue here as I run the OTA antennae directly into the VHF/UHF TV's input on my SONY GWIV 55WF which has a built-in ATSC tuner for OTA HD broadcasts. I also have a second dual LNB dish feeding SD to two other standard D* recievers with locals. I hope this makes sense.

Mtnmike said:
I have a Phillip's TIVO D* receiver with two cables from my triple LNB dish SD programming w/locals feeding my TV via one S-Video Input.

Can I buy an HD H-10 receiver and run another cable from the triple LNB to the H-10 receiver and HDMI out from the H-10 to the TV's HDMI in for HD programming, and still have the two current cables from the Triple LNB dish to the Phillips TIVO and from it into one of my TV's S-Video input thus getting D* HD programming from the H-10 via HDMI, and SD programming with locals, record two channels SD and playback, season passes ETC through the Phillips TIVO receiver in its current configuration?

Mtnmike:

Yes, that should work just fine.
I have almost the exact same setup, except I use Component Video rather than HDMI.

The HD DirecTivo is $650 for current subs. If you pay anymore then your just wasting money, or not trying. ($900 online buy+$250 customer retention credit)

Mini1

Where did you get it online D*? D* site just takes me to local Dealers that sell it.

mini1: keep in mind a customer retention credit must be negotiated and you'd need to be "in the right place at the right time" with a friendly rep to really get it. (or be really, really persistent)

chaz: D* doesn't sell receivers, for the most part. (And definitely not the HR10-250)
Contact a responsible dealer like ValueElectronics.

Its not really that hard anymore to get the $250 credit. I have heard many, many people saying that they got it on the first try. Maybe it takes two calls, and 15 minutes of your time. Is is worth $250, you bet!
chaz-Have you ever heard of Google? Check to find the 1000's of online retailers of D*. Make sure you pick and autorized dealer, like Valueelectronics.com.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)