Looking to switch to Voom

tinman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
waldorf, md
I am a new user to this site. I have been reading for days and have found most of the posts very informative. I have Dish Network currently and after 7 - 8 years of paying a lot of money for equipment (purchased system before they started giving it away) on installs, upgrades and new boxes, I am looking to purchase an HD tv and don't want to spend several hundred $$$ more for a HD receiver from Dish. I started seeing Voom on the infomercials and started checking them out. It would cost me $50 to install 4 boxes. This sounds great to me.

My question is for content. There is very little information on their site in regards to PPV. When I called their customer service, they were just as vague. Does anyone have any information on Voom's PPV service and are there any former Dish customers that have switched to Voom? If so would you please let me know your opinions between the two?

Thanks.

tinman,

Welcome. Currently there is no PPV on VOOM, except for the Playboy HD Channel. There is reason to believe that at some point PPV will be available. When? Nobody knows. I am a current Dish Network subscriber. I am sure you will find that opinions about switching vary. In my case, there's only one reason I made the switch, more HD & I did not have to pay for the equipment. I made three investment with Dish Network. One I have already sold (721) and the other two (6000 receivers) I have just watch HDnet and HDnet movies.

It really all depends what you needs are. Look around what people say. Some same great things other say negative things. Compare channel line up and see where is your interest. Best of luck with your decision.

I was a Dish customers for several years also before switching to VOOM.
I too didn't want to pay big $$$ for equipment upgrade for my then new HDTV.
VOOM is good if you like being a "beta tester" and live alone or have another cable system or satellite system active as a backup. If not, and have a family of small children or impatient spouse then forget it for now. It's not worth it.

STB lockups occur way more then Dish. Rain faid occurs more too.

See if your local cable has hd-dvrs dual tuners for lease. For the price of VOOM you can probably get two rooms with hd-dvrs instead with cable.

another plus... if your stb goes on the blink or come upgrade time... with cable all you have to do you walk into your service center and swap them out yourself.

Sean,

Thank you for your response. I made this same agonizing decision several years ago when I made the switch from cable. At least if I change this time, it won't cost me over a thousand dollars like it did last time and I will hold on to my Dish equipment for a while just in case.

no ppv right now (i would venture a guess atleast some ppv will be added in march when the new SD capacity goes online)

I would keep dish until early march when the dvr pricing has been announced and what new channels will be added... unless you want to switch now and get in on that great installed deal and have no ppv for a few months.

I had cable (w/ 4-6 HD stations) until a year ago and for me it was a no brainer. Once you go HD it's hard to watch any other TV source. One thing that is very little talked about is the East Coast/West Coast feeds for the premium channels on VOOM. I don't know if other satellite services have that cool feature but it sure makes viewing much more accessible (hey, us West Coasters get premieres 3 hours before those poor East Coast suckers).

I agree with the earlier post that Vooms STB is not as user friendly as Cable but so what if I have to get up off the couch to reset the box once in a while. At least it's some form of exercise...Good luck with your decision...

Thanks to all for the information. I think that I will probably wait until March (thanks Jagouar) to make the switch. I do have a PVR system with E* and have loved it. I was willing to give it up but if I only have to wait for a couple of months then so be it.

Sean Mota said:
tinman,

Welcome. Currently there is no PPV on VOOM, except for the Playboy HD Channel. There is reason to believe that at some point PPV will be available. When? Nobody knows. I am a current Dish Network subscriber. I am sure you will find that opinions about switching vary. In my case, there's only one reason I made the switch, more HD & I did not have to pay for the equipment. I made three investment with Dish Network. One I have already sold (721) and the other two (6000 receivers) I have just watch HDnet and HDnet movies.

It really all depends what you needs are. Look around what people say. Some same great things other say negative things. Compare channel line up and see where is your interest. Best of luck with your decision.

Wow almost exactly the same reason why I am having VOOM installed tomorrow

I am still a dish subscriber, but when I found out that they obsoleted the 921 which I have, and that new HD content will be in mpeg4 which none of the current receivers support, I decided to give VOOM a try. What a deal, free hardware and installation.

How do you like VOOM, specifically the HD content?

Thanks for any input

jeslevine said:

Thanks for any input

I have the VAVA-VOOM package (will give you the most channels HD if it is in your budget) with Playboy HD. In my case it is about choice. I get all my locals through the Antenna (even before VOOM, I was receiving locals through antenna). I also have HDnet and HDnet movies through Dish and INHD through Cable. So "choice" is important to me. When I look at the various choices I have, I can always find something to watch and no less in HD! I have given up in any SD watching. All the stuff I used to watch in SD, I no longer watch. If a channel wants my attention, they'd better go HD because I am not watching otherwise.

I believe that if you have the budget the 21 exclusive needs to be complemented with the premium package movie channels and you will have the best of both worlds.

jeslevine said:

Thanks for any input
I hope you like it. I find Voom hard to watch on most channels due to video noise and soft images. The DishHD Pack looks much better on the same channels than they do on Voom. As a result, I rarely watch Voom and am seriously considering dropping them. Plus, they have too much repetitive programming.

Some people think I am nuts because I gripe about Voom's PQ, but until someone can either fix my problem (I just swapped an stb and it did NOT fix my problem) or just fess up to the fact that Voom is not up to par, I will continue to gripe. :yes

Enjoy! :D

I suggest that as with any good analysis that you look at the bulk of feedback and eliminate the statitical outlyers. You will find one or two people in every forum who claim that the particular service is God's gift to the world. You will also find one or two who just will not shut up about whatever particular issue that they, and often no one else, seem to be experiencing. Ignore those extremists on either end and you should be able to make a good decision.

I admit, I am an extremist, but what I see is real. Right now I am watching Jeckyl & Hyde: The Musical on HDNET and it is hands down, THE BEST HD I have ever seen from any source, to include CBS. The actors look like they are standing in my living room. I have yet to experience anything close to that from Voom.

I also am currently A Dish Network customer and am seriously thinking about Voom. I would miss my recording capabilities for a couple months, but I think I could deal with it if it makes financial sense to get in with the cheap installation now. What do you guys think.... do you think it will cost more or less later?
Options being install now for cheap, upgrade to their new receiver when it comes out..... OR do you think they will have some better deal with the new receiver once it comes out? decisions decisions

Taank said:
I also am currently A Dish Network customer and am seriously thinking about Voom. I would miss my recording capabilities for a couple months, but I think I could deal with it if it makes financial sense to get in with the cheap installation now. What do you guys think.... do you think it will cost more or less later?
Options being install now for cheap, upgrade to their new receiver when it comes out..... OR do you think they will have some better deal with the new receiver once it comes out? decisions decisions

Just wait for the DVR to OFFICIALLY be released and get it all done at ONE TIME

exactly why I am trying to guess what will be cheaper, getting in on the deal now and upgraing to the new receiver. or if when the new receiver comes it it has some good deal also, in which case i will wish i had waited.... arg.

i have had my HD ready tv for 4 years now without HD. I'm ready for HD, but
i can't see sticking with Dish Network and their limited offering...insult to injury they just raised the price. grrr.

Target dates are made to be broken. Definitely true for the past year. If you want to get HD, get Voom now. The DVR might be ready to place orders on March 31 with shipments to the earliest orders in April and May. And if the March date slides...

Taank said:
exactly why I am trying to guess what will be cheaper, getting in on the deal now and upgraing to the new receiver. or if when the new receiver comes it it has some good deal also, in which case i will wish i had waited...
It all depends on your priorities and financial situation. As for me, I can't imagine myself sitting without HD for a couple of months or more just to save a few bucks down the road, especially after spending thousands of dollars on a HDTV set... Life is too short! ;)

It's also not worth throwing away $64/month on if you don't watch it, that is not smart money. Voom may have tons of HD, but I can rarely find anything worth watching, I am about a heartbeat away from cancelling. Besides, I am sick and tired of the skeeter noise and Voom (including Wilt), don't give a rat's arse about my issues.

DarrellP said:
It's also not worth throwing away $64/month on if you don't watch it, that is not smart money. Voom may have tons of HD, but I can rarely find anything worth watching, I am about a heartbeat away from cancelling. Besides, I am sick and tired of the skeeter noise and Voom (including Wilt), don't give a rat's arse about my issues.

Will DarrellP finally pull the plug? Of course not. He is such a big tease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)