Los Angeles City Council approves downtown NFL stadium plan

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
The Los Angeles City Council approved a $2.1-billion proposal Friday to build a football stadium downtown in hopes of attracting an NFL franchise back to the city that has been without one since 1994.

As reported by KNBC Los Angeles, the proposal by Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns stakes in the Staples Center, the Los Angeles Kings hockey team and the L.A. Galaxy soccer team, includes a 76,000-seat stadium that is slated to be named Farmers Field.

"This morning we're going to take a giant step forward in the city of Los Angeles," L.A. councilwoman Jan Perry said, according to KNBC Los Angeles. "This is about bringing football back to the city of Los Angeles, and don't let anybody tell you it's not."

The NFL has not made a commitment to bring a team back to Los Angeles, which has been without a league franchise since the Raiders returned to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis. The AEG-backed plan is one of two proposed stadium proposals geared to attract an NFL team -- the other is Majestic Realty Co.'s plan to build a stadium near the city of Industry.

AEG recently was put up for sale by its parent, Anschutz Co. Patrick Soon-Shiong, a philanthropist and the wealthiest man in Los Angeles, is considered among the potential bidders for the company. He attended Friday's city council meeting, along with AEG CEO Tim Leiweke and NBA great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-nfl-stadium-plan?module=HP11_headline_stack

They don't deserve another franchise. They let 2 of them go away already.

What happens if they don't get an NFL team? Personally I don't think they will be building a stadium without having a verbal agreement with an NFL team already but just saying.......... I think the Raiders will be moving back to LA they almost never sell out the Oakland Coliseum.

What happens if they don't get an NFL team? Personally I don't think they will be building a stadium without having a verbal agreement with an NFL team already but just saying.......... I think the Raiders will be moving back to LA they almost never sell out the Oakland Coliseum.

They already have a "professional" football team,they're called the TROJANS. Also,UCLA could play their home games there rather than travelling farther across town over to Pasadena & the Rose Bowl.

Let's see...move the Rams back to L.A., move the Colts back to Baltimore, move the Cardinals back to St. Louis, move the Browns back to Cleveland, and move the Browns II to Indianapolis or Arizona? Did I miss anything?

Razzle-dazzle, boom chugga lugga, boom clugga lugga, boom clugga lugga, boom.

[video]http://www.evtv1.com/Player.aspx?itemnum=2087[/video]

Last edited:
I dont know. I dont know if I would want an existing team. Ex. let's say the Jaguars are the ones to move to LA. Can you see the city of Los Angeles get ready for the team that used to be the Jaguars? Thats just me.

Hart5150 said:
Chargers should move there. They can't sell out in San Diego, and qualcomm is a dump.

And that is why they are having a terrible time selling out. That place is 45 years old. Football stadiums just don't grow old gracefully like baseball stadiums do.

I didnt know qualcomm was a dump. I mean Super Bowls are always held there and I was thought that San Diego at least was a very nice city to see a game.

Let's see...move the Rams back to L.A., move the Colts back to Baltimore, move the Cardinals back to St. Louis, move the Browns back to Cleveland, and move the Browns II to Indianapolis or Arizona? Did I miss anything?

Yeah, move the Redskins back to Boston.

Razzle-dazzle, boom chugga lugga, boom clugga lugga, boom clugga lugga, boom.

[video]http://www.evtv1.com/Player.aspx?itemnum=2087[/video]

Well you could move the Cardinals all the way back to Chicago, the Bears back to Decatur, and the Reskins all the way back to Duluth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)