loosing channel 205 late afternoon

altaknife

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
N. Calif.
For the last couple weeks I loose channel 205 intermittently right around 5PM for about an hour. SIGNAL is 35 and then no signal for a few second and then on again and off again. All day long no problem. Sun is shining 90 degrees across the face of the dish when it happens. Thought it was that till last night it did it after the sun dropped behind the trees. I have a Dish 500 119 & 110 lnbs SW1 switch and 1 coax to one receiver.

may need to replace the lnb. no switch test or any cable change is going to fix it really. do you live near an airport, does a cop sit in your driveway, etc.... any other interference like that? if there is, the dish might want to be moved. either way, have a tech out

I'm going to upgrade my dish 500 to a 1000.2. Hopefully the change will be positive., i live in the mountains away from everything.

For an SD receiver the 1000.2 probably will not get you any better signal.

All it does is add another satellite, which has very little or no programming for the 510.

The change might fix your problem however, if it is a faulty lnb.

Yeah, it's probably an lnb or some kind of connection problem as it acts up just as the sun is not full on the antenna and it's cooling off. Isn't the 1000.2 a bigger dish than my 500? Figured I might get a stronger signal as it's only 35 now.

You definitely need to have your system checked. The problem sounds like one caused by interference or burst noise, rather than failure of some sort.

I believe you are using a SW21 and legacy lnbs, so I would think that your installation is old. Therefore, I would check connections for corrosion, replace the SW21, and any F-81 barrel connections that may be in the line.

Still, it sounds more like interference; but if you get your signal higher (which it should be) than 35, you MAY have large enough signal to overcome the interference. You should be able to get the signal up to the 70's.

It's not temperature.

Last edited:
Size isn't factor

Yeah, it's probably an lnb or some kind of connection problem as it acts up just as the sun is not full on the antenna and it's cooling off. Isn't the 1000.2 a bigger dish than my 500? Figured I might get a stronger signal as it's only 35 now.

Yes the 1000.2 is larger but its due to the fact that it is picking up 3 sat not 2. This means area for each sat is about the same. Only reason to go to the 1000.2 is if you are going HD. You seem to have more than one problem here. Something sounds like it is causing an intermittent connection. 2nd 35 is a bit weak of a signal. My weakest signal on 72.7 is about that range and it is about to rain cats & dogs here.

Today should prove something. It's cloudy and showery so not so hot on the dish and connections. I haven't had much above 45 on any channel since Dish said they " adjusted my meter" in set up. Said the signal would be the same but indicate lower. WHAT?

Nothing near enough to me to cause interference. I'm on 12 acres.aybe the trees are growing , but it's only effecting 205.

Somebody doesn't want you watching Bill O'Reilly on Fox News (205) @ 5pm.

But you say your on 12 acres so you got no neighbors nearby, weird.

:D That's funny and what my wife said.

Things are better now with the new Dish curing the 205 problem and finally a Download got all my channels back.

Thanks to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)