Losing all my shows on the DVR....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

the_patrick

Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
so the directv repair man is at my house (second time) for a repair call. He is telling me that he has to do a hard reset on the HD-DVR due to a software glitch that is causing one of my satellite inputs to not function properly (or something close to that). He says this is the only way to fix the problem and I wil lose all data on the disk. :(

Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Is there another way to fix this problem without losing all my shows!?! If he has to do a hard reset, should I ask him to just install a new HD-DVR - meaning maybe it is hardware not software....

I am a new Directv customer, and have has nothing but problems... I guess the dvr has been bad since it was installed..... and losing all the shows i recorded is icing on the cake...

Any input is appreciated.

so the directv repair man is at my house (second time) for a repair call. He is telling me that he has to do a hard reset on the HD-DVR due to a software glitch that is causing one of my satellite inputs to not function properly (or something close to that). He says this is the only way to fix the problem and I wil lose all data on the disk. :(

Has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Is there another way to fix this problem without losing all my shows!?! If he has to do a hard reset, should I ask him to just install a new HD-DVR - meaning maybe it is hardware not software....

I am a new Directv customer, and have has nothing but problems... I guess the dvr has been bad since it was installed..... and losing all the shows i recorded is icing on the cake...

Any input is appreciated.
If he said a "Hard Reset" you will be fine.
IF he said he needs to "Reformat the Hard Drive" then you WILL lose your recordings.

Jimbo

If he said a "Hard Reset" you will be fine.
IF he said he needs to "Reformat the Hard Drive" then you WILL lose your recordings.

Jimbo

he apologetically said "you will lose everything on the disk". so he must have meant "reformat the drive".

UPDATE
So apparently, the repair man did not have to reformat my HR-20! YAY! He redownloaded the software for the unit and that seemed to have fixed the problem. He said that he has seen this before - sometimes the reinstall of software works - sometimes they have to labotomize the box. I'm glad the former worked. He said he didn't know off the top of his head what version the suspect software was.... but I assume it's the latest one that has come out.

For good measure, he also did something in my garage to the ground blocks... he said he installed some barrels (I assume for the sat cables).

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

UPDATE
So apparently, the repair man did not have to reformat my HR-20! YAY! He redownloaded the software for the unit and that seemed to have fixed the problem. He said that he has seen this before - sometimes the reinstall of software works - sometimes they have to labotomize the box. I'm glad the former worked. He said he didn't know off the top of his head what version the suspect software was.... but I assume it's the latest one that has come out.

For good measure, he also did something in my garage to the ground blocks... he said he installed some barrels (I assume for the sat cables).

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Glad to see all is well now :)

Jimbo

I have a hr 20 with a seagate pro 750 esata attached to the hr 20. The larger esata backup seems to be working. I am recording to the internal drive. If I do a hard reset to reinstall the seagate will I lose all the info on the internal drive? Is there work around?
Thanks all,
Marie

I have a hr 20 with a seagate pro 750 esata attached to the hr 20. The larger esata backup seems to be working. I am recording to the internal drive. If I do a hard reset to reinstall the seagate will I lose all the info on the internal drive? Is there work around?
Thanks all,
Marie

No.

Thanks all,
Marie

When you do the reset it will start using the external drive instead, and you won't have access to the internal drive.

However, I believe that you could reverse the process (take off the external and do a reset to go back to the internal) and whatever shows you have on the internal will still be there.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this, though... I've never actually done it. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)