Lord of the Rings FINALLY given Blu-Ray Release Date

That is terrible news. How could they screw this up? I was going to wait for the extended editions anyway, but that is very bad news.

Hopefully, the bad press will ensure improvements are made for the extended/director's cut.

I'd rather not. Actually, I'd rather my wife didn't. She'd want it NOW. And then when the Director's/extended/enhanced/superduper version gets released later.....

I'll be watching late tonight as were on for an Adam Sandler movie first tonight. I have to stay up all night these days due to my father's illness. I did look at a sneak peak on my old Samsung BD1400 as I'm getting it updated to give to my daughter and husband. It looked sharp on edges and good details absent the DVD muddiness, but what I saw was more toward sepia tones than brilliant color. Hope that is meaningfull enough for you for now. The sound is in 6.1 but I haven't listened yet.

Watching on the OPPO BD83SE now. Screen is a matte white variable aspect ratio Set for 102" wide with a BenQ 10000w dlp FP.

The opening scenes of the wars and background of the ring is in plenty of video detail but as stated earlier, color is subdued and sepia tone.
When Froto first appears the color opens to full splendor with lots of range and saturation. I use the clothing fabric to look for bandwidth and video noise. I would rate LOR equal to some of the best PQ of all BD releases. I turned on the OSD on the player and the bitrate often hits 36 Mbps on the busy/fast action scenes. In some of the open field and landscape scenes in bright sun it appears the yellows were a bit overdone. In the darkest scenes at night there is plenty of detail to see in the shadows and clothing fabric. (note: the darkest scenes are lost when I watched on my smaller LCD screen that is not an ISF calibrated system using a computer BD player.)

Sound stage is full with excellent rear center channel placement and definition. This is especially good when the fireworks is animated.

The main PQ negative is in a few of the open field scenes where I felt the yellows were a bit overkill, almost as though there was a push in the film processing for enhanced yellows. Fortunately this only happens during those few shots. (note: I never saw this movie in the theater celluloid for comparison)

The main sound negative is in the rear surrounds. During some of the scenes the music dominates these two channels and at times overpowers. This may be an affect of my HT design and that my main seating is not ideal for 6.1.

Overall, I would not have a problem placing this BD release in my best demo material category. Image quality and range alone are superp examples of how a good FP that is calibrated can look above a small screen that is not calibrated.

Time to buy this one and throw my DVD copy in the trash.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts