Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Methinks he might have been trying to find the lowest price package from both providers that he could compare 'apples to apples'. If both don't have the family pack then it's not worth comparing.

People think it will change after 2/1. That date needs to come for us to see. That's why I suggest ordering D* to get extra $5 off before they fix it and lock n the price before the rate increase . Also, you can just create the nstall after 2/1. f they keep Absolute, then cancel the D* install. Please call E* on thier bluff, thatway you can switch back f this is a ploy by them. If programmers dn't want all HD packs then why keep Dish America? If you have a respons3 from the CEO office then you are somewhat protected.

I got verification from both E* & D* today that I can get:

Dish: Dish America Silver ($50/mo + $6 DVR), HD Platinum free 12 mo, HD for life n/a.
Directv: Choice Xtra ($64/mo. base + $5 for 2nd receiver + $10 Whole home DVR) Offers: $100 referral, -$34/mo for 1st year, -$14/mo for 2nd year, $180 Costco card, 2 free HD receivers (1 is a DVR).

Since Absolute HD is ending, I think the most reasonable similar packages are those two comparisons above. After 2 years with Dish my additional cost from now would be +$480 ($10/mo. first year, $30/mo. 2nd year). After 2 years with Directv, my cost difference would be +$168 estimated (with lots of math that could be missing something). Maybe I'll change to a lower package after that.

Just talked to a retention supervisor, he could only offer me a $10 discount. Claim that that is the best he can do. When I pointer out
some people on this forum are getting $15 - $20, said that people are posting lies here.

I know what I heard when they called me, and he offered me $15 off the current price for AT200 or DA Silver. I also saw that others were only getting $10 off for the AT120 and DA "Bronze". It may be that they are offering $10 off of the new price in February.

My viewing habits were perfect for Absolute, but to get the sports channels I want, I can't get them in the lower base packages. I'd be happy to dump the platinum channels to keep the current package at the same price. The price breaks that I can get from DTV look real enticing to get more channels (that I really don't need), however I don't like the idea of going on contract again. 5 days to make a decision. Ugh.

I know what I heard when they called me, and he offered me $15 off the current price for AT200 or DA Silver. I also saw that others were only getting $10 off for the AT120 and DA "Bronze". It may be that they are offering $10 off of the new price in February.

My viewing habits were perfect for Absolute, but to get the sports channels I want, I can't get them in the lower base packages. I'd be happy to dump the platinum channels to keep the current package at the same price. The price breaks that I can get from DTV look real enticing to get more channels (that I really don't need), however I don't like the idea of going on contract again. 5 days to make a decision. Ugh.

Are the deals they are offering NOT requiring a contract renewal? Cause I don't want to do that either.

Just talked to a retention supervisor, he could only offer me a $10 discount. Claim that that is the best he can do. When I pointer out
some people on this forum are getting $15 - $20, said that people are posting lies here.

Based on what you said, I think the retention supervisor you talked to is not being truthful. I have been offered $15 off and will wait to see what happens 2-1 before deciding what I will do.

Still waiting to hear if they are cooking up another offer for us orphaned Absoluters...:D:D:D

You guys might also want to take a look at what your cable company is doing.

I can't help but think that my situation is similar to many of yours. I have high speed internet that cost just under $60 a month. With package pricing, I'm not so sure that getting a smaller package for the few non local channels will cost much less that a non package deal with either Dish or Direct.

I just got my bill for 2/8-3/7. No changes.

bills are printed beforehand so it takes what you have currently for programming. If on 2/1 they change it your next bill will look like hell with a credit for the above, a charge for the new package and prorated credits/charges from 2/1 to in your case 2/7.

The bills are totally wrong. I dropped Sho & Starz when all this was announced and on line payment wouldn't work so had to go on line to pay. So when I was paying they would only take payment for acct up to 2-1. The bills will e changed after that time. So what is showing as how much I owe now is incorrect and we know what package we are going to go to. So when I looked the other day it shows that I owe money that I don't yet since the package info is wrong.

I pretty much decided that if I lose absoluteHD that I will either switch to Directv and take the offers that make it much lower than Dish for the next two years or I will drop satellite altogether and watch locals over the air and stream Netflix and Amazon Video thru my bluray. Television is just getting too expensive. Somebody mentioned that they were able to just subscribe to the locals only for $16. I wonder if you could subscribe to HBO and Showtime also with just the locals. That is pretty much all I watch anyway.

A trick that some deal hunters use on rebates, is that you can use is sign-up using a new SSN# (spouse?)/addy/name after 2-years to be considered a new customer. I don't even know if they check addresses,but it should work. So they type 1,2,3 etc...under apt# if you live in a house. So it would be house address + # in the apt field. I don't even know if they check your address. If you currently live in a apt, you can try 1-A, 1-B, etc.

Some people may want to consider this:
TY: Peanutious
PlayOn Internet Video to TV - Hulu, Netflix, CNN, YouTube $19 after free trial & new GameFly membership
[FONT=&quot]PlayOn allows you to stream internet video/TV to your PS3, Xbox 360, Wii or DLNA compliant device. Normally $39.99.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here's how the deal works[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]At the end of your trial, you'll receive an email allowing you to purchase it for $10 off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then when you go to pay choose "Credit Card with TrialPay" it will allow you to sign up for a $8.95 GameFly subscription you can cancel any time. GameFly and gives you a $20 discount. You can cancel GameFly online anytime - remember to cancel within 30 days or you'll be billed $15.95 per month.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Summary:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$39.99 - $10 discount - $20 discount + 8.95 GameFly[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]subscription = $18.94[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FYI if you have a Linksys DMA2100 or DMA2200 extender PlayOn won't work directly, but you can use http://tubecentric.tv/ to make it work as a DLNA compliant device. 14 day free trial again and it adds good pause/rewind/fast forward support to Windows Media Center PlayOn for just $4.99.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I love this combo it integrates nicely with my standard Windows Media Center extender setup. Hopefully this deal will still work in 14 days when your free trial is up. It should as both the $10 discount trial over and GameFly discounts have been going on for some time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minimum Requirements[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* PC running Windows OS
* 512 MB RAM
* 100MB of available hard drive space for the install[/FONT]
What is PlayON?

Last edited:
BIG NEWS just had a chat with dish
they tell me that they are cooking up another offer for us orphaned Absoluters
in a few days they release details
I am thinking Free OTA for Life

This was posted over a week ago ... has anyone else heard any details about "another offer"?

This was posted over a week ago ... has anyone else heard any details about "another offer"?
I chatted online yesterday to get some information and was told "I would request you to call back after Feb 1st"

Based on that, I'm assuming this CSR had some kind of note in the file.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)