Looks like UNC @Chapel Hill sports programs are done.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigjohnok

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BFE Flyover State
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...dent-athletes-to-bogus-classes-181214478.html

The University of North Carolina Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes was found culpable of creating easy, non-show classes that catered to student-athletes in an effort to give them better grades.

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011).

The academic impropriety in Wainstein's report is far greater than previously reported by the school or to the NCAA.

Wainstein said many academic and athletic officials knew about the scheme, which began with Deborah Crowder, a longtime manager for the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, and gave student-athletes inflated grades for what Wainstein termed “paper classes.”

Paper classes were essentially classes that were independent study, had no professor and just required a paper at the end of the term. According to Wainstein, Crowder never gave students a grade unless they actually submitted a paper, but she awarded “artificially high” grades to the papers submitted regardless of their content.

I am thinking the punishment that the NCAA hands down will rival what happened to SMU.

Last edited:
Ya know, if you're gonna cheat like that, you should at least be able to win.

Georgia went through the same thing back in the 80's. The State board of regents fired the University President and Vince Dooley almost (should have) lost his job.

Later on he was actually forced out after the school's academic profile was raised (thank you HOPE scholarship), and academics became more important than football.

If all of this is true then there definitely needs to be severe punishment.

I think the death penalty is too harsh for any school just because it punishes the current students more than the previous ones.

That was more than 18 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But North Carolina has pretty much stayed a decent team even until today. Like Kentucky,North Carolina is known more for basketball than for football. Also,off the top of my head,I couldn't name a player more recent than Jordan. That's because I don't really follow college basketball except for the tournament to the final four & then championship.

I think about the only thing you can do is see if criminal charges can be pursued,if anything illegal can be found,check current student-athletes' curriculum & suspend them until they meet proper & legit academic standards,& Fire all knowingly involved,both teachers & coaches.

The NCAA will apply its typical double standard and sternly warn UNC. If it were UNC Asheville or even UNC Charlotte, they would get the death penalty.

Unc won't get the death penalty, but it sure is a very ugly mess.I hope all the parties involved get the punishment they deserve.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The age old question is, how do you punish? It sure isn't fair to the kids or staff who weren't there for the violations. There has got to be a way to punish strongly without penalizing people who had NOTHING to do with cheating.

Reactions: Teehar
The age old question is, how do you punish? It sure isn't fair to the kids or staff who weren't there for the violations. There has got to be a way to punish strongly without penalizing people who had NOTHING to do with cheating.
As the school enabled the action (by not monitoring the coaches/athletes), they should not be able to escape punishment. by claiming that it hurts later students/staff, the school is escaping culpability.

The NCAA & NFL could always enter an agreement that punishments would follow the atheletes and/or coaches into the NFL, but not sure that would survive an anti-trust claim.

That is the old saw that comes out every time these NCAA cheats get caught.

First, while this one involves academic fraud, the more typical deal involves paying the players. Which is a little thing called Income Tax Evasion, which is a felony. So you ARREST, TRY, and IMPRISION both the athletes and the boosters, and the coaches if they knew about it. In this case, you CANCEL the credits or degrees.

Second, you are not "punishing" the kids for their predecessor's crimes. They still get their scholarships, which is what it is supposed to be all about. The punishments fall directly on the two groups responsible. Only in the USA do we have anything like this in college sports. Booster alumni use sports teams to build up their self-worth about their college. Booster non-alumni use the team to enable themselves to think of a place they have no actual relationship with as "us". And the schools use the team to get private, and worse yet, public money by building on this perception that somehow STATE U is "us", often at the expense of other fine public institutions that don't happen to have the name of the state in the name of the school.

Nothing will happen, of course, but I would be fine with telling UNC-Chapel Hill that it can never play sports again, and transferring its athletic programs and the right to call itself "North Carolina" to UNCC.

Lack of institutional control. IF the coaches are still coaching, fine the sh!7 out of them and UNC or where the issue occurred. Hit them where it hurts and the current kids do not get punished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)