Looks Like Lin is back!

that's because DISH increases their bills without adding any channels. At least this recent increase the number of channels increased - added FX and the Starz package and promised price protection until 2013

Dish has outpaced Direct TV and Cable in general in adding HD channels, and continues to do so. I feel HD has revitalized TV and am starting to feel like many other posters. I am less willing to watch a channel that is not in HD, not counting channels like EuroNews.... And Dish has added channels even to some of the lower packages that they did not have judging from the posts I am seeing. I feel you are off track saying they have not been adding channels. In fact that is obviously the road they have chosen. Direct as we all know has more sports but has not chosen to be as aggressive in HD. Probably not a bad thing to have two different choices, both of which far outweigh cable where I am....

Yep, did a scan and no MSG on Finger Lakes TW. And yes, Elmira is still SD. Big thing for me is that Jeopardy is not on CBS in Elmira. T0aht way I can watch it on the 2 weekends in March when CBS shows March Madness of Thur and Fri.

It was on my system at 78.1489 last night, however I don't have the just plain local broadcast basic. However both of the Buffalo Lin Stations were available not only analog, but both SD and HD Digitial QAM..

I
p.s. anyone who actually believes that Dish/Charlie's "playing hard ball" with programmers has significantly reduced their subscription fees should ask themselves why this tactic over time has not produced a substantial difference in the subscription rates for comparable packages with DirecTV. Or maybe you all believe that Charlie/Dish "playing hard ball" has single handily lowered subscription rates for ALL satellite TV subscribers :rolleyes: In which case, we should all switch to DirecTV where we can benefit from Charlie "playing hard ball" without the hassle of losing channels during the fracas :)

no, but Charlie is making more money.

Dish has outpaced Direct TV and Cable in general in adding HD channels, and continues to do so.

Using a 625, HD channels do me no good as "channel additions" so except for the rare channel addition to my 120 package, the number of channels added do not give value for the annual rate hikes I've been paying.

The 625 is nearing end of life as are all the rest of the standard definition boxes. It's just a matter of time ("SOON" in dish-speak) before everything is converted to MPEG-4 and the old box is worthless.

Using a 625, HD channels do me no good as "channel additions" so except for the rare channel addition to my 120 package, the number of channels added do not give value for the annual rate hikes I've been paying.

Yes, and you conveniently didn't mention you don't get any HD. The vast majority are not interested in more SD, and Dish is listening and adding HD. ;)

Interesting exchange between me and keeplinmediaonDISH@linmedia.com. I didn't receive a reply to this as of yet.
That makes it VERY hard for us as subscribers to vet the information that both sides are using in their PR campaigns.

Please also explain why Dish says in their slide (see http://www.satelliteguys.us for a capture of it) that LIN refused to take their calls?

On Wed, March 9, 2011 8:57 pm, keeplinmediaonDISH wrote:
> I honestly don't know. Because of legalities of that contract.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Larry Rosenman [mailto:ler@lerctr.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:47 PM
> To: keeplinmediaonDISH
> Subject: RE: So, Who's not telling all the story?
>
> What was the previous contract then?
>
>
> On Wed, March 9, 2011 8:39 pm, keeplinmediaonDISH wrote:
>> Dear Larry,
>>
>> Because we are still under negotiations with DISH, we are still not
>> allowed to talk about actual dollars. Yes, we are saying that it is
>> pennies a day a subscriber and when DISH says it is 175%, when we ask
>> for a penny more on a penny that is 100%. We are only asking for
>> fair market on what DISH is already charging you the subscriber.
>> Nothing more. You as a subscriber of DISH is paying for local
>> programming, we are just asking DISH for fair market on that.
>>
>> We never left the table, we have and will continue negotiations with
>> DISH.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Larry Rosenman [mailto:ler@lerctr.org]
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:48 PM
>> To: keeplinmediaonDISH; president@dishnetwork.com
>> Subject: So, Who's not telling all the story?
>>
>> Gentlepeople,
>> Now that the LIN stations are off Dish, I'd like to know the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) What are the ACTUAL dollars we are talking?
>> LIN says "Pennies per Day", Dish says 175%
>> What are the ACTUAL numbers (previous contract, and each side's
>> offer)
>>
>> 2) Why does Dish block the EPG information for the OTA Tuner for
>> the stations that are off the satellite
>>
>> 3) Who left the table, and when are you getting back to the table?
>>
>> I am in the Austin, TX DMA (KXAN/KNVA).
>>
>>
(personal contact info elided).

Note: The initial mail was sent to both LIN and Dish. No response as of yet from Dish.

Last edited:
So, it's OK to ask for a triple-digit percentage increase because it amounts to only "pennies a day a subscriber"?? Shameful.
Both sides are using numbers that make the other party look bad. For Dish, they are saying "175%"; LIN is saying "pennies per day". Both could be right, of course.

Both sides are using numbers that make the other party look bad. For Dish, they are saying "175%"; LIN is saying "pennies per day". Both could be right, of course.

And of course they are using "Secrecy" clauses in the contract to prevent us from having enough information to figure out who's the bad guy here.

I really don't expect actual replies with real numbers, but this is why the FCC needs to get involved in Retransmission Consent.

And is that for just subscribers of the LIN stations or dose LIN want the increase for every Dish customer? Big difference.

I believe it was you that mentioned earlier that LIN is not denying the 140%/175%, percentage increase, they are simply downplaying the amount by saying it's only pennies. If the percentages mentioned are accurate the actual rate amount involved is irrelevant. What's the justification for such a big increase?? All I've seen from LIN is that Dish charges us for locals, and they want their cut....

And is that for just subscribers of the LIN stations or dose LIN want the increase for every Dish customer? Big difference.
I always think Dish puts the actual numbers of viewers on the table vs "all". They have that data so why not use it to their advantage ?

I really don't think LIN is that arrogant to base their numbers on ALL Dish subscribers when the topic at hand is LOCAL stations. National networks surely do that and have some justification to do so too.

I believe it was you that mentioned earlier that LIN is not denying the 140%/175%, percentage increase, they are simply downplaying the amount by saying it's only pennies.
What I'm saying is LIN hasn't come out and said "we did not ask for a 140/175% increase!". They've simply "converted" the numbers to one that sounds better in their favor. :)

And of course they are using "Secrecy" clauses in the contract to prevent us from having enough information to figure out who's the bad guy here.

I really don't expect actual replies with real numbers...
No offense, but when I read your e-mail above and asked for actual numbers, I laughed ! No way they'll EVER give those out and for the respondent to imply that because they're still talking, he can't -- is he suggesting when it's settled, he'll give you the numbers ? No way that will happen.

Oh, I agree that it'll never happen, but I seriously think the FCC needs to get involved here as they can do things under seal.

I believe it was you that mentioned earlier that LIN is not denying the 140%/175%, percentage increase, they are simply downplaying the amount by saying it's only pennies. If the percentages mentioned are accurate the actual rate amount involved is irrelevant. What's the justification for such a big increase?? All I've seen from LIN is that Dish charges us for locals, and they want their cut....

the reply I got didn't deny the 175% number, but put it in the penny or 2 per day range.

I'd still like to get real numbers (won't happen due to secrecy/confidentiality clauses), but they BOTH need to stop putting the subscribers in the middle, and just make a REASONABLE deal.

Pennies a day could mean 10 cents a day and that equates to $3.00 a month (or so) per subscriber. That is far more than half of what Dish charges for locals. What about all the other local channels, when they get wind of another group getting that much, they are going to ask for something similar. Voila, Dish has to pay twice as much , or more, for locals and in turn so will you.

I'm getting by with OTA, but the lack of guide data has some really annoying side-effects
- The recording doesn't display the date/time, so you have to start watching to even know what show it is before using the "Edit Name" feature
- The slate has a "NR/AO" rating, which means I have to put in my "kid lock" password to start watching
- If I set the recordings up to start a minute early and end a minute late, I end up putting the password in 3 TIMES, because each 1-hour block is a new "slate"