Losing recordings on HR20-100's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
Just wondering if this is happening to anybody else. The last 2 weeks I've been recording the "Shield", and "Sons of Anarchy" on F/X, and "Friday Night Lights" on 101. When I went to play them back all I've gotten is a blank screen for the duration of the recording. This really pissed me off because I haven't been able to obtain replacements of the Shield episodes, or the Friday Night Lights episode from last week. (Discovered this problem just last night). It's just these two stations, all my other recordings are just fine. This is happening on my HR20-100. I've scheduled the new episodes on to my HR21 in the bedroom for tonight and tomorrow to see if it's just the HR20-100.

Any ideas what may be happening?

Just wondering if this is happening to anybody else. The last 2 weeks I've been recording the "Shield", and "Sons of Anarchy" on F/X, and "Friday Night Lights" on 101. When I went to play them back all I've gotten is a blank screen for the duration of the recording. This really pissed me off because I haven't been able to obtain replacements of the Shield episodes, or the Friday Night Lights episode from last week. (Discovered this problem just last night). It's just these two stations, all my other recordings are just fine. This is happening on my HR20-100. I've scheduled the new episodes on to my HR21 in the bedroom for tonight and tomorrow to see if it's just the HR20-100.

Any ideas what may be happening?
I had one of my kid's show have no audio the other day. So far, it was only 1 episode, fingers crossed.

direct is sending a tech out on Thursday to check my dish alignment. I'm not getting any of the stations in the 70's in their normal channel numbers either. HBO, Showtime , ESPN, TNT, etc...

HR20-100 has taken a video crap-out. I have lost all the video portion of more than half my channels. Audio is there, but no picture. TV is fine as well as the receiver I run the wiring through. This problem remains whether I run the sat-box thru HDMI or component. I think the sat-box is finished. Funny how this is affecting just some channels, and not others. All my other boxes are fine.

Seems that other people are having problems with their HR20-100's. Now I've lost my OTA, on top of the other problems. On the phone with DirecTV for an hour on Thursday, they promised to send a lead tech and set the appointment with me Friday morning, but not even a phone call back about the appointment. They're skating on thin ice here.

Paul, sounds like something is wrong on the receiver. I would recomend trying a "reset everything", which will format the drive and erase everything. If there is a data problem, that will eliminate it.

If the problems continue, call and ask for a replacement receiver, as it is a hardware problem.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to determine if it is a hardware problem or data problem until you "reset everything". If it fixes the problem though, it is easier than waiting for a replacement box.

Of course, you lose your recordings and scheduler, which sucks.

Already lost all of our recordings on the "LIL's". So I guess I've got nothing to lose. The problem is if a tech does get here, I would like him to see the problem. Plus, what if the problem reappears down the road (Providing the reset works)? Thanks for the suggestion Jason. I'll be back to tell you if that works, if I decide to go that route. Given all the problems I've had this month, I think a new box would be preferable. Losing the OTA is not much of a problem since I can get it through my TV tuner.

Jason, could you cahange the thread name to"HR20-100 problems" for me, so that we can consolidate some of the postings for this suddenly problemsome box for the other posters?

Tech coming out Monday, so I left the box alone . I want him to see exactly what's happening. What I want is a new box, I'm tired of all the problems.

The Tech came yesterday, and wouldn't you know it - everything was just fine when I tried to show him the problems. Locals were back, even the recordings suddenly had video! He replaced the box, but he couldn't explain what had happened. He had never seen that before. Out with the HR20-100, in with a HR22-100. Wish me luck.

The Tech came yesterday, and wouldn't you know it - everything was just fine when I tried to show him the problems. Locals were back, even the recordings suddenly had video! He replaced the box, but he couldn't explain what had happened. He had never seen that before. Out with the HR20-100, in with a HR22-100. Wish me luck.

They are a nice box.:up

Discovered something that may be of interest to those who value sound quality: The coax digital output delivers better sound than the HDMI output. I still use the HDMI output for video, but I connect an interconnect for the digital output, and found the sound to be better to quite a large degree. I think my Onkyo 805 receiver probably has better D/A convertors than the HR22-100. This was also true of my previous box- HR20-100.

Discovered something that may be of interest to those who value sound quality: The coax digital output delivers better sound than the HDMI output. I still use the HDMI output for video, but I connect an interconnect for the digital output, and found the sound to be better to quite a large degree. I think my Onkyo 805 receiver probably has better D/A convertors than the HR22-100. This was also true of my previous box- HR20-100.

I use Optical cables , sounds real good.:D

So I'm not the only one who noticed this. I came across this accidently when my HR20-100 went down. I switched out my HDMI for component video and the coax audio, and that new commercial for one of the shoe companies came on, the one with Tomlinson and the Pittsburgh safety. With the HDMI connection I could barely make out the music in the background. I knew it was the music from the, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" but all I could hear clearly was the drum beat they added to the score. When I switched to the digital coax connection, the music was suddenly very clear, and in 5 channel surround to boot. An ear opener to say the least. My guess is that the DirecTv boxes have poor D/A converters. This sound experience was the same when we hooked up the new HR22-100.

So I'm not the only one who noticed this. I came across this accidently when my HR20-100 went down. I switched out my HDMI for component video and the coax audio, and that new commercial for one of the shoe companies came on, the one with Tomlinson and the Pittsburgh safety. With the HDMI connection I could barely make out the music in the background. I knew it was the music from the, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" but all I could hear clearly was the drum beat they added to the score. When I switched to the digital coax connection, the music was suddenly very clear, and in 5 channel surround to boot. An ear opener to say the least. My guess is that the DirecTv boxes have poor D/A converters. This sound experience was the same when we hooked up the new HR22-100.

I don't use HDMI, I only use Component cables, plus to audio cables to my T.V., then I use a Optical cable to my stereo. Now I have my HR22 and DTIVO hooked to the same T.V., and when I have the same channel on both receivers and switch between the two, the audio on the DTIVO is louder and sharper. I can have the T.V. volume on my DTIVO at 12 and my HR22 on 21.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)