Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I signed up with Direct, got the $180 cash card, I'm not a Costco member so these are my options: I can use the card online at costco.com with a 5% upcharge (not real impressed with the offerings online since they don't carry the food/household items online, but to each his own), or I can use it at one of their store locations, you get a one day free membership pass at the cust service counter (no mention of an upcharge for the one day pass).

I think the Sams offering is for $$$ off your monthly bill, not a gift card. You have to sign up in store or thru an 800 #, so I don't know if you'd be able to get the referral discount also.

The net result is pay tv is gonna cost more with the Absolute pack going away, so everyone has to decide what works best for them, and if you switch providers to try and get the best deal possible.:mad:

I agree with this and fortunately or unfortunately I'll be staying w/ E* as I won't be saving anything over the Latino Max package w/ free HD for life & platinum. Then I will get the movies for a year from E* from Starz. After that then it might be worth switching once the discounts are gone.

I have 15 EHD's of movies and shows, so I'll be staying for now. Still trying to decide which package....leaning toward Latino Max, if I get the $15-20/mo discount. Then will re-evaluate in a year.

Don't have that many EHDD's but seriously looks like Lat Max w/ discounts for at least a yr before I have to do something else.

Sorry but most of you guys are comparing penny to penny and saying "I save $5 / mo" but you are not saying one thing about actual content or anything substantial or so niche it really isn't a "must have". I for one prefer to live my life by the substance rather than by each penny. Life is MUCH happier that way! If your budgets are just that tight maybe pay TV shouldn't be in your plans.

6 tuners, 8 tuners, 10, 12, 20? Some of these comments are down right a joke.

D* supposedly has better HD content/quality.. So one can just order extra SD boxes then get HD boxes? Thing is with DirecTV you lock in the rate. E* your rate WILL go up, so the $10 discount is more like $5 PM me for an account# is you want to help me. I mentioned I have cancer and a lady who doesn't will split with me. Even if you don't have a Costco, you can sell the card.

Last edited:
Screenshot_3.jpg

The previous poster said content and I thought he meant quality. That's why I said content/quality. Now that I figured out how to get the extra $14, I need the SD box question answered. You can set the install for say Feb 4 and if they keep Absolute, then cancel. I called DTV and they said you can cancel you order before install.

EDIT: The guy wanted to keep my order, but I was insistent. I just canceled my 1st order.

Last edited:
D* supposedly has better HD content/quality.. So one can just order extra SD boxes then get HD boxes? Thing is with DirecTV you lock in the rate. E* your rate WILL go up, so the $10 discount is more like $5 PM me for an account# is you want to help me. I mentioned I have cancer and a lady who doesn't will split with me. Even if you don't have a Costco, you can sell the card.

Sorry for your ordeal but I am not to hip on someone pimping deals, items and info based on the condition. Makes it sound like a SCAM to me.

scan1.jpg
Sorry for your ordeal but I am not to hip on someone pimping deals, items and info based on the condition. Makes it sound like a SCAM to me.

I don't care what it sounds like, it's true. If you want help a random person, it's up to you. Next, I can post a picture of a scar from brain surgery next to a thread print-out if you want.

Maybe you should use the other thread you started about this instead of hijacking this one.
I didn't ask the question. I wanted to prove my word. Plus, your post is OT too. You could have PMed me.. I already said questions can be PMed to me. I showed everyone the exploit. Anyways, I plan to schedule a DTV install after 2/1. If E* keeps Absolute, cancel the install. If they do, then E* with the welcome pack seems decent. Then, I get Natgeo and can watch EHD shows on the primary box, which is free..I still think we should get the HD Absolute cancellation in writing, or do I have oo do that as well? It's insurance if you switch packs.

Last edited:
The point is you HAVE to get AT250 in order to get the Science and NatGeo channel, among others.
Did you put into account the $340 extra? I 'm still trying to figure out how to get the extra $14 off. Someone, please edit my spreadsheet and post any channels I missed and avg. price from D* in 2/yr, you count the GC as cash. I can't do all the work. E* $29.99-$34.99 is for one TV w/o DVR. I would compare apples to apples.
$359.88 1/yr ($5 Credit)
-280 Costco and referral

If we can get the extra $14 off it would be sweet. No rush until the last day of the month to order.

NatGeo (SD and HD) is in Dish Latino Dos with HD Dos (Free HD for Life), and it is currently $39.99 [soon to be $44.99 with the Feb. increases].

If you want to compare the lower Dish packs, I created a spreadsheet [Note: Feb. prices]: View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls

If you want to compare DirecTV's packages to Dish's ones:View attachment channel_lineup.pdf
That was is for DirecTV
These are for Dish: TV Channel Lineup - Satellite Channels on DISH Network

If you want only Science and Nat Geo, then DirecTV has it for $29.99/mo. in the Family package. I do not think this package will increase in Feb., but I could be wrong. HD will most likely be an extra $10.00/mo. unless you can somehow get into their HD for Life or 2 year promo. I am confused on how they actually handle that; for some reason, I think that you have to be in a higher pack with DirecTV. Then, the way I read what DirecTV stated in their increases for Feb. is that the first two receivers will be $6/mo. In addition, please note what other channels you will have in the package if this is a concern or issue.

Like I stated before, with Dish, Nat Geo in Dish Latino Dos for $39.99/mo. (soon to be $44.99/mo.). However, this package is eligible for HD for Life. Therefore, if you meet the HD for Life promo requirements, that would mean that you would not have to pay an additional $10/mo. to have channels in HD.

I am not sure if Dish Family would be available to you, but it has the Science Channel for $24.99/mo. the last time I checked. The package does not have an HD add-on, though. :( In addition, it was supposed to go away. Whether it did or not, I am not sure since it is still on the channel lineup card.

Last edited:
Maybe you should use the other thread you started about this instead of hijacking this one. Please.
Maybe not. I'm happy for the info from getstuff4less, and it is quite fitting right here in this thread. There are plenty of others talking about D* on this thread as well, so don't single him out. I got the same offers he showed here after doing some research, and D* was happy to give them to me when I asked. Most people don't know about them all, and someone educating us ought to be commended, not torn down. I bet I could find many-a-thread discussing the benefits of saving money by taking up a company on their offers.

If any of you think it's too good to be true, then just don't act on it rather than thinking it's not available.

Maybe not. I'm happy for the info from getstuff4less, and it is quite fitting right here in this thread. There are plenty of others talking about D* on this thread as well, so don't single him out. I got the same offers he showed here after doing some research, and D* was happy to give them to me when I asked. Most people don't know about them all, and someone educating us ought to be commended, not torn down. I bet I could find many-a-thread discussing the benefits of saving money by taking up a company on their offers.

If any of you think it's too good to be true, then just don't act on it rather than thinking it's not available.

I have no problem with people discussing D*, or other offers available, plus there was nothing wrong with his first 5 posts discussing this offer, but he's gone way off his own topic, PLUS he started his own thread on this exact topic for discussion. I was referring to his posts that aren't on topic. (If you'll notice the post I quoted):rolleyes:

Now all of this crap is hijacking this thread........sheesh!

Last edited:
Other continue to go OT....My OT posts, were mainly those defending myself. If you don't want to go OT then don't do it. Now, let's see who goes OT first. Back on topic..where is the D* family pack? Couldn't you get that base cost down to $14.99?

So if others are not in So-Cal change zip to get $14/off yr. two. No promises, but my hobby is to "getstuff4less" since I have lot's of time. So I am used to this type of thing. It SHOULD work. If locals are affected, then call D* afterwords. However, that trick SHOULD get you the discount.

Last edited:
Other continue to go OT....If you don't want to go OT then don't do it. Back o n topic..where is the D* family pack? Couldn't you get that base cost down to $14.99?

So if others are not in So-Cal change zip to get $14/off yr. two. No promises, but my hobby is to "getstuff4less" so I am used to this type of thing.

View attachment channel_lineup.pdf
^It's [DirecTV's Family package] on page two of the attachment.^

374 BYU
353 Bloomberg
298 Boomerang
350 C-SPAN
351 C-SPAN 2
376 Christian TV Network
371 Church Channel
230 DIY Network
369 Daystar
290 Disney Channel (East)*
291 Disney Channel (West)
292 Disney XD*
448 Enlace Christian TV (Multi-sat equip)
370 EWTN
231 Food Network*
348 Free Speech Television* HD only
2068 GEM NET Filipino (Multi-sat equipment)
363 Golden Eagle TV* HD only
338 Gospel Music Channel
449 HITN (2 or 3 LNB dish required)
312 Hallmark Channel
204 Headline News
229 Home & Garden Television*
240 Home Shopping Network
368 Hope Channel
294 The Hub
364 Inspiration Network
285 Investigation Discovery
375 Link TV
289 NASA
378 NRB Network
276 National Geographic*
299 Nickelodeon (East)*
300 Nickelodeon (West)
302 Nicktoons Network
301 Nick Jr.
447 ONCE TV (2 or 3 LNB dish required)
295 PBS KIDS Sprout
275 & 317 QVC
345 RFD TV
284 Science Channel (The)*
316 ShopNBC
801-884 SonicTap Music (5) [Note: only 5 channels, not all of them]
377 TCT Network
303 TeenNick
372 Trinity Broadcasting
440 V-me (Multi-sat equipment required)
362 Weather Channel (The)*
373 Word Network
367 World Harvest Television
Local Network Channels

I am not sure if you can get the base pack down if you are a new customer for the first year. I think it is $29.99/mo [not including HD--for $10 more a month unless you can get in on their HD promo of not paying that $10, but I think it may be just for the first two years unless things change or have changed.]. Anyone else know? I think the higher packs get a discount for the first year when you are a new customer. If you are out of contract, then they make some type of deal with you to stay. It never hurts to ask for any of the providers; they can either tell you yes or no.

Last edited:
The point is you HAVE to get AT250 in order to get the Science and NatGeo channel, among others.
Did you put into account the $340 extra? I 'm still trying to figure out how to get the extra $14 off. Someone, please edit my spreadsheet and post any channels I missed and avg. price from D* in 2/yr, you count the GC as cash. I can't do all the work. E* $29.99-$34.99 is for one TV w/o DVR. I would compare apples to apples.
$359.88 1/yr ($5 Credit)
-280 Costco and referral

If we can get the extra $14 off it would be sweet. No rush until the last day of the month to order.
To the post above. Thanks, but the family packs are gone now. :(

New comparison...$679.76/24=$28.32